Itenary Suggesstions - UK

Jun 21st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Itenary Suggesstions - UK

first time to UK...with family (hubby and 2 kids)

will be there for around 8 days..out of which .and 1 day is booked with relatives...and 2 days for seeing London with a local friend.

BASE LOCATION: Petersborough

Means Of Transportation: MINIVAN

Want to see as much as I can....

Preference : Since this is the first time, I would like to touch as many things as possible, high level...e.g. Scotland, Stonehedge ....and some KID FRIENDLY Places..for our younger one...and some famous landmarks for our older one.

many thanks in advance...
Jun 21st, 2011, 10:46 PM

I think you are underestimating how long it takes to travel in the UK. Do the 8 days count your travel days? If so, Day 1 will be spent mostly getting to Petersborough and Day 8 will be spent getting to the airport. So that leaves you with 6 full days, of which you can really only expect to see Petersborough and area and London. I hope you are spending the nights in London and not planning on commuting everyday from Petersborough?

A drive to Scotland would take the whole day to get there and the whole day to get back, not to mention the days you want to see things there. Thats not really feasible or a good use of your time with so few days.

I would spend a couple nights with your relatives and see the area around them, and the rest of the time in London. You will barely scratch the surface of London and will enjoy it more if you take the time to see it, not try to rush things in 1-2 days.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:03 AM

Agree Scotland is out unless you make it the only visit.

Minivan in London will be stretching you might prefer to dump the van with family and take a coach or train into London.

With the kids and a few days of whizzing around the city I'd get out an about. Have a look at East Anglia (not something I often say) but Cambridge, Ely and the coast might be worth a trip but everything is pretty flat.

Going West
A trip to Stonehenge and Salisbury would make a long day out.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 01:41 AM

You could try the Norfolk Broads where you can hire a boat by the hour, 1/2 day or day, or go on one of the organised cruises - kids will love that. Blakeney is pretty - you can walk along the creek towards the sea and (hopefully) see seals at the end of it. Or take one of the organised seal trips. Most of the North Norfolk coast has wide sandy beaches - again kid friendly.

Train into London is perfectly practical for day trips from where you will be based. And I reckon York would also be an easy day trip from Peterborough on the train, circa 1 - 1.5 hrs away (Yorvik Viking Centre, York Minster, The Shambles). (Think it's about 100 miles by car?).
Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:22 AM

Concerning travel:
1. You will definitely be hampered by having a vehicle to deal with IN cities especially London and if you go somewhere like York; parking is nigh on to impossible and you can't use the car to get anywhere IN the cities. So I'd urge public transport to get to London and use public transport while there (and yes, I too hope you are staying overnight there) and also to any other city if such trip would not involve staying overnight.
2. If you decide to drive somewhere, I'd suggest for an idea of how long it might take for you to get places for you to use something like googlemaps to get directions from one place to another, note the time it suggests and then DOUBLE IT!!! When we made a 9 day driving loop last summer, I did this for planning; the time it took was generally about 1.5 times what mapservices/gps said; by planning for it to take twice as long, we were always able to get where we had planned without too much stress.
3. Driving in the UK, even if it's on the opposite side from what you are used to, is possible, but it's very stressful and time consuming. So I'd urge you to seriously evaluate when/why you need the minivan. It will come in handy if you end up going to non-city venues. But allow plenty of time.
4. With your limited time, I'd give StoneHENGE a miss this trip; I love a day trip to it and Salisbury, but you don't really have time.
5. The "famous landmarks" even in London are pretty spread out!
6. One idea for a roundtrip from Peterborough would be drive to York (make sure you can park at the accomodations and then walk the city) and spend the night; next day drive along Hadrian's Wall--there are often really cool kid-friendly things going on and even when not lots of places to run and explore; then go one more place overnight and then back to Peterborough. This would eat up a lot of time but you'd see some great stuff.
7. It's good you have a "guide" in London; just set your expectations on seeing only a few things, maybe 4 or 5 major things IF transport, weather, traffic, feet etc. cooperate!

Whether your about 8 days includes travel days or not is going to make a difference in how much actual time you have to visit places. And where you are arriving makes some difference, too. And when? Seeing "as much as you can" may translate to seeing a lot less than you seem to think possible but with planning can still be a great time. (I just returned from my 4th trip to the UK; you will enjoy!) All this is said NOT to deter you from packing in a lot to your days but to urge you to set your expectations realistically because of the time involved in travel. Your friends and relatives there should be able to give you good advice, too. Have great trip!
Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

looks like train is a popular choice...is there like a weekly pass...or 5 day pass for unlimited travel? i have heard in London..the tube has an oyster pass. Sorry...i guess I need to do more research..but any pointers would be helpful.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:23 AM

start searching this forum, the rules on oyster etc are all here
Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:24 AM

BritRail has train passes--they cost more than buying a particular ticket (maybe a lot more) but allow complete flexibility. But I doubt if you need a week's worth. Decide on some possible itineraries and then explore the BritRail website. (This option really will cost more than "regular" tickets, but if you want flexibitity of days and times, it might be good. We used it and gladly, too.)

When are you going?

There are 1000's probably of lines about the Tube and Oyster on this forum. Basically you need a device/ticket to get on and off the Tube. You will either purchase a paper ticket/pass (either a one-trip one--very expensive and only to be done in extremely rare cases--or a day or week pass, which gives you unlimited trips on that day in the particular zones you purchase it for and either any time or off-peak hours) OR you will purchase a plastic Oyster card. On the Oyster card, you will then "load" either the amount required for the one-day or week pass OR you will put some amount of pounds on the card (PAYG--pay as you go). Everyone on the Tube has to have either a paper ticket or an Oyster card. (Don't get confused by the use of the word "pass"--there are some touristy schemes/bad ideas that use this word. There is no "pass" in London that helps you save any money on transport costs.) When you get to London, either get your friend to help you sort out which sort of Tube ticket/pass to buy or get one of the agents at a station to do so.

(In re-reading this, I see it may be a bit confusing--it's actually easier to do than to figure out in your head! But know that there are zones across the London tube system--like Heathrow is out in zone 6 but generally what tourists want are in zones 1 and 2--and the costs are different depending on which zones you plan to travel through/in. And there are peak and off-peak day/week travel passes. Let's say you bought a zones 1-2 off-peak travel pass and then needed to go to zone 3 before 9am, then you'd just have to buy a separate one-time ticket for that trip or load up an extension or add money on the Oyster. I think this is how to explain it.)
Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:32 AM

''There is no "pass" in London that helps you save any money on transport costs''

That's not true - one of the benefits of the Oyster card is that it does generally give you cheaper fares than the bog standard paper ticket equivalent. At worst, you will pay a maximum that is the same as the price of a one-day travelcard.
Jun 22nd, 2011, 08:52 AM

What RM67 says is true. What I meant was in some cities there is some sort of a "pass" that will end up being a savings for a tourist/visitor. There's no such thing in London (the "London Pass" is not a good value). Using an Oyster card is the best way to go and probably the cheapest for city transport, but it's not the same thing as a "pass"--it's a lot about semantics here I think!
Jun 22nd, 2011, 09:48 AM

If planning on traveling by rail, then look at www.nationalrail.co.uk. They have a variety of pass offerings which may fit your budget and schedule better than BritRail. I've used both BritRail Pass and bought advanced tickets through rail websites such as www.thetrainline.com. I don't think the flexibility issue with BritRail is worth the extra money.