Search

Italy2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy2011

Dear All,

Pl. find my itenary for Italy Trip July2011.We are 5 members of a family.
All suggestions are welcomed. if i am missing any important place or thing to do,pl. guide me.
Places covered are Venice,Padova,Verona, Cinque Terre (Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore),Florence,Naples ( to change train only), Sorrento,Capri & Rome

Venice
Doge's palace Castello District,
Sant. Mark's Basilica,San Mark's District,San Polo District, Dorsoduro District.3 island tour(Murano,Burano & Torcello), Santa Croce District, Cannargio District,(Sain Giorgio Majjorie)

Padova

Scrovegni Chappel (at 10:00am), Piazza Erematini ,Academia,University,Piazza Del Signori,Palazzo della Ragione, Botanical Garden (World heritage site, UNESCO)

Verona
Porta dei Borsari Arch, Piazza Abra, Arena Di Verona ,Go to Mazzini Street , Visit Juliet Balcony, Piazza Ebre, Palazzo Mafei, Fountain di Madona, Tower Lamberti, (if time permits, duomo and romano theatro)

Monterosso
Cinque Terre—Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore , Lavento , Porte Venere ( Love Walk)

Florence
Ufizzi,Palazzo Pitti, Boboli Garden , Piazzle Michelangelo
Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Piazza San Lorenzo, Medici Chappel & Mercanto Central. San Marco, Galleria Academia, Piazza della Santissima. Signoria Square, Piazza San Giovanni ( Duomo), Piazza della Republica,
Palazzo Strozzi, Piazza Santa Trinita,Ponte Santa Trinita, Piazza Spirito, Palazzo Pitti,
Tuscany Tour (Sienna, San Gimiganano, Chinati)

Sorrento
Pompei, Amalfi Coast,Positano

Capri
Blue Groto, mt. solaro ( chair lift), Villa San Michele, Augustus garden- via Krupp, Marina Picollo, Faraglioni. Ruins of Villa Jovis.

Rome
Spanish Steps, Trinita de Monti,via condotti(Fashion Street Vittoria Emmunel Campidoglio ( Senate) & Capitoline Museum). Chisea del Gesu Pantheon ,Church of Santa Maria Sopera Minerva. Piazza Novana, Piazza Colona, Trevi Fountain, Palazzo Quirinale ,Vatican ,Sistine Chappel Castello San't Angello, Pallazo di Giustizia, Borghese Gallery & Garden Piazza Popolo, Piazza Barberini, Piazza della Republica. Reach Colloseum, Roman Forum

Looking forward to have great time in this artistic country
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on how long you are going to be there, and how much time you have allocated o each of the sites, but it looks like a hugely exhausting list for anything under a month or so.

I would recommned the National archaeological museaum in Naples if you are going to Pompeii. Many of the finds from the volcanic ruins are there rather than in situ.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Don't underestimate how hot the places you've chosen are in July, and many have many steep hills or stairs to climb. If your group includes small children or much older people, or anybody with a health or walking problem, you will be slowed down considerably.

I suggest that you skip le Cinque Terre since you are going to the Amalfi Coast.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:12 AM

looks fine as long as you have plenty of time

ricksteves.com eurocheapo.com good info guides
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:29 AM

We have been to Italy 8 times (probably 4 months lapsed time) and have seen everything on your list at leat once. I can't imagine how you would cover your itinerary in much less than a month. Traveling with 5 people takes longer than you think especially when it is very hot and people get tired.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 04:56 AM

In Padua you probably don't want to miss the Sant Antonius Cathedral.
And yes, it's going to take a while to see all those cities and to travel from Veneto to Liguria to Tuscany to Rome and then to Campania. You've got to be prepared to travel a lot (trenitalia would be the best option I think)
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM

How much time will you have--all of July?
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Definitely depends on how long you have - that would take us about 5-6 weeks to cover, and there are only 2 of us. Travelling with 5 (kids? teenagers? adults?) will definitely slow you down.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

thank you all.We will be there for 16 days.5 adults. All travel & art lovers.

4 day Venice base
2 days Cinque terre
3 days Florence
3 days Rome
1 day Capri

This is as planned now.If we feel to drop few,we will.

Thank you
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM

How do you plan to cover all of Sorrento, Pompeii and Capri with 1 day in Capri?

I think you should think about how many nights you have - 2 nights does not = 2 days, its 1 full day and 1/2 day on either side. You will spend about 1/2 day moving each time when you take into account packing up, checking out, getting to and from the train station, waiting for the train, taking the train, checking in etc. So you are eating up about 2.5 - 3 days in travel, leaving you with 13 - 13.5 days and 5 locations (not including Sorrento/Pompeii that you dont even mention in your 2nd post).

I assume you are flying into Venice and out of Rome and that those are days in addition to the 16 you have included (giving you 18 days of travel). If that is the case I would drop everything south of Rome and spend the time in the remaining 4 locations. If not, then you really only have 14 days on the ground and then would also drop another place (cinque terre would be the outsider) and enjoy the remaining 3 locations.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM

You haven't allotted the time you need to see the things you say you want to see in Rome and Florence. Do you realize 2 days in Cinque Terre means 3 nights there? I strongly suggest cutting CT or Capri.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM

Here's what I would suggest, looking at your interests:

4 nights in Venice w/ day trip to Padova
4 nights Florence
3 nights Cinque Terre OR Amalfi Coast area
5 nights Rome

That's 16 nights. You lose a day on either end checking in and out of hotels and getting to and from airports. Not to mention your family's varying levels of jetlag. Keep in mind that Capri will be packed in July.