Family Italy Itinerary - Pick it apart

Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Family Italy Itinerary - Pick it apart

Tell us what you think!!

We are traveling with 4 kids (we also have the post about the Rome/Napels car question). Kids are 11, 8, 6 and 4. We are not planning lots of museum time. The only committment we have for sure is a conference in Rome on Oct 7th...otherwise, times/nights can flex a little bit. We do have a rental car (van) rented for entire trip, but wondering if we should drop it in Rome and contiue on to Naples via local transportation. Wanting an authentic experience...

9/27: Arrive in Rome 10am...rental car and drive to villa in Barga (Lucca/Pisa area)

9/27 - 10/1 (5 nights): Tuscany: Pisa/Lucca, Vinci (we are spending a morning at an elementary school in Vinci because the school our kids go to is called The daVinci Academy here in Colorado), Florence (Accademia, Galileo Science Museum) cooking class with local family

10/2 - 10/5 (4 nights): Umbria: villa near Umbertide/Perugia: Assisi

10/6-8 (3 nights): Rome: Private family tours of Colloseum and Vatican/Sistine, gladiator lessons, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, walking...

10/9-12 (4 nights): Naples/Amalfi: Pompii/Mt. V, coast, Capri, Postiano...

10/13: Back to Rome to fly out morning of 10/14

Here are some questions: Should we allow more time in northern Tuscany to go up to Cinque Terra? Too much time in Naples/Amalfi area? What are your personal family-friendly activities? Any major 'musts' missing? Are we going to want to come back or should we sell our house before we leave? I have all sleeping accomodations scoped out, but if you have favorites, I would love to look at them too.

I am trying to finalize all villa/hotels today and tomorrow...thanks so much for your help!!!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

...one more thought...we could use 1-2 'Naples days' to go back to Rome earlier and spend more time there before we fly out...
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM

I think adding Cinque Terre is doing a bit too much.

This looks like a really nice trip with a good variety of activities.

Are you staying in Naples? Sorrento might be a good choice to stay as it's 30 minutes from Pompeii and you can get the bus to Positano from there and the boat to Capri.

I would like to comment on taking a 4 year old to Pompeii. The walking is rough and might be difficult for little legs. If you're staying in Naples then you might consider Herculaneum rather than Pompeii as the walking is easier.

If you do choose Pompeii bring hats, sunscreen, and lots of water. A sunny day, even in October, can be hot and dehydrating.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:43 AM

I think it is a thoughtful itinerary. I wouldn't add cinque Terra unless you want to drop something else, because I think you have a good pace. Sorry don't know about the practicality of public transportation vs rental cars for the Amalfi coast portion.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

thank you, thank you, thank you! I will look into Herculaneum...our little one loves to be held so it could be a long day on my back!

Thanks for the confirmation re: saving Cinque Terra for a future trip...

We love all comments!!! This is so helpful!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM

Where are you staying on the coast? I would suggest Sorrento over Naples.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM

My only caution would be that if you are coming from the US, driving to Lucca the first day may not be a good idea due to fatigue and jet-lag. My SIL (age 35 at the time) dozed off at the wheel three times during a 4 hour drive from Milan to Carrara. (I TOLD them they should not try it but they shrugged it off. End of Motherly rant)
Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:40 AM

With your large group, I suggest you keep the van and stay in Sorrento rather than Naples. (You don't want to drive in Naples!) The car will be less of a problem in Sorrento. Then you can choose to take the train to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum, or use the car. Similarly you might use the van one day to drive along the Amalfi Coast. However, the van might be difficult to park if you stop along the coast drive.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Charnees: so stay in Rome the first day/night to get a little sleep under our belts?
Sep 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM

Aj, yes, that is my motherly advice. Some people say they have no problem with it, but I was scared witless by that drive!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM

I wouldn't go into Rome on the arrival day, especially with the van. I'd pick up the car and immediately drive to Lake Bracciano (look at Hotel Massimino in Anguillara Sabazia) or Orvieto. It's about one hour to Lake Bracciano and a little more than two hours to Orvieto.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM

Arriving 10am, for me personally, no I wouldn't add an extra hotel checkin/checkout and day in Rome. If it's only an hours drive, I'd go for it. Take it easy. But get that done.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

We are so grateful for your input. Thank you!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:35 PM

If you haven't booked your flight yet, choose open jaw and fly into Pisa instaed of Rome ... cuts down on that long drive the first day.

and unless your heart is set on Naples/AC, why not stay in Rome the full week? There's so much to see and do, you could even consider an apartment for the week, slow down the pace, esp. with a 6 and 4 yr old.

What a fantastic experience for your children ... Enjoy!
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM

and make your reservations for Accademia on-line ASAP