Italy with kids- working on an itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. We will be traveling to Italy next June 2016. The plan is to have 16ish days on the ground at a minimum. Probably 20 days tops. I definitely want to visit Florence, Venice and Rome. I am torn about also visiting either Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast. Ideally, I would really love to include AC or CT in our trip.

I am traveling with my husband (both in our 30s) two daughters (will be 3 and 5 years old) and my father (65, who is in excellent shape). My husband and father have never been to Europe and this will be a once in a lifetime trip for the entire family. Since this is such a once in a lifetime experience, I really want to try to see as many cities/towns as we can............ within reason. I do know that can be really really difficult with 2 small kids. And I know that AC/CT may be pretty challenging with kids as well, but I am willing to take the chance. We can travel stroller-free if need be, because I know these places can be tough to navigate with a stroller. I was in CT for 24 hours and absolutely fell in love. But have always wanted to see AC too. What would you say are the major pros/cons to either place with children in tow, in June- with kids? Would you recommend one place over the other?

Just a little more info on our mindset about this trip and travelling.... we don't feel the need to see EVERY museum, landmark, go on tours, etc. We will be happy to just soak up the culture and wander the streets in the cities, enjoy the food, etc, and not be on any type of schedule. My kids are no longer napping, so we do not have to work around nap schedules. I hate to sound like an idealistic, unrealistic parent, but my kids are pretty laid back. They of course have their cranky moments like all kids do, but they are pretty go-with-the-flow and have done fairly well in travels in the US with us.

So I would love your thoughts on an itinerary given all of this info. Maybe 2 in Venice, 5 in Florence, 5 in Rome, 4 in either Amalfi/Cinque Terre? Obviously not in that order....? And obviously I need to do a lot more planning, we are in the very beginning stages. I just want to figure out what stops we will include, and then the real planning can begin! Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:14 AM

My two kids were 6 & 8 when we went to Italy. Venice was their favorite place and the only one they really remember from that trip. You might give it three nights, even a bit more and go to Burano.

You would do fine on the AC as long as you stayed in one of the flatter areas and did not plan on lots of walking in Positano. Ferries would be a good way to get around there.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:06 PM

What a nice trip for your family. I would plan an itinerary like this---flying open jaw into Venice and home from Rome:

Arrive Venice---3 days

Train to Florence--4 days, with daytrip to Siena by bus

Train to AC[ Sorrento or Positano or both]---5 days

Driver and train to Rome---last 5 days

That is 17 nights in Italy---a total of 19 days travel with adequate time per destination to pace yourselves. Let me know how we can help.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:10 PM

Here are some images of our last trip to the AC that you may enjoy. We have travelled Italy 17 times now and the AC is one of our favs:

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:15 PM

If you have 20 days then four destinations would be very reasonable and you could do Rome, Florence, Venice and EITHER CT or AC. You'd have about 5 days in each place, enough to do some days trips. Doable with only 16 days but a little tighter. You REALLY do loose much of a day each time you change locations.

I think the CT would be a slightly better option logistically. If you flew into Venice and home from Rome you'd do Venice then Florence then CT then Rome and none of your travel days would be horrible and you have Venice at the beginning (great place to get over jet lag) and Rome at the end before the flight home.

I think the AC is slightly more dramatic scenery but I kind of like the atmosphere of the CT area. And by CT area I mean the area that includes Rapallo, Santa Marguerita, Portofino, Camogli and Potorvene. In fact I would base in Rapallo (or SM or Camogli) rather than one of the CT villages. You can easily get around between all those places on day trips via boat or train and those other towns are just as interesting than the CT villages. I stayed at this hotel in Rapallo (for 5 days) a couple years ago and loved it - so cool to sit on your terrace overlooking that adorable castle jutting out into the sea. http://www.italiaelido.com/ I have also stayed in Camogli and like that town as well.

If you do choose the AC though I would base in Sorrento and do day trips to Amalfi/Positano/Ravello rather than trying to base in one of them. Sorrento is less touristy, more convenient and easier to get to. Then you enjoy the day trips via boat and bus rather than doing those journeys with luggage when you are tired.