Search

Please help with Italy itinerary - 14 days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with Italy itinerary - 14 days

Here are some facts:
-Flying into Rome and leaving from Venice.
-14 days total
-early to mid Oct (Oct 4 x 2 weeks)
-travelling alone without a car
-32 female
-like art (although I'm more of a expressionist fan)
-love walking and photo taking
-love to sit on patios and lounge and watch the world go by as I write in a journal

The areas that interest me are:

Rome
Venice
Florence
Siena
Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Capri, Pompeii etc)
Cinque Terre

Obviously, 6 cities/regions in 14 days seems like too much to me. What should I cut? How would you allocate the 14 days? Should I stay in Siena, and simply day trip to Florence? or vice versa? Should I cut CT and stay on the Amalfi Coast longer?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Rome 3 days

Sorrento 4 days(Pompeii day trip, Capri day trip, trip to Positino)

Florence 2 days

Cinque Terre 2 days

Venice 3 days

What do you think? Spread too thin?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Consider your travel time in all of this. You mention that you like to kind of lounge around, the trip you are describing doesn't do that, unless being on a train or bus works for you.

While we are big on cramming in lots of stuff on our trips, 14 days and 5 base locations plus 3 side locales, without a car, is a bit tough. You can do it, but it is going to be hectic.

dave
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Am I crazy to think about cutting Florence / Siena from my Italian itinerary? And CT?

How about leaving only:
Rome 5, Amalfi Coast 5, Venice 5?

It's towards the end of my 2 month trip. I think I will be tired by this stage and that I'll be tired of jumping from hotel to hotel.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Clearly I'm over thinking this?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some feedback Dave (I was feeling very alone there ;-)

I'm feeling guilty about cutting Florence. CT not so much, I added that recently to the mix because someone recommended it, but as far as coastal towns go, I'd be just as cool hanging around Positano.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:54 PM
kja

Although I can readily appreciate your desire to see all these places - they are wonderful! - I think you are wise to consider dropping a few locations from your itinerary for this trip. Assuming the transportation times make sense to you, go with the ones you most want to see at this time - and enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM

Even though I love Florence, I would prefer 5 days in three places than 3 days in 5.

As a female who has travelled alone in Italy and elsewhere, I would choose differently.

Since you are flying into Rome and leaving from Venice (I also prefer the open jaw flights) I would spend time in those 2 cities and then some in Florence.

I would places a bit out of the center so you can lounge on your patio and enjoy. Few city center options are affordable for this preference.

Florence is a great place for daytrips via bus and train. I would stay there and visit Sienna, possibly Lucca as well. Check out Il Villino in Florence.

I will be going to Italy in October as well and have planned the trip for my group of 4 couples. We start in Venice, train to Florence (daytrips to taste wines in the countryside and also to Siena), then wrapping up in Rome. It is a good choice for a first time visit.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

I would recommend taking a day from Venice to add to Rome; much to do there! And a couple of day trips if you liked (Orvieto, some even do Assisi or Florence from there). Venice is great but you will be able to get a large dose of it in 4 nights...
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Kaka,

I like your 5/5/5 plan - especially if art is not your thing. Florence is very nice, but it seems a little rushed as you mentioned. Or maybe stop one day between Rome and Venice in Tuscany - Siena or Florence just to get the flavor of it for your next trip...

I would also cut CT if you are going to the Amalfi Coast. Again, another trip - it seems a little ambitious and out of the way from Venice.

ciaolaura
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The last poster mentioned "art is not your thing."

Huh? The first interest you listed in your original post was "like art although I'm more of an expressionist fan." Well, unless you ONLY enjoy expressionism, it's hard to imagine dropping Florence for the Amalfi Coast (as beautiful as it is).

So, is it seeing great art or taking in lovely scenery? If the latter, then obviously the Amalfitano would be a nice respite between Rome and Venice.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I'll take a stab at it. In your place, I'd spend 6 nights in Rome as there is just soooo much to see and do. It's an easy 90 minutes by train to Florence and I'd spend 4 nights (Florence is one of my very favorite places). Then the 3 hour train to Venice for the final 4 nights. I'd also consider 7 nights in Rome and 3 in Florence. Don't cut Venice short as you love photo taking - everyting in Venice is a photo!! All three cities are great to sit and people watch.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

some amazing suggestions, and thank you for confirming my suspision that I was spreading myself too thin and that 3 destinations is all I have time for.

i suppose i was thinking cutting florence, because if I went to Rome, Florence Venice I would be seeing 3 cities and not experiencing a region. should I worry about that?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I would do Rome, Florence, Venice.

You will most certaintly experience the Tuscan region in Florence, particulary if you daytrip out to Lucca and/or Siena.

Florence has so much to offer including the magnifecent art - the gardens, the small alleyways, the markets, the squares. It is much smaller than Rome, so you will definitely get a different vibe there.

I would take out the Amalfi and hit Florence instead. You can do a rushed day trip to the CT from Florence, but I would pick San Gimignano, Lucca, Pisa, Siena as daytrips from Florence.

Don't miss Florence - it sounds like you really want to go.