Search

Italy - Where to spend the most time?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - Where to spend the most time?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a 13-day trip through Italy (plus two days for travel on each end of the trip). We are flying into Rome and then would like to see Positano on Amalfi Coast, followed by San Gimignano in Tuscany and finally, Florence. Our flight will leave from Florence. I'm having trouble deciding how to divide up our time - each region looks more appealing than the last! - and would appreciate any advice. We would like to see the big tourist-y spots, but don't want to spend the entire trip museum hopping. We're most excited about the food (planning to take a cooking class) and beautiful scenery. What are your recommendations for how long to stay where?

Thanks!

Brittney
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What time of year? Do you plan to visit Rome or is that just your arrival point?
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:19 AM

You could divide the time equally, but it really just depends on what you want to see and do. I would err on more time in Rome and for the AC (depending on how much relaxation you want and how much sightseeing you will do; plus considering the transit time to the AC). You really only go wrong by trying to cram too much in, which you don't seem to be doing.
Go through your guide book and make a list of what you want to do in each place, then factor in transportation time.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have thirteen days on the ground, but less than that when you build in the time it takes to transfer from one location to the next. Therefore, I personally feel that 4 different locations in this case is one too many and as you're tied to Rome and Florence for your flights, maybe one of the others needs to be dropped.

To keep it tighter location wise, I'd drop the Amalfi Coast on this occasion. Less travelling and transfer time will give you more time actually on holiday.

If you can change (or haven't booked) your flights, maybe fly into Naples, do the AC, then Rome and finally Florence.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree that you will have a much more satisfying trip if you don't try to cram too much in. There is so much to see that even in 13 days you would have more than enough to do if you stuck just to Rome and the Amalfi [just as long as we're not talking about mid-winter].

let us know what time of year you are planning to travel and it'll be easier to help you decide where to go.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM

If you are most excited about the food, which food excites you most? The food of the Amalfi coast area is much, much different from the food of Tuscany. If I were planning a food trip, I would spend the most time there because that's the food I personally prefer in contrast to all the other places you are going. Lots of seafood, great pasta, fruits and vegetables, and lovely pastries. On the other head, there are people for whom red meat and cheese and red wine are the end-all-be-all of eating, so they're happier in Tuscany. I happened to like Roman food a great deal, too, and I like the city beyond the famous tourist draws, but obviously it's not got beautiful scenery.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Sorry -- my post may not be clear. I should have written: "If I were planning a food trip, I would spend the most time in the Amalfi area, because that's the food I personally prefer if Tuscany and Rome are the other choices."
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone! We are going in May and plan to stay in Rome for a few days to see the major sites. Honestly, I'm least excited about Rome, but feel like it's something we need to see. Plus, it's a direct flight from the US.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:40 AM

If you keep the idea of going to the Amalfi, and if you continue to feel not that excited about Rome, consider going directly to the Amalfi coast upon arrival. You might find it harder to like Rome if you are sightseeing jet-lagged.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:42 AM

In May, I would definitely concentrate on Rome and the Amalfi. You will find loads to do in both places without seeing lots of museums, even in Rome, and as SL points out, the food in both places is excellent. You really can't go wrong.

It is often suggested here that a good idea is to use your arrival day to travel, so you could use that day to get to wherever on the Amalfi you are intending to stay. Assuming you will be flying home from Rome, that means that you can put your stay in Rome at the end and avoid breaking it up.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 09:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The OP is flying home from Florence, not Rome.

You could put the Amalfi coast first, then Rome, then Tuscany (pick up a car at Orvieto or Chiusi) and the last few days in Florence (Florence historic center is very compact). Timing really depends on what you want to see in each area.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 10:00 AM

I think one key will be determining how much time in Tuscany, which seems a definite given your departure from Florence.
Also, are you just visiting Rome out of obligation, or do you really want to give it a chance with a few days? There are no rules, though I bet you will like it better than you think.
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 11:04 AM

thanks ky - I missed that.

Rome, the Amalfi and Florence is a lot for 13 days, but doable and given the flights I would do them in that order. I wouldn't add Tuscany into the mix, except perhaps for a day trip with a company like Hills and Roads.

http://www.hillsandroads.com

I've not used them myself but they get very good reviews.

alternative day trips would be by bus to Siena or San Gim, or by train to Pisa or Lucca, or none at all of course!
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 11:44 AM

I don't think the OP should be a prisoner of the ticket out of Florence, other than to show up in time to catch the plane. If the OP wants to focus on the Amalfi and Rome, it is a simple matter to get from Rome to Florence, with or without car. OP might also want to check into the cost of changing the tickets. Highly recommend taking the trip you would enjoy most, and the Florence departure is just one small piece of the puzzle.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!!
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 05:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
May in Siena what could be nicer.