Italy: Where to; 13 nights in May

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy: Where to; 13 nights in May

I know: what a terrible dilemma! We have been to Italy several times, and I have tickets to Rome, FF award, biz class, May 1, departing May 15. That gives us 13 full days and nights in Italy.

I don't know where to go, and I am torn between 4 areas that I want to visit, and don't know at all if I have more of a burning desire for one or another. (We will finish with a couple of nights in Rome.) Here are some of my choices, and if anyone can help, please do:

1. After arriving in Rome, head straight to Naples. I've never been to Naples. From Naples, I was thinking of Capri, then Paestum, the Cilento peninsula, and a foray into Basilicata. My family is from Matera and Corleto Perticara. I've been on a day trip to Capri and DH has not been there. Other than that, these would be all new places for us.

2. Umbria. We spent some time there about 8 years ago, in Assisi (I've been there 3 times), Spello, Perugia, and Montefalco. I would like to visit more far flung areas, I think. However, I would also consider Trevi, Spoleto, Orvieto...

3. The Dolomiti: is early May too early?

4. Lakes, but we've been to Como and I've been to Garda, but DH hasn't.

We have to end in Rome as we have an early flight out on May 15, and DH loves Rome. But we don't need more than 2 nights.

How do I choose? We love art, scenery, history, and food.

If there are obvious places that aren't on the list, it is probably because we've spent time there, and maybe recently.

Any idea on how to combine some of this? Any ideas at all? What would you do?

If this is rambling, I apologize. I am totally confused and want to start making some plans.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:45 PM

Tuscan-you're quite well traveled in Italy. But if I were you, I'd go south, maybe even further south-but I'd start in Naples, go Sorrento-then from there take a day ferry to Capri and Positano/Amalfi, or Ischia-then for that amount of time, you could take Alpieeagles down to Palermo, a wonderful place, and see some of the beauty of Sicily-which I would highly recommend.

This is what I would do, since you have not see "L'Italia Meridionale" -Southern Italy-and Naples is where Italians go to feel "the real Italy" as it is considered so "molto Italiano" by the Italians.

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Girlspytravel:

Thanks for your reply. We have had a really nice trip to Positano, and I've been to Sorrento. I would like to go to Sicily, but I'm thinking about the logistics of flying in and out of Rome, and not adding too much to the budget, which is a joke. I think Sicily is for another trip.

But I appreciate the vote for Naples and south. I read your tips for dining and staying in Naples, and bookmarked the hotel you mentioned. Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM

hi, tuscan,

I've another vote for amalfi etc. we went an awfully long time ago [before we were even married, but that's another story.

That time of year would be perfect, IMO for atrip to naples, capri, pompeii, etc. etc. lovely gardens too.

As you are flying into Rome, the dolomites and lake garda are in the wrong direction. the other idea, Umbria, is good, but if your first instinct is amalfi, why fight it?

That time of year, you could wing it a bit, and give yourselve a bit of flexibility to explore, so long as you'd reserved in Rome.

regards, ann
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM

I vote for #1. That's a nice amount of time to include both the Naples area and some of the wonderful Basilicata. And it should be lovely in early May. North can still be pretty cold (at least to this Floridian).
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like Naples and south is a favorite here for early May. We would skip the Amalfi coast towns, as we've been and I get too sick on the roads there to think about going again. Also no Pompeii. I have been there a few times and no desire to go back.

I'm thinking

Naples 2 nights

Capri 2 nights

Basilicata; Matera 3 nights

Cilento peninsula with trip to Paestum...2 nights

Rome 3 nights

That leaves 1 night. Where should we tack it on? I don't think Rome, because we have spent a lot of time there and it is so expensive. And that's already 5 places, which is really too many. Any ideas of adding, cutting, etc?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

More Basilicata. There is so much there. A stop in my favorite town and my favorite restaurant in the cave on the Adriatic?
http://www.grottapalazzese.it/
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

NP: that place looks gorgeous. There aren't any prices that I could find on the website, but I wonder if it isn't beyond our budget.

I hadn't considered going as far as the Adriatic, but who knows? I had originally considered Basilicata primarily as a family pilgrimage sort of thing. Thus the planned visits to Matera and Corleto Perticara.

I am anxious to show this thread to DH and get his opinion. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM

There have been a couple recent threads on the area -- the towns closer to the Adriatic were my favorites, particularly Polignano di Mare.

We paid around $100 a night for the "special" vaulted ceiling room a couple years ago. They just redid that website and while it is high tech, it sure doesn't tell you much of what you want to know -- like prices. The two dinners we had in the dining grotto were two of the most memorable ever and spectacular seafood dinner for two with wine was under $100 also.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 08:48 AM
kja

Hi, tuscanlifeedit -

Sounds like a great trip! Depending on what you want to see and do, you might consider adding another day to Naples - there is SO much to see there! Enjoy.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

kja, thanks. I change my mind on this every five minutes. ;-)

Last night, I decided to replace Capri with Ravello. And to try to move Ravello toward the end of the trip, to attempt to get very close to the wisteria being in full bloom. I think I am crazy.

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM

I'm not positive about this, but I think that the 1st half of May is still way too early for the wisteria. Don't they bloom a bit later in the summer?
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:57 PM

hi, tuscan

when we were in Rome last easter, the wisteria on the steps up to the church on the top of the capitoline hill [I never can remember its name] was in full bloom. that was early april.

so the wisteria may be over by then. or not.

regards, ann
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Well! And I've been looking up wisteria bloom times all over the place! The best I've been able to do is track photos with dates. I've been coming up with mid May. I'll just have to hope to see some wisteria.

I've been tweeking this plan all day, and now I'm thinking:

Naples 2 or 3 nights

Cilento peninsula 2 or 3 nights

Matera 2 or 3

Ravello 2 or 3

Rome 3 nights

I will have to pick some 2s as we have 13 nights. And I'm sure I'll change the plan again. But so far, I'm liking this.