Search

Italy weather

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:49 PM
genny

Italy weather

Hi, I will be leaving for Italy this week for almost 2 weeks. Can anyone please let me know what is the weather like right now in the cities below? I know it can easily change but I still want to best pack our trip into a 22" carry on case (one for each me and my hubby). It's quite a challenage for me.......<BR><BR>Naples<BR>Rome<BR>Florence<BR>Ven ice<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:41 PM
mary kay

Hi, Genny:<BR><BR>We were in your cities (except for Naples) exactly one year ago from the time of your expected trip, so I can tell you that it was much warmer than I anticipated. We wore knit turtlenecks and were comfy. Had all-weather jackets but didn't need them. We had no appreciable rain. Altho we did not go as far south as Naples, logic says that it would be even warmer there. My advice is before you leave, to go to a weather website and look for the extended forecast. You might throw in a sweater for evenings. It was generally extremely pleasant our entire trip Oct 21 thru Nov 5. Have a fun trip. You will love the cities!<BR><BR>Mary Kay<BR><BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Rex

I "preach" a lot here on this forum on the importance of packing light, and keeping your luggage under control - - but I could NOT manage two weeks in just one 22" rollaboard. Especially in October! You need to prepare for temperatures under 40 degreees F, at least possible.<BR><BR>Perhaps at least consider splitting a small duffel betwewn the two of you to get some additional stuff?<BR><BR>And I always consider it easier to travel with two bags of relatively more equal weight than one more loaded to the gills.<BR><BR>Just for the heck of it, I actually did weigh my bags right before departure on my latest trip.<BR><BR>22" rollaboard - - eight pounds empty, 24 pounds packed. Checked it.<BR><BR>Small duffel - - eight ounces empty, 22 pounds packed. Carried on. This contained my 6 pound laptop, and two pounds of books. But it's interesting that even discounting those, I had stuff more or less equal between the two bags.<BR><BR>By contrast, my wife had:<BR><BR>22" rollaboard - - packed weight 25 pounds. Checked it.<BR><BR>Tote (1.5 pounds empty), 8 pounds packed. Dimensions quite a bit smaller than my duffel (hers fits under a seat). Carried on. And of its 6.5 pounds of contents, hers was 3 pounds of books. So we don't approach this identically.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:46 PM
genny

Mary Kay & Rex - thanks for your input. I am concerned because when I checked the web, it's shows range of cloudy to thunderstorm range from 47 low to 73 high among the 4 cities. Ugh, not a sunny day in sight!!! Don’t want to pack ANY jacket at all!<BR><BR>We do plan to put an empty duffle bag (about 22’) into one of the carry on. Since now we are only allowed one carry on with a purse/computer bag, I am afraid we have to put the backpack in the carry on. Also,we just really don’t want to check anything in because I don’t want to worry about lost luggage, the line to baggage claim and lugging anything bigger than the 22’ around as we will be taking the train in between cities. Not to mention the added bonus of couple hotels that don’t have elevator! This is all the incentive for me to pack this light as I would never do it otherwise. On our flight back, we will probably check everything is except my reliable travel backpack to carry our camcorder & camera in. It looks like I can pack what I need for now (Rex- I will test the carry on to see heavy they are.), but that may change as the date nears……<BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Mo

We were in your cities 3 years ago in mid Oct.. It was warm and beautiful in Rome, but Florence, Venice and Tuscany was cold and rainy.. I didn't have enough warm clothes and wished I'd had a heavier raincoat,, did have a small umbrella. Layer, and bring one raincoat.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Tom

Not flying British Airways I hope. Their carry-on limit is FIVE kilos. Yes, that's right, ELEVEN pounds. And strictly enforced.<BR><BR>A reason never to fly with them, in my opinion.<BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Nan

Just flew in from Firenze where it is warm in the mid day and cool at night. A jacket would be nice for the evening if you want to stroll and eat outside, just wear layers. <BR>It is still warm in the day in Roma <BR>too.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Tom

http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/newcities/europe.html<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:38 AM
rar

naples and rome are both good and warm, naples with some thunderstorms. florence will be ok weather, probably highs in the 60's. venice can get pretty cold now, and rainy.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:02 AM
genny

You are all great! I guess I should pack a light warm jacket much to my chagrin. I will defintely layer. It seems like the cities will stay wet and cold at night/warm in day. <BR>Tom- thank goodness, we are not flying BA, but both United and Lufthansa. Thanks ALL again!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Jack

Hi there. If you are looking for nice and very reasonably priced accommodation in Venice please send me an email and i will help you.<BR>Have a nice day.<BR>Jack