Reload this Page >

Italy--We need advice!! (thanks!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Lori

We're planning a second honeymoon in June--2 weeks in Italy, and we're thinking Rome, Florence, Amalfi, Sicily. And we need an education!! Our travel agent recommends the Minotel hotel voucher system, but I don't think we want to be locked in to solely Minotels. Anyone know much about that? Also, we want to do it on our own (no coach tours, etc.) so we're thinking a Flexi-rail pass and then trust our resourcefulness. Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks so much for your input! We're so excited!!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Santa Chiara

I have no experience with Minotel, but I would strongly recommend againtst the voucher system. I used such a system in Spain many years ago--and this was for four and five star hotels--and some of the hotels didn't want to take the vouchers, even though they were ostensibly part of the program. <BR> <BR>If you want to be truly independent, book the hotels yourself through sites such as venere.it and travelnow.com. <BR> <BR>Also, I think your plan is too ambitious. I would not include Sicily, or go only to Sicily with perhaps a few days in Rome on arrival and departure. <BR> <BR>Whatever you decide, have a great time in Italy.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Maira

Congrats Lori!! You came to the right place, that's what this forum is about! Four cities in two weeks is not overly ambitious, but for June travel good planning becomes critical. My guess you are flying into Rome, out of Sicily? Try QIXO.com for fares from consolidators. Then draft about how much time you want to spend in each city; 3 days Rome, 3 days Florence, 3 days Amalfi Coast, 4 days Sicily (I am leaving two "floating" days on purpose). Next is lodging. Minotels are usually located near airports, commercial streets (think Best Western). They are not bad, but there isn't a lot of charm and character and this is special ocassion. Check out the site www.twenj.com, a superb site for travel planning, including useful links to hotel sites like venere.it, etc. There are also tons of recommendations on this site alaredy. Definitely worth your while to setup some time to get into past postings. Guidebooks are a must; I always get Fodor's for concise, common sense advice. I also got the Dorling Kindersley' Rome for detailed descriptions (very, very detailed). Try to lay out the basics and please keep posting as you progress in your planning. Have a great time!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:48 AM
elaine

Lori <BR>Trust your resourcefulness, but in such a busy month plan ahead so that you won't be frustrated or disappointed <BR>Italian rail system: <BR>www.fs-on-line.com/ <BR>www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp <BR>www.railsaver.com <BR>Using the fs-on-line website (Dec 2000, from Fodor's forum) <BR>"First, click on English. Click on "Timetables" (You will note other possible clicks to explore later, like "Special offers" which includes family discounts, On-Line Ticket Office, etc.) Use Italian spellings (Roma, Napoli, Venezia, Firenze, etc) and pull down your date, and reset the time you want. You also need to know that some cities have more than one train station, so you need to know which station you want so you can type in the specific station name <BR>Once you are in the timetable section, you'll need to choose the train you want, then enter the number of seats you need. You may also select Seat Reservations and your class of travel. Then click on Fares. You can also buy your tickets on line, or else the Agencies page will give you addresses in Italy where you can buy your tickets." <BR> <BR>In Italy, purchase your tickets as soon as you know your plans. Don't wait until the morning of departure, especially if you plan to catch a Eurostar Italia (ES), EuroCity (EC) or InterCity (IC), as these trains fill up quickly. I believe that this rule also applies to railpass holders. If you don't reserve seats, you can end up standing on busy routes. Bring luggage cable locks because apparently ES, EC and IC have separate compartments for luggage. <BR> <BR>If you use individual train tickets, make sure you stamp your ticket before you enter the track area using one of the convenient orange machines. <BR> <BR>Bring your own drinking water and snacks for long trips. Food service may or may not be available. <BR> <BR>I hae a file on Florence/Siena; if you'd like to see it, email me. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Rose

Just cam back from Rome, Naples, Sorrento. In June you will be hit with crowds for sure. If you can hold off till mid September you will be much happier!! We traveled from Milano by train to Rome bought the kilometric ticket- good for 2-5 people for a total distance of 3000 km, stayed in a smallish apartment for 1 week, took public transport( a one week public transport pass is 24000 lire=12.00) everywhere, took our time and did all the sights in great detail. Train to Sorrento, stayed at Grand Hotel Europa. Via Correal 34, around 160/night with a view of the ocean and Naples, it is only 5 mins walk from train station, actually 2 blocks directly across. Very convenient for going to Pompeii by the circumvisuviana (train) half an hour away. By the blue bus(Sita) right in front of train to Positano and Amalfi(50 mins away and another half hour to Amalfi)the fare is cheap for each leg you pay less than 1.50. When you get off Positano just follow steps that leads you down towards the beach. Stay around for as long as you want and go to the town center and catch the orange bus up to the highway for the blue sita bus and continue to Amalfi. The scenery is breathtaking. Back to Sorrento for the night and the next day catch the hydrophole to (we can see the dock from from our room) Capri. Catch the bus or the finucula up to town, and from there you can take the orange bus to Annacapri(upper capri) or to Marina picolo and do the sightseeing from there. The blue grotto is very famous here and you can take a boat tour there(don't forget your swimming gear and towel). We moved to Naples for two nights, found a much cheaper hotel very close to train station-the Grand Hotel Europa for 80.00, request a quiet room, ours was 252 very small but quiet. We took R2 bus to the old part of town and walked around. Naples is a wild city and we don't feel the same comfort and serenity as in other parts of Italy. We go there because we haven't done Pompeii and the train to Milano starts at 8am for us. That is one reason I chose the hotel close to the train station. The Naples station is a warzone. You really have to watch every step, from people trying to help you carry your bags to theives who try to pick your pockets or grap your camera. Hold on to everything!!! Once you get out of the city you are more or less ok. Also taking a taxi can also be a problem, they can jack up the price. You can bypass Naples totally. But to get to Pompeii and Sorrento you have to get to Naples and transfer to the Circumvisuvianabuy the ticket when you get out of your train from Roma, as soon as you get out of the turnstile facing right in front is the ticket booth for the circumvansuviana, tell the agent where you want to go and he will sell your the ticket right there, turn to the right and follow the sign for Circumvansuviana ask the gatekeep which track and what time for your destination, coz the train comes here for all the different parts of the region and the board will post the destination when the train arrives. This part of the station is very gloomy and busy. Don't dispair.Pompeii is worth a whole day and be sure to buy a a guide book on Pompeii and you can do your self guided tour,the entrance fee is 8.00. Never been to Sicily myself, sorry. Florence yes and very worth while, we spent 4 days (that's just enough time) there and stayed at Excelsior on Piazza Ognissanti, too expensive, but hey for your second honeymoon!!!! The concierge will help you with concert tickets and any kind of request. Many things to see also remember Florence is north of Rome, so you have to plan well. 2 weeks is too little time to do everything. Ponder on it. Hope you have a wonderful time. Rose(excuse my typing error, have been up for 3 hours now, jet lag)

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Anna

We used the Minotel vouchers in Switzerland, I would advise against it. Most of the hotels lacked the character and charm of those we found on our own. The hotels weren't bad, they tended to be sterile than the others we stayed at.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Rose

Lori forgot to tell you you can buy bus ticket at Tabachi(tobacco shop) and don't forget to stamp them when you get on the buss(get in from the back), the stamper is the little orange box on the hand rails but for the weekly pass you just write down the first day when you use it and the date of the 7th day, hang on to it in your purse for spot check during your rides. Also the train ticket needs to be stamped before you board the train locate the orange yellow box again and insert the ticket, all ticket the supplement and the kilometric book if you buy that. You will have to pay the fine if your forgot. Also you must reserved your space when traveling long distance. Rose