Italy w/ 9 Month old?

Search

Italy w/ 9 Month old?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy w/ 9 Month old?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy next May (2007) for our 15th anniversary. We will have a 4 year old and a 9 month old. We have been to Europe before but not with children. We are planning on going to Rome, Venice and probably Positano. We typically stay in 4-5 star hotels. The questions I have are:

1. Are hotels child friendly? (cribs or just pack & plays?)

2. I am sure there is baby fomula, diapers/food available there (Europeans have babys too!) but are they similar to ours, where can you buy them (farmacia?)or do they carry americam brands?

3. Where to eat that is child friendly?

4. Any advice would be most helpful.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:02 AM

While Italy is the most child friendly country I've ever seen, I wonder how people paying $600 per night in a luxury Positano hotel would react to having to share space with a toddler and baby. Positano is pretty much a honeymoon/anniversary destination. Also, I wonder how the hotels themselves -- with their Murano glass, ceramics and other fancy breakables -- will react.

Possibly all smiles, but you might want to confirm that with a hotel itself well before you arrive.

Have you considered renting an apartment in Positano? Or Ravello? While Positano is almost all on a steep incline, Ravello is a flat perch on the top of a hill. That means less carrying both children and more room to run around. Downside is you'll not easily get to the beach from up there, so you're best off with a pool if you want to swim.

Also, in Positano, I might be wrong, but I think you'd have to be prepared to do a bit of walking from your 5 star to find baby formula. Another thing I'd ask the hotel.

Apart from the obvious top-end "splurge" restaurants, restaurants in Italy are child friendly.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I agree that Positano might not be the ideal destination for a couple with such young children. Strollers are useless so you will have to carry the 9 month old everywhere and probably the 4 year old too, much of the time. Considering the amount and steepness of the stairs in Positano, that can get old pretty fast. If you are considering staying at the five star Sirenuse or San Pietro, the grocery store is quite far away from those hotels. I've stayed at both hotels, the Sirenuse several times, and have never seen a child at either.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates on Positano. We will probably rethink, But I am hoping that someone can provide some input to question #2 Thanks so far for all of your help and advice.

Mark
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Sorry but after raising 4 myself I find the question to be flawed.
Now I must admit, my wife and I stuck with
US car vacations with ours and didn't travel to Europe with our kids until the youngest was 19 years.
Doing the math of May 07, Seems like you will be traveling with a child almost 2 years and if memory serves me correctly a bigger handful than a 9 month old.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:25 AM

We took our 4 month old to GErmany a few years ago. We stayed local and small hotels during our trip. THe baby is a great ice breaker. We brouht a pack & play with us. I would guess that 4/5 star hotels would all carry cribs. Bring a snugglie carrier etc. The have diapers, bottles etc, they carry the major producers of formula.
(nestle etc) but they are the European version. Major supermakets have the supplies. We used powder formula and bought bottled water as needed to mix. If you have any special needs for the 4 month old I would recommend that you bring enough of your fomula in powder from home for the trip. Get some of the bottles they have in Europe ( they have a handle ring that goes on the top of the bottle so they can start holding the bottle a little earlier in life). Otherwise, you can get some and start alternating with the new stuff to make sure it is not a problem.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We traveled throught the continental USA, Mexico, Hawaii with our daughter from 5 months old (took her to Hawaii from NJ) It appears that an apartment/villa is the way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations in Rome/Venice for these. At 9 months old NEXT may (wife is pregnant now, due in August) the hard part is soft baby food. is this available in Italy/Eorope. I wuld imagine it is made by Nestle(?). Any other advice insights would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:31 AM

I travelled in Italy a few years ago with 15 month old... our lodging all were able to provide pack and play (combo of hotels and villas).

Diapers were everywhere needed, pharmacy, grocery store. I didn't use formula then and don't know. Who knows if they use jar food but at that age you can do a lot with mushy fruit and cereal. I always find that I bring my supplies for a week to 10 days then go looking. By then you will know if your baby is very fussy about taste of particular formula and can decide if you want to bring more.

Everywhere we stayed we had breakfast provided and I think that is nice when trying to feed kids.

Your 9 month old will be easy.... the 4 year old I think requires more strategic maintenance.... every meal at a restaurant is likely too much for them (was for my 5 and 2 year old in Croatia this Fall). Apartments/villas can help with meals and with space for play.

I also find that too much urban city time is draining with kids (I like living in cities but vacationing with kids in cities is tough). Traffic, walking, crowds. You have to be "on" them more to ensure safety. There is more for you to navigate and figure out. So plan for time in small towns.

I agree about super high end hotels in romantic destinations with kids.

Have fun.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM

Re. where to eat, almost any Italian restaurant will be child friendly in the sense that people like kids. They may or may not have high chairs. Very few restaurants list kids' meals (which I hate - in the US they are mostly designed on the assumption that kids will only eat junk food! - in Italy, kids eat what grownups eat), but most will give you a half portion of any dish in the house (and charge accordingly).

Most will also try to accomodate, e.g. if your kid hates tomato sauce and will only eat pasta with butter or olive oil ("pasta in bianco" is a common toddler favorite in Italy). Perhaps the best strategy is to share your dishes with the 4-year-old til you figure out what he/she likes best.

It's amazing what kids WILL eat when you simply act as if you assume they're going to like it.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:24 AM
kmflondon

I have travelled around Europe a lot with my kids who are now age 2 and 4.

We stay in mostly 3 stars and sometimes we get a pack and play, sometimes a real crib. I think you will have almost no chance of figuring out if the hotel has a real crib or not before you book it unless you speak Italian.

I have always brought the formula I need with me. Pack the powdered can in several ziplock bags as they can explode in the airplane from being crushed. There is nothing like baby formula all over your suitcase and clean clothes. It may take up a lot of room to bring enough formula, but the brands are definitely different and even if you found the same brand it may be formulated differently and taste different. My kids were both picky with formula brands. We were in Italy with my now 2 year old in January - he drinks soy milk and WOULD NOT drink the soy milk sold in Italy. I wished I had brought a supply from here (I now live in London although we are from the US). Yes you will find baby food, but as someone else mentioned, your 9 month old may not even want baby food anymore. With children just out of baby food I would buy jarred or canned cooked veggies and fruit and feed that to them. Readily available at even small neighborhood grocers.

I was just in Rome - with a 9 month old I would recommend a portable high chair that clasps to the table. I have a "me too" chair and it weighs almost nothing, collapses very small, and is invaluable. I spent years throwing it in the bottom of the stroller and using it whenever I couldn't find a restaurant high chair - even at home at the zoo, park, children's museum, etc. Trust me, get the chair and bring it. Even if you think the baby will sit in the stroller to eat, you may not be able to fit the stroller in the restaurant. . . http://www.metooproducts.com/products.htm`

Another point - many many people may suggest you bring a cheapie umbrella stroller for your child. I highly recommend not doing that. I have an all terrain double stroller which has been on many planes and all over Europe. It has 12 inch rubber tires vs. the tiny plastic ones, plus front swivel wheels unlike the joggers. Mine is a Mountain Buggy, which are hard to find in certain places in the US, but it is the best stroller in the world (IMO). It goes over curbs and cobbles like it is gliding on ice. It is super easy to push. If you are doing a lot of walking over the cobbled terrain of Italy, a cheapie stroller isn't going to cut it in my opinion. Now, some people may recommend a backpack, but if you don't use it at home I wouldn't recommend it on vacation. Your back may ache after 15 minutes. If you think about how much money the vacation costs, $400 - $500 on a nice stroller which you will also otherwise use at home if you walk outside at all may not be too much. You might also look at a Phil & Ted's which has the tires but 2 seats for when your 4 year old wants to ride.

You may find "family room" hotels or hotels with connecting rooms. We generally are able to find such places in a 3 star category if we look hard. We had a bad experience with an apartment once and won't do that again.

Venice is an awesome place, but it may be a pain with a stroller because the bridges over the canals generally have steps so you will be carrying the stroller up and down steps all day long. I love Venice and would love to go back but I am saving it for my post stroller days. (But living in London I have much opportunity to come back and you may not.) Have you thought about staying in Verona and day-tripping to Venice? (I haven't been to Verona either but I assume it is more stroller friendly).

Final piece of advice on this post - BUY THE BABY A SEAT ON THE AIRPLANE! You can lap-seat a child for 10% of the cost of an adult, or buy the seat for generally 100% - You, your wife, and the baby will be much better off by getting her a seat.

Have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM
kmflondon

One more thing, buy the book Italy with Kids by Pape & Calabrese. It lists family friendly hotels and restaurants in all price ranges plus other things for kids to do. It may help you find another place to go besides Positano.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM

We were just in Italy last week with our 8-month-old twins. We visited Rome and Venice, and the babies did great. We found that most Italians love babies and were very willing to accomodate us.

We took our own diapers, wipes, formula and baby food because we were unsure what would be available there. I did notice that jarred baby food was available at the grocery store and farmacia. They didn't have quite the variety of flavors I am used to, but some were familiar (bananas, pears, apples, sweet potatoes). I didn't see anything that resembled canned formula, but I didn't really inquire about it either. The farmacia seemed to have quite an assortment of baby products, so that is probably the place to buy diapers. I was glad that we took all of our own supplies.

We stayed in an apartment in Rome. They provided us with two Pack & Plays, but they only had a fitted sheet for one of them. Their Pack & Plays are longer than the ones we have in the United States. The Pack & Play sheets that I took did not fit. I had also packed regular crib sheets, which fit pretty well.

We stayed at a 5-star hotel in Venice. The "cribs" they provided were unlike any I had seen before. I was a little nervous to use them, but really didn't have a choice. When we got to our room, the cribs were made up with a flat sheet wrapped around the mattress (which was fabric covered foam), a small comforter and a pillow. Again, I was relieved that I had taken my own crib sheets. Also, there was quite a gap between the mattress and bed, and once my son actually fell asleep face-down with his head in the gap.

People at the restaurants were great. We ate at the more casual restaurants, and went earlier in the evening. Every restaurant we dined at let us push the stroller right up to one side of the table, not always an easy feat with a double stroller. Because we did this, I am not sure about the availability of high chairs.

Rome was pretty easy to navigate with a stoller. We took the babies everywhere! Venice was a little more difficult because of all the bridges and steps. A Bjorn may be helpful in Venice for this reason. We took ours, but never used them. If you go into it knowing that it will be slow-going and you are patient, you will be fine in Venice.

Our babies had no trouble adjusting to the time change going there, but are having a little difficulty adjusting now that we are back home (we just got home on Sunday).

Let me know if you have any other questions. Feel free to e-mail me directly.