Italy Trip April 2006

Search

Italy Trip April 2006

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Trip April 2006

I am planning our first trip to Italy over spring break. We are planning on visiting Rome and Venice (we only have 7 full days). However, I am concerned that everything will be closed on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. Do you think that is the case for Venice and Rome? Also, what is the approximate cost to take the train from Rome to Venice- 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks!

Also, how much
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM

Hi! We were just in Italy for the first time, and were there the full weeks before and after Easter. We were in Cortona on Easter itself, and were surprised to find much more was open than we expected. Virtually all the restaurants and many shops were open, for instance. I would think if this was true in a small town, it would be even more the case in Rome and Venice. Also, even on a 7 day trip I think you would enjoy a day or two without any "must-sees". Churches & cathedrals are also a good place to visit on holidays! Easter was very different than what we were expecting...much more of a festival, busy, party atmosphere, than the solemn occasion we were picturing. We took the Eurostar from Rome to Venice also...39 euros for 1st class; 29 for second (a special on-line price). You can get all your train info on-line at www.trenitalia.com, just click on "English". I have a very long (perhaps tedious?) trip report posted, that I am still trying to wrap up, if you're interested. Natalie
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:41 AM

if you can't get a deal on the train tickets (29-39€ is great), try flying. ryanair now flies from venice treviso(not to be confused with the marco polo airport) to rome - both rome airports. and it's less travel time; 8 hrs on the train versus an hour-ish flight.
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi ms,

The time from Rome to Venice is 4:33 hr by ES* train.

See www.trenitalia.com

You can get reduced fares by clicking "Discounts and Promotions".

The "family railcard" is for 2 adults traveling with a child under 11. The "young person railcard" is the fare for a child between 4&11.

The combo saves about 80E in 2cl.

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM

We were in Rome when the Pope passed and not much seemed to be affected. This was the weekend after Easter and ran into many people who were there that weekend and said for sure restaurants, etc. were open.

If you are concerned about museums or sites, the times are listed on most websites.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:41 PM

Shout out to motor city girl - we were in Rome at the same time!

(Yes, it's been a long day and I find myself easily excitable.)

Hope your trip was as good as mine.

And in an effort to be useful, I concur with motor city girl's assessment that "not much' was affected. We also asked about Easter and were told it was "normal" then, too.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:14 AM

wtw...trip was great! Missing the Vatican museum and Sistine was a bummer but there's always next time. It was out 10th wedding anniversary celebration so nothing was going to break our stride!
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:19 AM

We are going to be there with our kids the same time period as you (but managed to squeeze out an extra 2 days).

We have previously taken the train from Venice to Rome - real easy, not a bad trip at all and will probably do the same thing again this time unless we decide to stick Naples (for Pompei) between those 2 cities.

I am very excited - just had my flights confirmed yesterday - time to pick up the travelbooks and start looking for places to stay!

Donna