Italy Travelogues

Oct 7th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

Italy Travelogues

For those interested in reading trip reports then please feel free to read mine.

I have three separate journals on my vitis to Rome(2001), Florence(2003) and Venice(2005).

I also have several other destinations in Europe such as Amsterdam, Berlin, St.Petersburg.

They can be found at:

http://www.colin-julie.com/travel.htm

Oct 7th, 2005, 02:50 AM
ira

Interesting site, Colin.

Oct 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM

I enjoyed reading about your adventures in Venice - you certainly are a talented writer! Your photographs are terrific. Too bad about your evening at Harrys Bar. That's one place I'll never step foot into.

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Oct 10th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira!

Yes, Monica, I've certainly learnt my lesson about Harry's Bar !! Never again!

Oct 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM

What's great about your travelogues or any other journals is that we learn from eachother. I have always read about Harrys Bar but never had the desire to go there. Now I definitely won't go there!

Monica
Oct 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Do you think I could get sued by the Cipriani family ? ha ha !

Oct 25th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Colin - enjoyed your site. Had to bookmark it for my wife. For you a visa in Pisa; for me it will be pizza in Pisa. To each his own.
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Hello Colin, unfortunatly Harry's Bar is not what it use to be. Years ago there food was fantastic and although their prices were high compared to other places one felt they got their moneys worth. This of course is no longer true. What a dissapointment for you two!!

When I am in Venice we pop into the bar before dinner and have a drink, but that is all. It does have sentimental memories for me so I enjoy sitting there with friends for an hour or so. The people watching is fun also, last time it was an old wealthy Russian with three young overmade up young women. They all clamered for his attention and he was obviously so pleased with himself. My friends and I could hardly keep a straight face.

Your website is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it. Take care!
Oct 29th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I got engaged in Venice more than 15 years ago and the ocassion was followed by a fantastic lunch at Harry's Bar. The food was wonderful, the service was impecable and to top it all off, Mr. Cipriani in person came to our table, greeted us welcome and send the most fabulous chocolate dessert afterwards on the house. No, we are nowhere near any kind of celebrities, just the way business was carried on years ago at Harry's Bar. There was a full table next to us and some guys were wearing shorts (supposedly a no-no at Harry's Bar). Mr. Cipriani greeted them warmly and chatted with them for quite a while as well. If things have changed over the years, that is too bad, because I can not think of Venice without remembering the visit to Harry's Bar as a most wonderful experience.
Oct 31st, 2005, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the "experience" but the quality of the food was lacking.

Then having to pay extortionate prices for sub-standard cuisine left a bitter taste.

Mr. Cipriani still came around the tables personally to say 'Hello' which is a great touch but it did feel a little contrived.

I love my food and Harry's Bar didn't satisfy. But as I say, this is only my personal experience.

With hindsight I would still pop in for a Bellini at the Bar for the "been there, done that" value but then I would move on.

Oct 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM

Good deal, I think you got it right, Colin. Happy Travels!!
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

shamelessly topping my thread.
Feb 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Terrific site, beautiful photos! Fun to read.

A couple of observations:
Colin IS a beautiful name. ;-)
and
"Gobsmacked" should be adopted by us Americans. Such a great word.
Mar 1st, 2006, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet; but a rose called Colin just doesn't have the same ring to it!!

I'm glad you enjoyed my site DejaVu !!
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:10 AM

I love your site. You did a great job of capturing some of the details of Venice in your pictures - beyond the typical vistas. I am going in June and this made me more excited

Got a kick out of your locked in the bathroom story in Rome too. And the 'its all going bad, we are going to die" comments cracked me up.

thanks for sharing colin.
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm very glad you enjoyed the site !

Have a fabulous time in Venice, it is such a beautiful place.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated!

Jun 19th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Original Poster