Italy - transportation from Rome to Arezzo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! I will be flying into Rome FCO on arriving at 9:30 a.m. on Oct. 2. I plan to stay with friends in Arezzo and make a couple of day trips to Florence (by train) and just tool around the countryside by car in the small places for a few days, always returning to Arezzo at night.

1. how much time should I estimated for clearing customs.
2. what would be the best train route to Arezzo? i have read to go to Termini and I have also read that it is best to go to Tiburnia. i have looked at schedules and prices but must be doing something wrong as there seems to be nothing until late afternoon. I do not feel I can make a reservation as I worry about flight delay.
3. at some point late the next week, I will be going to Venice, back to Arezzo and then on Oct 12, will be going into Rome to fly back to the U.S. on Oct 13.

I also read a post about Ital rail lines?

Any help is appreciated
Ann
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry.....that should say Tiburtina NOT Tiburnia!
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Whenever you want input on web site, it is best to state which web site you looked at.

I looked at www.trenitalia.com, and there are train combinations leaving Fiumicino Aeroporto about every 30 minutes through out the day, yes, including mornings.

Do not rely on "I have read" info regarding stations. Just toss them away. Look at the schedule that www.trenitalia.com spits out. Depending on which train you take from the airport, you either change to a long distance train to Arezzo at Termini or Tiburtina. The itinerary tells you this, and there is nothing to guess.

If you trains are "regionale" of some type, there is nothing to reserve. You buy ticket, validate using the validation machine and hop on any regional train doing the route. The reservation is needed only on IC trains. While you do get discounts on advance purchase of IC trains, the difference is not monumental and except on traveling on holidays, I have always been able to get reservations at the last minutes.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 05:06 PM

Clearing customs takes about 2 minutes - since that is just about your luggage. Clearing Immigration (YOUR entrance into Italy) can take form 10 minutes to an hour - depending on how many international flight have landed and how many agents they have on duty.

You also need to allow time to pick up checked luggage. I have had to wait from 5/10 minutes up to 45 minutes - and this is not necessarily related to number of planes and people.

So - really not possible to determine exact times. I would have a list of times for trains that go to Arezzo so you can adjust based on your landing/immigration time.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't see any advantage of going to Tiburtina. Most trains departing Termini will stop at Tiburtina on the way to Arezzo (although a few won't). I would just take the Leonardo Express from FCO to Termini and catch the next train to Arezzo.

>>>I also read a post about Ital rail lines?<<<

I assume you mean Italo which uses Tiburtina station. They only go to a few major cities, not Arezzo.
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 06:15 PM

For your third question, use the Trenitalia.com website as well.

I have not used italotreno.it but I don't think they go to Arezzo.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, you were a big help!