Italy Trains

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 09:04 PM
Jeff

Italy Trains

Will be travelling from Milan to Venice to Florence to Rome over ten days by train in late April-early May. Would you recommend getting reserved seats during this time of the year for any or all legs of the trip? It appears that many of the trains require reservations - what is the additional cost? Is it more expensive reserving seats before I leave the U.S.? I am looking at buying individual tickets vs. flexipass, but any advice would be appreciated for a first-timer. Thanks.

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 09:28 PM
paciano diaz

My wife and I were in all of these places in early May98. We did not make reservation from the states. What I would recommend is that when you get there, buy your train tickets a couple of days in advanced because some of the busy routes might be sold out if you go the day of your departure. I would also strongly recommend first class because you might end up standing up for part or the whole train ride. You also get head set and drinks on many first class trains. Good luck.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 02:08 AM
Denise

Hello Jeff
We were in Italy in October and travelled by train from Venice to Rome, taking 4 hours, most of which was spent on the leg to Florence, then express to Rome. We were in 2nd class, and there was nothing wrong with it for 4 hours or even longer. WE booked from Australia, as we had been told that is the only way you can make reservations (outside Italy) for 2nd class. We met a couple on the train who had booked 2nd class from Venice, having done it 2 days earlier. There was some confusion Imust admit, when a chap came up to them, and he also had the same seat booked. All was resolved eventually, he just moved up a few rows. Train was not crowded tho. It may be safer to book before you leave. We were served biscuits at every station!!! Tea/coffee trolley also came along. The countryside is so beautiful you are glued to the window all the way Denise

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 05:38 AM
elaine

Hi
This past Oct I travelled by train from
Milan to Venice, and later from Venice to Florence. I purchased my tickets and reserved my first class seats from the US. It may not be necessary, but except for whatever extra commission I may have paid,there was no downside for me. It allayed a little of my anxiety since I was using the train in Italy for the first time. Whether you reserve before you leave or when you get there, be sure you understand that, at least in first class, you are being assigned a particular seat in a particular first class car. Look for it, or ask where it is before you board.I did not understand that and I boarded my first train on the wrong car and had to drag my luggage through several cars, down the narrow train aisles until I got to the correct car and seat. This was exhausting, and I am not usually a wimp.
Which leads me to the next comment, which I've made in this forum before:
travel light, and wheeled luggage is a necessity as far as I am concerned. However, the wheels don't help when you are climbing up and down stairs and lifting your bag onto an overhead rack.
There is a luggage rack at person-level at one end of each car, but it was always full by the time I boarded.
The service in first class was nice:
beverages, snacks, even an offered newspaper. And a comfy seat.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 06:01 AM
schmitz

we did a similar trip last year without reservations and had no problems. there is an excellent web site that gives schedules for the date and destination you want -- in english. you can print out just the schedules you need, saving the confusion of trying to understand the ones posted at the stations. the site is: http://www.fs-on-line.com/cgi-bin/fsqueryx?lang=en