First visit to Greece

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 05:13 PM
Ruki

First visit to Greece

Hi there. Would like any info you can give me about best islands to visit in Greece, best way to move about on islands, and from island to island and what there is to see--besides Athens. Have 3 weeks to spend, hiking, biking and sightseeing.

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 06:16 AM
Paul Rabe

Santorini is one of my all-time favorite places in the world, not just one of my favorite Greek islands. It has volcano scenery, multi-colored scenic cliffs, memorable donkey rides, well-preserved ancient ruins, and hot pools you can swim to.

One disclaimer if you stay there: all water must be carried in from the outside, so it is severly rationed at all lodging. Don't expect to take an "American" shower!

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 06:50 AM
Beth

There are lots of places to go on the mainland besides Athens. I would recommend seeing the ruins at Delphi. Making a trip to see Naphlion, the tomb of Agamemnon at Mycenae, the theatre at Epidauros. I've always wanted to see the monastarys at Meteora in Northern Greece. If you've ever seen the James Bond movie "For Your Eyes Only", near the end of the movie he goes up a cliff to where the bad guy's lair is, this was filmed in Meteora where there are these spectacular mesas (well, mesa isn't quite the right word) jutting up out of the ground, many of which have monastarys on top. These are just a few of the possible things to see.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 10:51 AM
Hyalker Amaral

Hey Ruki. Aside from New Zealand, I consider Santorini the most beautiful place I've ever been to. I always rent a scooter (an int'l license helps here but a passport will do with some) and ride the entire island, including visits to the ruins of Ancient Thira (a top of a "mountain"), the Minoan ruins of Akrotiri, various types of beaches (although not the soft sand variety) with great seafood, and absolutely gorgeous views. The main town (new Thira/Fira, which is in the middle of the crescent shaped island-read the history/tales/lore of the island) has great bars/young people. The ends have quieter surroundings. If low-key living is OK, try the Porto Karra, which has the best views of the sunsets over the volcano and the hillside of white homes when the lights come on.

Beth is right though. On my 2nd trip I did a weekend in Santorini and Corfu but also went to see the monasteries in Meteora (6 hours drive north of Athens) (great history). On the way back or there you can spend a few hours at Delphi, or do a little seaside village tour. We also did a day-trip to the Pelepponesian "island" to visit the theatre at Epidauros and the ruins of Mycenae. From Athens, you can also do a 1 1/2 hr drive to Sounion (Poseidon's temple) which is also beautiful for sunsets. Have a great time. I'm jealous.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 02:00 AM
annek

Welcome to Crete!
;www.forthnet.gr/internetcity/palekastro
For any kind of info;please send me a mail

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 05:44 AM
elaine

My first visit to Greece, some years ago, included Corfu, and I loved it.
It is not like the other islands;
vegetation is quite lush, and historically it belonged to Venice, and England at one time or another, so it has some Venetian architecture, and a cricket green in the town of Corfu.
I found some beautiful beaches there.
Across the island from the town of Corfu
is Paleokastritsa, a beautiful beach.
Above the beach is a monastery, part of which you can (could) tour. On the easy drive you'll pass vineyards, olive groves, and othe beautiful sights.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 07:16 AM
elvira

We were in Greece fall of 97, and stayed on Naxos. Very quiet, off the beaten path...spectacular views of the sea, beautiful beaches, and there are a couple of khourous (sp?) on the island that you can just walk up to and touch and wander around. Naxos Town has a huge stone arch that supposedly was built to honour Apollo; the town has an old area with pretty winding streets and a museum with ancient Greek art.
I understand that there's a monastery formerly off limits to women that is now exhibitiing its icons and other treasures in Thessalonaki. Not sure what the agenda is, but if we'd had the time, we would have seen it.
Athens was worth two days: the Acropolis and the Plaka..and the national museum with the ancient Greek stuff. The city itself is a bustling metropolis (it reminded us of Cleveland except they spoke Greek).