Tips in Paris?

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 07:22 AM
kate

Tips in Paris?

I will be making my first trip to Paris in March. What is the local custom for tipping? For what services? What percent? Thanks.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 08:05 AM
elaine

In most restaurants service is included in the price of your meal. Look for the phrase "service compris" at the bottom of the menu or on the bill itself. "Service non compris" means service is not included. If you have any doubt, feel free to ask.
Guidebooks say that it is customary to leave some extra money on the table
above and beyond the bill you have paid, but I have seen this done only in the nicer restaurants and bistros, not in very casual cafes or snack bars. This extra is for very good service that you are recognizing. When I do it, or when my hosts do it, it seems to be about
5-10% of the bill, depending on how exceptional the restaurant and the service was.
I tip taxi drivers about 15% because that's what I tip at home.
Theatre and movie ushers are customarily tipped, just 2-3 francs.
If you check your coat somewhere, 3-5 francs should more than cover the tip for the check room attendant.
I have not seen attendants in washrooms, but I hear there are some and that 2 francs is customary.
Porters in stations and airports get
a fixed amount per bag--I don't know what that is currently.
It is also customary to tip tour guides, I'd suggest at least 10 francs.
I also leave some money for the chambermaid in my hotel, but that is a personal decision.
Of course, most of the above depends on how you evaluate your surroundings and the service you received.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 08:08 AM
elaine

In most restaurants service is included in the price of your meal. Look for the phrase "service compris" at the bottom of the menu or on the bill itself. "Service non compris" means service is not included. If you have any doubt, feel free to ask.
Guidebooks say that it is customary to leave some extra money on the table
above and beyond the bill you have paid, but I have seen this done only in the nicer restaurants and bistros, not in very casual cafes or snack bars. This extra is for very good service that you are recognizing. When I do it, or when my hosts do it, it seems to be about
5-10% of the bill, depending on how exceptional the restaurant and the service was.
I tip taxi drivers about 15% because that's what I tip at home.
Theatre and movie ushers are customarily tipped, just 2-3 francs.
If you check your coat somewhere, 3-5 francs should more than cover the tip for the check room attendant.
I have not seen attendants in washrooms, but I hear there are some and that 2 francs is customary.
Porters in stations and airports get
a fixed amount per bag--I don't know what that is currently.
It is also customary to tip tour guides, I'd suggest at least 10 francs.
I also leave some money for the chambermaid in my hotel, but that is a personal decision.
Of course, most of the above depends on how you evaluate your surroundings and the service you received.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 08:57 AM
John

15% service is added to your bill in all ... not just most ... restaurants by french law. No need to even ask if it is included or not. It is customary to leave loose change provided it is not too much. Never more than an additional 5%.

Old Feb 18th, 1999, 08:58 AM
John

15% service is added to your bill in all ... not just most ... restaurants by french law. No need to even ask if it is included or not. It is customary to leave loose change provided it is not too much. Never more than an additional 5%.