Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy trainpass from Raileurope and reservations online at Trenitalia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we have an Italy trainpass, can we book a sleeping car or seat reservations through Trenitalia online? I know you can do it through Raileurope but I think it is much more expensive. The railpass looks like it would pay off because we are traveling from Rome to Lecce to Foggia to Bolzano to Milan and we want a sleeper from Foggia to Bolzano. However, if we can get a special discounted ticket for that leg, then maybe the pass wouldn't make much sense. Still in the planning stages.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you can get a sleeper train from Foggia to Bolzano the entire route. I think you will have to change trains which would be inconvenient.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:47 PM
rex

I couldn't help but want to look for myself... there is indeed a direct train, #924, departing at 21:59, arriving 08:15 - - and although it stops 14 times before arriving Bolzano, it does offer first and second class couchettes.

The cost of a 2-bed compartment (first-class, "compartimiento intero&quot is 167 euro, versus 112 euro for two first class sests - - so at a minimum, I think you would have to pay the difference (if this describes what you want).

This is the first itinerary that I have ever seen for which railsaver.com does not have one of your cities, even though the 924 clearly (I think) originates there. So, I used Pescara instead (two hours into the Foggia-Bolzano journey) - - and it came up with a recommendation to get a 14 day Flexipass/companion at $221 per person (I didn't find this choice on raileurope, but I had not looked all that hard; the "regular" 4 day, two-month Italy pass is $260). I also did not try to price second class, nor a "lesser" sleeping compartment (couchettes 4 or couchettes 6, for example).

I am hoping that GAC will weigh in on this, because my knowledge of the ins and outs of purchasing for such an itinerary is a scant thimbleful by comparison.

It's an interesting question.

This is a lot of train travel (what I have sometimes labeled a "traveling salesman" itinerary) - - I trust that you will be in Italy long enough to enjoy your time between train rides!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

I am really pleased to see such good input on my question. Whether to get the Supersaver passes or not may depend on whether we can get a discounted sleeper which we should know 60 days in advance (?). This is not atypical of our trips in terms of travel - we don't rent cars and we actually love train and bus travel and seem to have a high tolerance of waiting for trains and busses in small places. We usually combine southern Mediterranean with mountain time in the Dolomites which usually involves an overnight on the train. This trip we are looking at stops of 2-6 days in Rome, Lecce, Matera, Vieste on the Gargano Peninsula and a village on the Ritten Plateau near Bolzano. I appreciate your help, Rex, and have enjoyed reading your suggestions and comments to others over the years so am particularly glad for any input.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:43 PM
rex

You're most welcome. I would never be content to do a trip such as this (or others you have apprently taken) without the "empowerment/freedom" that comes from having a car. Combining the two opposite ends of Italy provides you the incentive to want to avoid that long drive I guess.

Although I don't get the impression that Ben Haines has traveled in Italy a lot, I am putting his name here. I think he searches for his name, and might take the inclination to weigh on on your questions.

And you might put a direct request for review, on some other thread by GAC - - perhaps will improve the chances of being noticed.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:42 AM
GAC

linawood: Between Foggia and Bolzano, how does 90 Euros for a twin sleeper sound rather than 167 Euros? That's 90 Euros for TWO. How so?

Purchase under the "Freedom to Travel" promotional rate up to 60 days in advance, and choose the 45 Euro fare (per person) for a twin sleeper.

An ordinary reserved first class seat on this same train can be purchased for as little as 15 Euros per person, with the same promotional rate.

Read the rules and regulations concerning this promotional fare on the website.

You may find that the trainpass is less advantageous than buying point to point with Trenitalia's fabulous advance purchase promotional rates.

Read up on the "Freedom to Travel",
"Eurostar a 29 Euro" and "Sabato di Trenitalia.com" promotions, on the website, or read my numerous postings in this regard.

www.trenitalia.com
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
rex

I am so glad to see this info from GAC on getting a better price. I knew that my familiarity with discounted pricing available from trenitalia was very much at the "rank amateur" status.

It'e enough to make one wish that we could attach a message to the raileurope website... if you're even considering the purchase of a "rail pass" for train travel in Italy, go to Fodors Travel Talk and get GAC's advice first.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM
GAC

Rex: what a compliment! I'm really honored (and touched) by your generosity!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

What wonderful advice from the experts! I really appreciate it and will definitely try for the promotional fares. Even for an intensive train travel trip, it looks like the pass is not necessarily the best deal and it is worth looking at other options. Thanks so much for your input.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
rex

Well, I didn't mean to make you blush... but it's just the truth.