Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy: ?? about Rail Travel

1. How long and what is the approximate cost of the train rides from:
a. Venice to Florence?
b. Florence to Rome?
c. Rome to Sorrento?

(Obviously on different days)

2. How late do the trains run?

3. When is the best time of day to travel?

Thanks!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:22 AM

Jennifer,

www.trenitalia should answer most of your questions. Do not bother trying to purchase online though - just head to a travel agency or train station in Italy with schedule printouts from the sites a few days before your first train journey.

Obviously, trains are more crowded at rush hour (7-9 AM and 5-7 PM), on weekends and on public holidays. At those times, I would go for 1st class. Always book a seat if this is possible on the train you will be taking.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:46 AM

Jennifer -

2nd/1st Eurostar fares are:

a. €27.00/39.50 (appr. 3 hrs)
b. €29.50/42.50 (95 mins)
c. €22.50/33.00 (1 hr 50') to Naples
- plus €2.90 (70 mins) Naples-Sorrento (Circumvesuviana)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old May 31st, 2003, 08:41 AM
RAR

www.trenitalia.com
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:17 AM

Good work Steve, but she really needs to learn how to fish.
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:31 PM

no, the point of this site is to learn something not just to save time by having other people look stuff up for you.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

I guess it depends on what you are seeking -- I am from NYC and try to help visitors by providing as much detailed information as possible - traveling to foreign countries and cities can be overwhelming, especially when you work long hours and do not have ample amount of leisure time to research things that you would do if you worked a 9-5 job. As I work very long hours, my time to plan a vacation is limited. I assume others have limited time to do the same.
Old May 31st, 2003, 11:49 PM
Bootman4U

Sorry but working long hours etc is a bunch of bull...I guess those long hours include asking questions on this site, too?....giving someone a very reliable source for train informatgion is not condescending...condescending is expecting others to act as a free travel agent.

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

boy this got way out of hand, bootman, if you noticed, bob's remarks added nothing but hostile sarcasm - the link to the train info provided by others was extremely helpful. Steve's info was above and beyond - extraordinarily generous and thoughful- bootman, no need to reply as i have already wasted enough time on this banter
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:30 AM

"bob's remarks added nothing but hostile sarcasm"

Excuse me, but your response, "Word of advice...get a hobby (away from the computer) to socialize and see how secure people interact with one another. Oh, and you'd probably benefit from biweekly therapy too." seems to me to be far more hostile sarcasm.

Bob has been around for a long time and offers invaluable assistance to travelers. Incidentally, banter is "sarcastic teasing." Hardly a good description of this thread!

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:46 AM

Anytime anyone on this forum posts that someone else should "get a life", "get a hobby" or "get therapy", little flashing lights go on in other people's heads all over the world. Remember, friends...civility.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:09 AM
ira

PS

Try www.venere.com or do a search for "hotel" and "city".
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 03:30 PM
RAR

I agree with Bob. It's simple: the source of the information is going to be more helpful, in all cases, than someone giving it 2nd hand.

It's really not that hard to go to google.com and type in "Italy trains". Guess which is the first site to be listed? Trenitalia.

It's not that she was "wrong" to come here, it's that she could have been more intelligent in where she looked for her info.

If she came asking "what do you think about the ride/classes/amenities/comfort/fun" of the trains then it would be different.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here we go again... What was the quesion?
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:39 AM
Bootman4U

The one ANSWER that wasn't given is this: when she gets to Italy she should make all her reservations at the same time if possible. Unfortunately, I recently had to make a reservation in Milan since my plans after arrival in Italy suddenly changed. Since I usually make reservations in advance through an agency here for the sake of convenience, I thought about all the folks who post here telling everyone about all this money they're going to save by not using Raileurope, etc., for reservations.
Well, folks, after getting the ticket out of the machine for the opportunity to WAIT in line for the next reservation aganet to become available, and then waiting for almost TWO hours to get that reservation (it was for a Eurostar five days hence and there were not two window seats available) I am more convinced than ever that making reservations IN ADVANCE is a good alternative. When I think of all that time I could have been "soaking up the local culture" it makes me sad.
I trust for all of you who are so thin-skinned that this reply was "civil" enough.

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Or you can go to an American Express office after you arrive and purchase/reserve all tickets. No commission fee.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:07 PM

In March 2000 it cost me about $85US and I went from Rome to Florence. Florence to Venice and then from Venice back to Rome. At that time the dollar was at an all time high against the lira. The dollars not doing as well against the Euro so expect a big increase.
As far as how late the trains run it depends, but you should be able to find one that fits your schedule.
The best time for me was mid morning and I found it cheaper to buy one way tickets instead of a rail pass.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:31 AM

We made the trip from Rome to Florence and then Florence to Venice by Eurostar last week. It was very pleasant. We bought 1st class tickets at the station using print-out info that I had obtained from the Trenitalia site. It was very easy. First class tickets are about $40 euro, 2nd class $26 euro. Dont' know how late the trains run, we made our trips mid-morning so we could see the countryside as we traveled.