Italy Train travel

Oct 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Italy Train travel

Any difference between ES ( I know they are the best choice) and the A train from Rome to Florence, the price is the same, and the length of trip is the same. Just trying to pick the best time to leave town.
thanks!
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM

ES and AV are the fastest trains, but not much different. Such a short trip as Rome/Florence (90 minutes) it really doesn't matter. The AV is a high speed train but th lines between Rome and Florence aren't so really no difference in time. Sometimes the AV offers 2for1 specials on some routes - look for DueperUno under fares.
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

awesome, thanks.
Have you purchased Amica fares while in Italy. I know I have til midnight the day before travel - do you think buying them 3 days in advance is enough?
Better to pay in cash at the window then with credit card at a machine, since I'll get a better exchange rate, right?
Oct 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM
ira

Hi G,

>Better to pay in cash at the window then with credit card at a machine, since I'll get a better exchange rate, right?<

If your bank adds a conversion fee, it is usually cheaper to get cash from an ATM.

If you get cash from an exchange bureau or your bank at home, it will cost more than a CC.

Oct 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Av or Alta Velocidad or some such wording is just the latest version of the ETR trains known as ES or EuroStar Italia - slightly faster if conditions allow it and brand new practically so probably more comfy and modern.

They main run Naples-Rome-florence i believe and were just introduced last year i think when the new high-speed Rome-Naples line opened.
Oct 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I guess AV means Alta Velaro?

got Spain's AVE mixed up as Alta Velocidad i believe.
Oct 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM

AV stands for Alta Velocità which means "high speed".
I wouldn't worry about the type of train. Choose the one that has departure and arrival times which suit your schedule.