Reload this Page >

Italy train strike March 3-4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:06 AM
howard

initaly website reports the following: "Italy trains are expected to strike from March 3rd to 4th (from 9 p.m. to 9 p.m.). Strike is for the new contract."

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:09 AM
howard

Oops, wrong source. That info was from the veniceword website.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Brenda

Howard, thanks for sharing. I've been to Italy several times and (knock wood) been fortunate to not encounter those infamous train strikes. However I'm sure if I make enough trips then I'll "be lucky" to have a first hand experience. <BR> <BR>However for those who have seen an Italian train strike first hand, exactly what happens? For instance if you're in transit on March 3rd, do they complete the trip? Assume they don't literally stop & abandon the train mid-trip? What if you've purchased a ticket on the day before? <BR> <BR>Would like to hear some folks' trials/tribulations who've had to suddenly change to 'Plan B'.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Very interested

Help with a "Plan B." <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Walter

Thanks Howard, It looks like I'll also need a "Plan B" from Milan to Verona. I was debating on public transport vs renting a car for my trip and choose the trains/buses, perhaps it's time to reconsider. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:31 AM
howard

As the original poster, I feel a "sense of responsibility" here! I can't offer any alternatives other than the obvious of renting a car. But, I can offer a glimmer of hope: Italian strikes are famous for not taking place! For example,on our first trip there, our Italian friends greeted with the news that a four-day strike of gasoline station owners had started that day. The four-day strike lasted about four hours!

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:33 AM
pam

According to Rick Steves (whom I am aware has a mottled reputation), during a strike ("scoperto"), you stand a good chance of getting a train if you wait at the station. They run behind schedule or something but chances are good they'll run--again, this is not from my own experience. Thanks for the update, Howard.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Bob

Today's "il Messaggero" has an article describing the train strike problems they experienced this past weekend, especially in Milan. They are also predicting protests of the railroad union beginning at 9 PM on March 3rd until 9 PM on March 4th. There will also be a protest at 9 PM on March 5th. If these protests take place, then disruptions in the train service should be expected during this period. Its possible that the labor differences could be resolved by then but don't bet on it. If you can read italian, the article is the first one on page 8 of the Nazionale edition of this web site: "http://www.ilmessaggero.it/indexmsgr.htm"

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Walter

Don't worry Howard there's no responsibility for "being the bearer of bad news" unless you were an ancient messenger). <BR> I'm leaving March 1 and I've been on the fence on whether to rent a car or not but leaning towards the train/bus . After reading Bob's post I decided to call AutoEurope. They're having a "special" (free upgrade) so a 9day midsize rental is only $325US inclusive. So in my case strike or not things have worked out for the best. Thanks again for posting and Thanks Bob for that extra detailed info. Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Joanna

I have had personal experience of two train strikes in Italy. The first was in October 96 when we were supposed to travel from Assisi to Rome by train. We had accommodation at the Sheraton in Rome paid for, so needed to get there. Plus, the following day I had to get a flight to Palermo from Rome. We ended up paying for a cab all the way from Assisi Station to our hotel - cost us L150,000 each (there were 2 of us - neither of us can drive). <BR> <BR>The next day the metro was also on strike, so had to walk from Via Veneto to Termini to get the train to the airport, the only one that seemed to be going! Luckily I had an overnight bag only. By the time I got back to Rome the strike was over. <BR> <BR>In late October 1998, our last day in Rome for that trip, we woke to see news of a strike on the TV. Luckily our (very nice) hotel was a 5 minute walk north of Termini, so no problems getting to the airport. For some reason, the airport trains keep going when all others are on strike, thank goodness. We saw enormous queues for taxis for those people who'd just arrived off the trains.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 03:59 PM
gluck

We had a plan b for Italy last year, fortunately never had to use it. The travel guides usually list alternative bus services, or we were prepared to do as Joanna did and bite the bullet for a taxi to our next destination. Since rail strikes usually last only a day, this was a more feasible plan b than renting a car.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 07:48 AM
De-Railing!

Italy train strike expected? Expected? Italy doesn’t make it that convenient when it comes to train strikes. Last fall I was tied up in knots after a poster mentioned a possible train strike just before I left for Italy. I thought about canceling the trip. I didn’t — Thank God! The strike never happened. The possibility, in fact, was never even brought up in Italy while I was actually there. I’m not sure it’s wise to bring up the subject. It only creates needless anxieties — and the predictions are usually wrong anyway. And the strikes, if they do happen, are famously brief.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:51 PM
oh-no

Any more??? Do we have any idea if this strike will or will not occur?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 07:37 PM
david

i think de railing got it right. We were in florence in may '99 and the trains struck. All it amounted to was a delay at the train station and an opportunity to meet a number of other befuddled travelers from aroiund the world. I think our schedule was seyt back 1 hour at most. I had read about the strike before leaving and posted a similar question and got similar responses back then. It happens so often that they are considered nothing more than work slowdowns. Get to the sttion early so if there is one or two trains not running you get in a good position to take the one that is.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Paule

Italy train strikes are planned and often occur with some frequency; they may be widespread or they may be limited to a certain region. I was in Italy 2 summers ago, and the planned strike affecting service between Milan and Venice occurred the very day I was planning to go from Milan to Venice. I was lucky enough to get the information before I left the States, and so, rented a car for one day (talk about extravagance!) from Auto Europe rather than cutting short our visit to Venice. We could've waited at the train station, but that meant a long wait for the few trains that were coming through; or, we could've stayed an additional night in Milan and lose the day in Venice. But I didn't want to sacrifice the stay in Venice, so we just picked up a car, drove to Venice and dropped it off. I figured it was my vacation, and what was another $100 anyway. <BR> <BR>Don't make the mistake in thinking that a strike won't happen, however. It's a good possibility that it will be settled, but do have a Plan B ready.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Steve James

There is also a strike planned for 24 hours starting at 21.00 on 24th March, reported today in La Repubblica.