Italy - Train or drive

Search

Italy - Train or drive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - Train or drive

Following a one week choral group tour in late May (three nights each in Orvieto and Rome) we then have 3 1/2 days (Wednesday AM to Saturday afternoon) until we arrive in Poppi (outside Florence) for a week-long cooking school, then flying home through Florence. We plan to have a car that last week for side trips, and also want to make good use of our 3-day interim period. Our first thought is to try to get to Pompeii and Sorrento for a day or two, work our way North into southern Tuscany, then get to Poppi by Day 4 - afternoon.

First option is to take the first tour's shuttle to FCO (already paid for) and rent a car at FCO for the rest of the trip.
Second option would be to use trains for the Rome - Pompeii/Sorrrento - Rome trip - then rent a car at FCO and drive North
Third option would be to use trains for everything until we get to Florence, then rent a car at FLR for the last week.

We will not be driving in Rome or Florence! My intuition is that I would want a car for the drive from Rome to Poppi, as we could stop at least one day/night somewhere in Tuscany. We have been to Siena and Florence, and will have opportunity to explore around Florence/Poppi during our "school week." I'm a bit concerned about using only trains for the interim trip, as we are not the best "bag wranglers."
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM

I think that using a car for the Rome to Poppi leg is a good idea.

I'm actually not sure about making the dash all the way to Pompeii and Sorrento for just a night or two. If you do so, you won't really have time for the drive through southern Tuscany.

I would pick one or the other:
1. Train all the way from Rome to Sorrento. Spend your time in that area. Late May will be so lovely.
or
2. Skip the Pompeii/Sorrento leg, rent the car at FCO since you have already paid to get there, and see an area like the Val D'Orcia.

Are you not going to Florence? It isn't clear from your OP.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 03:54 PM

This may help. I would get the car as you leave Sorrento and avoid FCO.

DRIVING IN ITALY & SOUTHERN EUROPE

Q. SHOULD WE DRIVE IN ITALY?
A. Of course you should if your driving skill & confidence would allow you to drive a rental car in Vermont, Colorado or California. But, be advised of these tips:
* Avoid driving in the major cities except for picking up or dropping cars
* Have good maps—study them in advance—and have a GOOD NAVIGATOR.
* Stay in the right lane except when passing and use your rear view mirrors

Q. WHAT CAR SHOULD I GET AND WHERE DO I GET IT?
A. It is best to rent your car before you leave for Europe. The best source we have found is www.autoeurope.com [888-223-5555] who is a broker for several car vendors. They will quote you prices to include the variables that are often omitted by others, such as unlimited mileage, mandatory insurance coverage with some deductibles, and VAT taxes. It is wise to compare prices and coverage with their sister company at www.kemwel.com. Autoeurope will match any comparable quote, and are famous for their customer satisfaction if problems do arise with the vendor. The best model will depend on your needs, but for best value we suggest you select a compact car with manual transmission. Automatics are available but will cost you about 30% more and may limit your model options & pick up locations.

Q. ARE ITALIAN DRIVERS AS CRAZY AS I HAVE HEARD?
A. Yes & no! They are certainly aggressive, but they are also more skilled than many USA drivers—both are a function of necessity. Italy is one of the most crowded countries in the world and the drivers have evolved these characteristics
* They are notorious tailgaters. If that bothers you, pull over and let them past.
* On the AUTOSTRADE they will drive fast, but will stay in the right lane except when passing and will use their blinkers when passing—YOU SHOULD TOO !
* They will often pass on 2-lane roads with traffic coming. Frankly, they expect you, and the oncoming car, to adjust to the shoulder and make 3 lanes of traffic.

OTHER ROAD TIPS FOR YOUR DRIVING SANITY:
1. Learn the meaning of the sign “ SENSO UNICO” and take heed [ONE WAY ].
2. Be sure to get your ticket when you enter the AUTOSTADA system & be prepared to pay the toll when you exit it [ rule of thumb—300 km=15 Euro]. You can use your credit card in the VIA lane at the toll both, or buy a debit VIACARD in advance.
3. Do NOT attempt to follow road numbers—that will frustrate you. But, do pay attention to the directional signs that point to your destination [ TO MONTALCINO]. And, be aware if that road leads eventually to a larger city [ ROMA—SIENA ETC.]
4. Unless you have a diesel car, you will want to fill the tank with benzina from the green pump. Most stations will pump gas for you and will take credit cards.

NOTE: As of 2005, an International Drivers Permit [IDP] is required in Italy.
You can obtain them from your local AAA office. You will need a valid US driver’s license, two passport photos, and $20. The photos can be taken at the AAA office.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Driving tips, ZTL's:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:39 PM

Bob-587 are you doing the cooking week at Tuscookany? If so (and especially if your chef is Paola) you are in for a big treat!
You will definitely be glad to have the car while you are there.
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Raincitygirl - YES! Tuscookany and Paola! Really looking forward to a fantastic week. My wife is a little apprehensive about taking the full cooking class (She prefers to let me do most of the cooking at home - smart girl!) But, I think she will enjoy participating. Any feedback from your experience?
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 03:46 AM

If you decide to pick up the car in FCO, then I suggest that you head directly to Pompei and see it en route to Sorrento.

If you decide to use trains to go south, then I would take a train to Napoli and then either (a) get a taxi from the train station to Sorrento if you get stressed carrying luggage or (b) get a taxi to the docks of Napoli and a ferry to Sorrento if you'd enjoy that more. Most people take the commuter train from Napoli to Sorrento because it is cheap. It's not that hard, but you will be wrangling your bags.

From Sorrento, yo can take a day trip to Pompei using the commuter rail. To get to Poppi, pick up a rental car in Sorrento.

Would be nice to have an overnight if you are driving from Sorrento to Poppi to break up the long hours on the road.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
driving in Napoli and down to Pompei

No way
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 07:19 AM

Bob, that is fantastic, you are going to love it. I went with two friends, one of whom could not cook AT ALL and was very apprehensive…she was so pleased with what she accomplished while there.
It is fun but at the same time it is work too, but you learn so much and make such delicious food which you get to eat at a beautifully set table with appropriate wine pairings and a full liqueur cabinet to raid at leisure after the meal. And the camaraderie of cooking together in their wonderful kitchen with singing and joking around…can't be beat.

Paola is a force to be reckoned with, just a warm, dynamic, beautiful person. My husband and I met up with her for lunch in October and it was good to see her again. Please tell her that her Vancouver Paula says a big hello.

Casa Ombuto is a lovely property, lots of nice places to go for a long walk, the pool and hot tub are great and it is all so beautiful you won't want to leave.

One of my favourite things was the excursion day they take you on, to be remembered always!
Have fun and tell your wife not to worry, she's in for a treat.
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 07:45 AM

Driving tips - crush the pedal and get out of the blocks first! And watch out for those d scooters coming from all angles!
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 08:08 AM

don't neglect no go zones in cities where private vehicles may be banned - there have been so so many fodorites posting that they got tickets in the mail after returning home for violating these zones that they never realized they (illegally) entered! Towns like Sorrento may have these.