Reload this Page >

Italy -Take the train or rent a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Ben

My wife, my parents and I are spending ten days in Italy in October - flying into Rome and out of Venice. A friend said the best way to see Italy is by train. But to see some of the smaller towns its seems that a car might be better. Any thoughts?

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 10:48 AM
my 2-cents worth

It really depends upon your itinerary. You'll be starting in Rome, and when there, you definitely don't want a car. Once in Venice, a car is useless. So the question is what & where do you plan to be in-between these two cities? If you want to see some of the smaller towns, you could rent a car and drive from Rome to Venice --- however you said you're only spending 10 days in Italy and so it doesn't seem you'll have much time to meander from one to the other. Train travel is excellent in Italy between the major cities (uh, provided there's not a strike, and if so, they tell you ahead of time).<BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Elfie

I agree. It does depend on what you want to see. If you want to go to Florence you definetly do not want a car there either. The streets are narrow and alot of one way streets and the Italian drivers on mopeds or cars are crazy drivers. My husband and I rented our car in Nice and drove all thru Italy 2 weeks ago and once we arrived in Florence it took us 2 hours to find our hotel. Everyone with a car gets lost and frustrated driving in Florence. Now if you want to see the Italian riviera or Tuscany for that matter, go to the Gucci or Prada outlet, a car would be great but it sounds like 10 days is not alot of time to meander and I have had my car for a month now and If I would do it over again I probably would train it instead. Less stress and just as enjoyable. We trained it from Frankfurt to Paris and then from Paris to Nice and just loved it. First class is the way to go too. Now we are driving thru Croatia and then heading to Rome. I almost wish we could train it. I must admit neither of us are looking forward to driving in Italy again.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:15 PM
donna

My suggestion:<BR>Rent a car from major city drive through countryside turn in car next major city. Get the ideal DON'T DRIVE IN MAJOR CITIES AND YOU WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:47 PM
mireille

Good advice,pick up a car when you're ready to leave Rome.I would try to pick it up at the airport,I can't imagine driving through Rome! It's up to you and your comfort level but remeber an automatic,that's if your're American may be easier to drive and needs to be reserved.The other important thing to remeber is to get a cat big enough for all of you and your luggage.I would opt for the car,the trains have been on strike a couple of times this month!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Erin

Dear Ben,<BR>My family and I spent 2 weeks in Italy this summer and we had someone drive us all through Italy and we're glad we did. I am a pretty good driver here in the US but I could never have driven there. It's unbelievable haw they drive. Plus everywhere we went, we got dropped off in front. You have to schlep your luggage on the train and up and down the steps. No thanks. We enjoyed being chauffered. Just a suggestion

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Wayne

I must take the side of the people recommending that you drive, but not in the cities. Rent a car when you are leaving Rome, and turn it in when you arrive at Venice. In between, use the car to get to villages and sights that you can't visit or see from a train.<BR><BR>Whether you have the time to drive and spend enough worthwhile days in the countryside is really up to you. If you stay 4 nights in Rome and 3 nights in Venice, I would assume you have 3 nights left for Tuscany. The drive from Rome to central Tuscany takes only about 3 hours, and from wherever you stay, you can then visit other charming places in the vicinity. Then from central Tuscany to Venice will take another 3 hours, approximately.<BR><BR>Therefore I am for the car, which is a much better way to see Italy than the train. Anyone who says otherwise simply hasn't driven in the Italian countryside.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:01 AM
CW

I'll share my experience for you to factor in...<BR>I spent 14 days in Italy and travelled by train, it couldn't have been better.<BR>I have never driven in Italy so I can't compare the two. <BR><BR>My itinerary was city to city: Rome-Floerence-Venice-Milan<BR><BR>Inter-cty trains are cheap, regular, reliable, fast, comfortable and brought me directly to the centre of each city. <BR>My travelling couldn't have been easier in any way.<BR><BR>Railway info and timetabls are on-line in English:<BR>http://www.fs-on-line.com/home/en/index.html<BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Duke

I think I agree with the general concensus above: No car in Rome. This is a definite. None needed in Venice. In the middle....drive Tuscany.<BR><BR>From Rome to Tuscany a car is the best way to stop and enjoy the countryside..when you want, where you want.<BR><BR>We did a 2 week trip a few years ago with another couple and drove Milan Airport to Venice to Siena to Portovenere to Bellagio and back to Milan with no problems. Stayed in Siena 7 days and took side trips in our car all over Tuscany. Very enjoyable.<BR><BR>I disagree with the comments on Florence. We found a parking spot and had no problems. I also did the same in Florence in 1971. <BR><BR>All major cities, even in the US, tend to be a hassle. Italian large cities are no different. Rome is in a class all by itself for hassle but the other cities are doable with a good map and front seat navigator.<BR><BR>Rent a van, not a car. That way you will be comfortable with 4 people and the luggage you need to carry. Be sure the rental company can confirm you will receive a van.<BR><BR>Venice: Turn in your car there as you will not need one and cannot use it in town anyway.<BR><BR>Bottom line: We always drive in Europe as we do not like the scheduling and mass transit train stations that restrict where you can go. Then you have to load your luggage on and off quite a bit. THen get a cab to the hotel or walk with your luggage. If you would not really want to train to see the US you would probably not be good on a train in Europe. Most of the train people just are afraid of driving but would enjoy it if they tried.....my opinion and sure to be disagreed with.<BR><BR> CHOO! CHOO!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 11:03 AM
driven

I drove from Rome to FLorence and then on to Venice. It's great. Just get a map or have directions once u are off the highways. Florence was a mess to get our hotel. But, once there u walk and park at the hotel. Just make sure u can park at the hotel.... Trust me

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 01:16 PM
nancy

this past spring,<BR>I went to Venice,<BR>then my friend and I took the train to Milan,<BR>that was an OK ride.<BR>the next day she left for Switzerland,<BR>I proceeded to take the ES from milan to Naples.<BR>I thought I would get to enjoy scenary, etc.<BR>It was a 6 1/2 hr boring ride!!!!!<BR>The accomodations were good, (1st class)<BR>but it was too much time on a train.<BR>I also did Naples- Formia,<BR>and then Formia - Rome the next day.<BR>these rides were under 2 hrs,<BR>and tolerable.<BR><BR>But, the year before we rented a car,<BR>and I really enjoyed driving.<BR><BR>I would go with a car.<BR>But, one thing,<BR>the trains in italy are very prompt !!<BR>