Italy/Switzerland itinerary direction suggestion & feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2023, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to go to Italy next year departing from Australia (near the end of May next year) as it will be our first time to Italy and then go to Switzerland (this will be our 3rd time) afterwards. In terms of direction, I am not sure which is the best route for train and if you could guide me in the following would be very much appreciated

I will give you a rough idea of our travel plan
We intend to land Rome as international hub and the main places we want to go are Venice, Pisa (not a big priority), Cinque Terre, Naples, Amalfi Coast followed by Switzerland in Geneva (flying out from Venice), then to Mountreux, Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen (mainly for Jungfrau area few nights before flying out of Zurich)

Because our annual leave is limited so therefore we have to omit some places (that includes Rome) as we are not into history that much.

I had a look at the Google map, please correct me if I am wrong

I have not planned how many nights yet but just want to know if the following itinerary in terms of the would be a good idea and on the way, unless you have other suggestions, please feel free to alter
  • Arrive Rome, then straight away take train to Naples for Pompei activity (stay 1 night)
  • Take train/bus to Amalfi Coast (thinking to stay for 2 nights or 3 nights? Your thoughts?)
  • Take train 6 hours back all the way to Pisa via Rome (maybe stay Rome, maybe not)
  • Arrive La Spezia @ night and stay for 2 nights? (to go to Cinque Terre next day)
  • Take train to Venice (2-3 nights?)
  • Possibly the 2nd day in Venice, take a bus full day excursion to Dolomites or otherwise 2 nights.
  • Fly out from Venice early morning to Switzerland Geneva and stay 1 night
  • Early morning, take train to Montreux for Chillon Castle & Rochers-de-Naye excursion (1 night)
  • Early morning, take the new Goldenpass Express train 3 hours (released in 2023) to Interlaken and then take 40 min train to Lauterbrunnen. Will be staying in Lauterbrunnen for 3 nights
  • Final day, take train to Zurich airport and fly out of Zurich back home (we have been in Zurich and Lucern a few times and feel it is enough while Lauterbrunnen has so much to do and that we haven't really explored fully)
Seeing the itinerary above, is the flow very natural? Or I should head to a different direction that is more smoother along the way? Because the few places are more like in the south and north and will be arriving in Rome as this is the main international hub (middle of Italy), so obviously, that is my prelim plan, unless you have another better suggestion

Also, as you can see the places I have mapped out, we love scenic views and romantic places like Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast, Venice etc and if you have anymore recommendation in Italy, feel free to add your suggestion and we may add them along the way!

Your feedback and suggestion would be appreciated

Thank you!
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days isn t enough for "the Dolomites"
You coluld easily enter the Swiss Alps from there via Bolzano - Merano - St. Moritz and then go on by Glacier Express to Andermatt - Postbus - Sustenpass/Grimselpass - Meiringen - Interlaken.
I wouldn't visit Amalfi coast AND 5Terre. La Spezia is out of your itinerary anyway.
Late May/early June can (but must not) get rainy all over Europe (except the deep South).