Italy - Single Traveler

Search

Italy - Single Traveler

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - Single Traveler

I'd like to go to Italy in either March or April 2013.

I usually travel with a friend but this trip going alone, so wondering if it would be better to use a tour company since I'm a woman and by myself.

Suggestions needed

Thanks
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM

I think that depends on a lot of things -- age, experience with travel or even public transportation and big cities, any physical limitations, ability to be alone, etc.

Because being a woman and alone doesn't matter, the other things do. I would say it could matter in some countries, sure, but not Western Europe.

I just went with someone on a trip and even though she had traveled some, never alone, and I had to do everything in terms of planning, figuring how to do stuff, even getting money from the ATM, etc. (she had never used an ATM before and was hesitatant about using one). I am not sure how she traveled before as she wasn't used to using the computer to make travel plans or find info, etc. Maybe she used a travel agent before as she had gone to some foreign countries a couple times with her husband, I don't know. In any case, she could never have done it alone I realize now. I didn't know it before we traveled together, it became clearer in the planning stages.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SDee if you can live in New York you can holiday in Italy. It would help if you have a little Italian. But the basic "I would like" phrases and general curtesy normally in Europe think Maine rather than NY for the good mornings etc.

As a woman the only thing you might get is wandering hand on a packed tram (which my niece says is what your boot heel is for).

Now, the great thing as an individual is the train system works great in Europe. You can get to lots of cities, right innto the centre via trenitalia where many cars cannot reach at a good price. If you took a tour you would be dashing from city to city, eating where the tours eat, and staying en-mass when you could have stayed in nice little places (hotels or B&Bs) via cos like booking.com
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM

If the question is a single female traveler is at risk from Italian gigolos then emphatically NO! As save as being in the Vatican )well that may not be a great example!). And even though I've seen comely younger gals both Italian and not be subject to what seems childish attention like whistles and catcalls from some younger Italian men that is the worst that could happen.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>so wondering if it would be better to use a tour company since I'm a woman and by myself.<<<

Many of us travel alone in Italy and live to tell about it. Where do you want to go in Italy?
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM

well, I think it is true Italian men are more agressive and jerkier than some other nationalities in terms of harrassing females in public in various ways (not just catcalls, from what I've heard, but possible unwanted touching on some public transportation, for example). It depends how bothered you are by that stuff or how young, etc., I'm sure.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM

I've never travelled alone, so maybe I shouldn't comment but the first thought that comes to me is "Wow! All that adventure and no one to share it." At least travelling with a company will increase the odds that you'll have others to share and receive your joy and excitement.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM

You can do it yourself. I really depends on how much company you need. You can share your joy and excitement with a variety of people you meet at a restaurant at dinner, and during the day as you go about. Meet a huge variety of people, of various nationalities, not just members of a tour group. Doing what you want to do at your pace. I spent almost 4 weeks in Italy travelling on my own using the train system and had a great time with my constant companion being a walking stick/seat. I was never harassed. Despite the grey hair and some disability I'm not that unattractive!
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM

As several have said above...it depends...on several things. I think you'd be safe. I think it might be lonely. I think it depends on how long you plan to stay...and so on. If you've never been to Italy a tour might allow you to see the highlights, but I'd look for a tour that spends two nights or more in the various destinations. Otherwise, it's tiring and you don't get to savor anything. Singles on tours usually have fun with the other travelers, and usually there's often more than one single. If you decide on going alone, I'd just suggest booking lodging near the things you want to see and do so you can mostly walk...and be in populous areas. Trip Advisor has good stuff on lodging and places to eat...as do several other sites.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 03:10 PM

I've traveled all over Europe alone (as well as with others) since I was your age, and love,love, love the freedom of it. No one to have to compromise with over wake-up times, traveling speed, which things to visit, how late to stay out or how early to come home, where to eat....MUCH simpler to travel alone than with someone else. But it does help to speak at least a bit of the language - and in the case of unwanted attention from Italian males (and despite what someone else said, there will be some, though nothing to be scared about), it does help to be able to curse like a sailor in loud and seemingly fluent Italian.

But I've never felt any safety issues anywhere in Italy. And I'm not prone to loneliness...at all. I have always met plenty of people along the way in my travels...sometimes more than I even wanted to.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM

I did have trouble with Italian men, but this was in the eighties. I wouldn't even go back to Italy for years. But since I have been traveling in Italy for several years now, I have had no problems at all. And I even go there alone at least once a year. My advise is: do not sleep on trains unless you are in a single locked cabin and if you stand on a bus, you might experience unwanted contact on your backside.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM
kja

I've been to Italy twice as a solo female, once for 17 days, once for 25 days - no problems! I far prefer traveling alone to traveling with others - I find it a wonderful self-indulgence to be able to do what I want, when I want.

You might find this collection of solo trip reports helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/trav...collection.cfm

Enjoy!
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I'm 50 so don't think I will get catcalls, but do worry about being lonely. I'm pretty friendly but not used to eating by myself. I will start looking at language books to learn some phrases.

I want to visit Rome and Florence. Any other places I need to see? I'm thinking of I can do all in 10 days..do I need more time?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Ten days is a short time. Rome and one other place could easily use up that time.

Don't worry about eating alone. Assume a forward stance, make sure you get a table not right next to the kitchen, bring a book or journal to write in if you're not so confident, and go for it!

Sure, if you've got more time, go for it. The absolute most amount of time in Europe is the best!
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:09 AM

I would start in Rome, then Florence & add Venice after
Florence since you are so close & extend your trip to 14 days.
Reason being Florence is bustling with traffic and Venice much quieter & a great way to end your vacation.
And I've been to Italy a few times as a single w/no problems.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 12:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
one way to solve the loneliness problem is to book a few tours or activities while you are there - there will be many organisations offering guided tours of galleries, foodie trips, bike and walking tours - where you can meet other people and get to see the places you are visiting at the same time.

there are several which are popular here - context Rome springs to mind - or why not look at the activities section on TA? - there are a load of suggestions there.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM

I used to be nervous or shy about eating out alone...then I was forced to on a work trip and found it to be the most liberating and confidence building thing! Now I love it! I bring a book to read or a journal and enjoy people watching etc! To me it was a great revelation!

Enjoy your travels!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Hello SDee. Traveling alone, as others have pointed out, has good points and some not so good. I usually travel alone and have found when I didn't that I had to compromise more than I wanted to. But I've never felt unsafe in Europe, wary and cautious sometimes, but not afraid.

My first trip to Italy - early 20's - I got a lot of attention from Italian men, but had read that Italian women just fix their eyes on the horizon and keep moving. It works, but now that I'm older and don't get that attention, I'm thinking maybe I didn't appreciate it fully.

I usually take a tour when I go into a new country, but plan it so that I have days at the end when the tour is over to do what I want. My tours have also been somewhat unstructured in that there was lots of free time. I meet other people but don't have to hang with them unless I want to. Eating alone can be a bit daunting, but seriously, no one is paying attention to the fact that you are alone. You might find you get poor attention from waiters, but generally I try to make very intent eye contact, smile and greet. Then turn on an ever-so-little helpless look. Even waiters relent.

I will have to say that I haven't found other women are very friendly unless they too are alone. One group of three nurses were downright rude to me when I asked if a seat next to them was taken. Couples often befriend me (usually starts with the husband if he has a tolerant wife - and I make a point of incorporating her in the conversation asap), although now that I'm older I do the adopting. Looking out for others and being interested in them goes a long way.

By making sure I visit places I've studied beforehand, I seldom get bored. Evenings can be a challenge, particularly if you want to talk about all you've seen and done during the day. That's when a journal can help meet the need. I also take a book to read at dinner. If the book is something classic, occasionally someone will remark on it and a conversation is started.

I guess the advice would be: stay alert, but not afraid, engage others when you're comfortable with it, have a purpose every day, and make lots of time to sit at a cafe and get the feel of the place.

And now I'm headed out to my village's Christmas market, where I will engage total strangers, have some gluhwein, and maybe pick up some holiday decorations. I love Italy but here in Germany is where I find people are incredibly friendly to folks they don't know. And the band just started! Bye-e-e-e.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 06:12 AM

If you're visiting the main tourist spots in Rome and Florence, you could do it alone. However, I'd recommend going on a tour, even though I've never been on one.

Traveling alone, you are going to have to worry about every single detail -- getting from point A to point B, transporting luggage, where to eat, where to sleep. A tour handles all that for you. And if you want to wander off alone for a while, most tours will allow for that. (Don't worry about the language if you're sticking with Rome/Florence/Venice. Most people there speak English, particularly those who cater to the tourist trade.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -