Search

Italy short break solo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy short break solo

Dear all

I am hoping to visit Italy for 2 or 3 nights in late October. I will be travelling alone and am looking for some destination inspiration!

I want to avoid Rome, Venice and Naples and am amenable to big names like Florence and Verona or little known places.

My interests are art, architecture, walking and good food.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Ravenna? Bologna?
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 05:24 PM

ttt
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For such a short stay (with no car?), I wouldn't think about "little known places." I'd just stay where I flew in/out. If you're willing to connect somewhere, that would include Verona, Bologna, Torino... maybe others.

My default choice is Florence for countless sights ("art, architecture, walking and good food") and lots of day trip options, but at that time of year you might prefer to be farther south. If you flew into Rome, you could be in Orvieto or Spoleto in a couple of hours. From Spoleto, train and bus service to several towns in Umbria is fairly frequent. I'm not familiar with public trans options from Orvieto.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 12:30 AM

Milan, Bologna (was lovely last October when we visited), Verona, Modena, Genoa, Turin...

Where can you fly into from your local airport?
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:14 AM

I think Florence is an excellent destination at that time of year. At any other time, it's likely to be too crowded. It has everything you're looking for, although two or three nights doesn't give you enough time to see more than a fraction.

The weather in Orvieto or Spoleto wouldn't be much different than in Florence. It would probably be even colder in those places, because they're at higher altitudes. Anyway, it's rarely very cold here in late October. Rain is a distinct possibility, so you might give priority to places with abundant indoor activities.

Bologna is also a good choice, and better than Florence as far as food goes. Many streets are lined with porticoes, which are very convenient if it rains. There's an excellent covered market in Bologna, where you can find many gastronomic choices, maybe even to bring home.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 01:25 PM

Bologna (particularly that time of year):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougla...57632060233870