Reload this Page >

Italy Rental car question..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Denise

Hi,<BR><BR>I called AutoEurope and got 3 prices which seem fine. One is for a "Sephia" (not sure of spelling), economy model with air for $248.00 for 7 days including all insurances, etc, another is for the Alpha Romeo (compact model-4 door, I think 147 model, 4 door, with air) for $348.00. Both are manual transmission. There is only the two of us traveling this summer in the Lake region. I don't know what the Sephia looks like and if it is better to take the alpha. Does anyone have experience with these rental cars? I don't want to drive a death trap car, but I also don't need anything fancy. Just a car that gets us where we are going safely. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Denise

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Rex

I wouldn't label any car a death trap, Drivers kill, cars don't kill. It just stands to reason that the cheaper is smaller - - for example, I bet you couldn't get a dorm refrigerator in it, and maybe not a microwave.<BR><BR>Besides that, the cheaper car might not be so capable of speeds above 120 kph (about 75 mph), or at least not much acceleration above that.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Stella

The Alpha will definitely "cruise" on the autostrade better. The Sephia is a small car. It depends on what you want. Have you looked for any other rates? Do you have any corporate discounts? (AAA, work for a company with a rate, or bank with a company with a rate?) These rates could get lower. We live in Italy, and have rented cars for about 30% of this amount. Good luck

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:14 AM
up

up, to the top of the speedometer<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Sherry

I have been trying to rent a car for just two daysand have been quoted more than that. Does anyone know of a cheap rate for two days. Autoeurope requires 3 day minimum and is charging around $260.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Denise

I have also checked Alamo but the price was higher. I will also look into a AAA discount. Thanks for the info. <BR>Rex- I was just concerned that the Sephia would be extremely small like some of those cars I have seen while in Italy and I would feel safer in something more substantial in size. I may opt for the alpha. The cruising speed makes sense, although I am sure we will be the slowest car on the road.<BR><BR>Denise