Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Questions – Sorrento? Lauro Apartment?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so E has to work, so Croatia is out (thanks for all of the help, though, we are hoping to go next year). New plan is a girls’ trip to Italy (5 of us, all mid-20s) this Sept – a week in the Amalfi area, and then 3 days in Rome, and perhaps a day or two in Florence (depending on how long we can manage to escape the corporate grind). We have all been to Italy before, but not to Amalfi.

I am currently thinking that Sorrento is probably best for a home base, as it seems to have more nightlife and restaurants than the actual Amalfi coast. We’ll day trip to Positano, Capri, Amalfi, Pompeii, etc. Found the Lauro Apartment on the web - http://www.sorrento.cc/property_deta...72141e8ba6e9cc – the price is right and I can easily picture sitting on the terrace with a cold glass of limoncello. As we don’t want to rent a car, I love that it seems to be in the center of things.

But I cannot seem to find any reviews of the apartment. Any chance that a Fodorite has stayed there? And, more generally, is the area around the train station OK, or is it seedy (as seems to be the case in so many cities)? Does anyone have other accommodation suggestions? I think we are definitely leaning towards an apartment over a hotel, as it will be nice to have a kitchen and a bit more space for the week.

Also (and, yes, I know that no one can truly predict this) do you think we are better off booking plane tickets now for Sept, or waiting with crossed fingers for sales?

Thanks so much! Much appreciated!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know the Lauro Apartments, but I can tell you the area around the train station in Sorrento is not at all seedy. Perhaps a bit more geared to locals than tourists but safe and clean.

For other accommodations and lots of other helpful info, you might look at www.sorrentomap.com.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM

When looking for one bedroom apartments I'm sure I saw other apartments in that same building -- same loction, and seemingly same balcony views.
I'd go for it, and not worry about the location at all. It's especially nice when you want to take trains or busses to those other spots -- they're right there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful, thanks so much for your help! I have written to check on availability.

Now if I can just find an affordable flight... This Sat-Sat rental thing makes it harder. Oh well...

(And now it looks like they want to do Sicily instead of Florence/Rome. Sigh. Ever heard of too many cooks in the kitchen? )

Thanks again!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Hi - My husband and I are planning a honeymoon in the Amalfi Coast/Sorrento area and were looking for apts. vs. hotels as well. There are 2 site I came across, "summerinitaly.com" and "holidaysnoproblem.com" apts. for rent are also known as "self catering" accomodations. We used mileage for our flights, but while doing research for tickets, I was told to be "flexible" in our plans - i.e. where we were flying into - Maybe try flying into London and then from London to cities in Italy? I would definitly try to convince the girls to reconsider Florence. I went to school there for a month when I younger and would absolutely recommend it (although I have not yet been to Sicily so I have nothing to compare it)...Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I hadn't seen holidaysnoproblem yet, will definitely check it out. And I agree, Florence is lovely, but we have all been there and the girls would like to try something new. Who knows where we'll end up - figure it can't be all that bad as long as we are in Italy!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Another apt. locating site I was just told about is www.altracostiera.com - The places look great! I want to be there now!