Italy - prices of Gucci/Prada/etc.

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - prices of Gucci/Prada/etc.

I will be in Rome in October, I have heard that Gucci products and Prada products cost less in Italy. What experiences have fodorites had? IS this true, or just a myth?

I am particularly interested in handbags and shoes/boots. What would these items cost in Italy? The last time I bought a pair of Gucci shoes was last year, the sale price was $260 including taxes.

Are there any other luxury brands that cost less in Italy that I should consider buying?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Hi goingtobeijing,

In my experience, Gucci and Prada used to be cheaper due to a stronger dollar and the VAT tax refund a few years ago. I did get a great deal on Gucci shoes in Florence but we're talking 2002 at this point.

I was there last Sept/Oct and a bag my mom was interested in would have come in at about $100 USD less had I bought it there after VAT refund. But the exchange was hovering at about 1.40 at that point. Now, I don't even think it would be worth it. If the sale price was good enough and you would still qualify for VAT refund, it might be worth it but I really don't think so anymore for full priced items. Hope this helps.

Dana
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:54 AM

When the exchange rate was better, there were certainly buys to be found, especially at sale time. But there is not much of a price difference now for those with US dollars. I would say that prices for current season, non-sale items are certainly cheaper in Italy, but not THAT much cheaper. Of course you would save on the tax, and get the detaxe refund.

I really don't understand how someone else can tell you what to buy..it sounds as if you are interested only in the famous labels. If this is true, look at Italian brands, not LV and French-made stuff. For me, I would take Loro Piana or Bottega Veneta over Prada any day.

If you mean that you paid $260US for Gucci shoes in the US on sale, you are not going to do better in Italy in October.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Loro Piana makes the best Cashmeres!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.

When I said are there any other luxury brands that cost less in Italy that I should consider I was thinking about brands like Fendi, Bottega Veneta, Dolce and Gabanna, etc.

I should have titled the thread luxury brands in Italy.

What I meant to ask is which boutiques if any should I visit if prices are less than in North America. (I paid CAD$260 in Canada last year for Gucci shoes).

A few years ago I was in Spain, I found Loewe items in Madrid were not competitively priced.

It sounds like I should forget about shopping at the luxury boutiques in Rome.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Listen, you can always look. Those brands are sold at prices which will not very much, if at all, from store to store, so you can look anywhere. The biggest selection will be in Milano. The smallest (of the major tourist cities) will be in Venice. You will find many styles that you will not see in Canada. But I doubt if you will find Gucci shoes, or shoes by any of those brands, for as little as $260CAD.

Do you mean that the Loewe in Madrid was no cheaper than in Canada? That would surprise me a little..

It would be fun to do a price comparison..we could get the prices of a popular item and the person traveling to Italy could compare and post back.

One thing I will tell you is that I priced Hermes watches last year. The most expensive in my preferred style was at the main store in Paris. Hermes in New York had them for substantially less. And the cheapest: The duty-free in Incheon airport.

So that actually goes against what I wrote about the luxury brands above...but that is France, and Hermes.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

escrunchy, interesting about your experiences with Hermes. I price a Burberry Jacket in London, New York, Hong Kong and Tokyo in early 2004. It's not surprising that both New York (Saks) was the cheapest and in Tokyo it cost nearly double.

Same thing when I prices Cole Haan shoes, they were cheaper in the US.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
We live in Switzerland and travel around Europe a lot. I find prices in the US on most things, esp luxury brands, are cheaper. An Hermes scarf in the US is about $100 cheaper as an example.

gruezi