Search

Italy - Orvieto and Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy - Orvieto and Sorrento

Hello,
My boyfriend and I will be travelling in Italy this July, and I am very overwhelmed trying to plan everything. We will be spending 4 nights in Rome, then taking a train to Orvieto for 2 nights, and then heading to Sorrento for 3 nights. I would love to hear any tips/advice about getting from Orvieto to Sorrento, as well as how to spend our time in Sorrento (what are the highlights and the 'can't miss' places).
Any information would be greatly appreciated to a new traveller!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"... how to spend our time in Sorrento (what are the highlights and the 'can't miss' places)." There is much more than you can possibly see in two full days, so you have to make the tough choices.

Naples
Pompeii
Herculaneum
Capri
The towns on/near the Amalfi Coast, such as:
Positano
Amalfi
Ravello

We also enjoyed hiking in the hills above the coastal towns and exploring the tip of the Sorrentine Peninsula (Massa Lubrense, etc.), but the latter is difficult without a car.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Sorrento is not a place to be - t;s a place to go other places from. A sizable town with a large number of hotels, restaurants and shops - so a good center to see:

Pompeii
Naples archeo Museum
Day trip to Capri
Ferry trips down the coast to the tiny towns of Amalfi and Positano

Sorrento is as far as you can get by train and has a lot of ferries and hydro foils. I would take the train from orvieto - assuming you need to change in Rome and do for the local train in Naples
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM

To reach Sorrento from Orvieto, take a Trenitalia train from Orvieto to Napoli Centrale. Go to the lower level in the same station and take the local commuter train, the Circumvesuviana, to Sorrento.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Last month we did just as ellenem suggests and it worked out fine. Be sure you get a train from Orvieto that does not require that you change trains in Rome. Just makes it that much easier, especially if you have a lot of luggage.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 06:44 AM

Have you already booked you lodging in Sorrento? I only ask because many people think staying there is the only option to see the Amalfi coast, but I personally find Salerno to be better. Some others agree (if you search: stay in salerno not sorrento) you'll find some good posts about this. Otherwise, Sorrento will be fine. I agree with nytraveler though, Sorrento is not a place to sightsee. The prices are absurd, everything is for tourists, hardly anything is authentic. For beaching I recommend the little known beach Vico Equense that you can take a local bus to from Sorrento. It's lovely and there's no tourists there.

I also HIGHLY recommend NOT skipping Naples. Here's a good blog post about why you should at least visit Naples: http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/foo...campania-italy

Have fun planning your trip, good luck!