Search

Italy or Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy or Spain

Two years ago my wife and I had the opportunity to spend a week in France. We loved it as it was our first trip to Europe.

We are thinking about going back to Europe this Fall ( OCT-NOV ). I realize everyone has their opinion so I will ask if you had about 10 days would you prefer Italy or Spain? Is one more costlier than the other. I realize they are on the Euro but does on charge more than the other for the basics? I am from Italian descent and will go there one day even if not this trip.

Bottom line where can you get the best value for the $$. Italy has the history. What does Spain offer?

We are in early 50's so dining, shopping, wine tasting, moderate activity, history and scenery is important..

Any help would be nice
Ron
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM

You can't go wrong with either choice, however, with ten days I believe Italy is the better choice because the highlights in Spain are so spread out (Seville to Barcelona).

In Italy, you could easily visit Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice and even squeeze in one or two other towns wuch as Lucca, Assisi, or Pisa.

Italy is expensive. I was there in May, 2008, but I haven't been to Spain since 2006. However, I believe Spain may be somewhat less expensive if you say in Madrid and south and don't go to Barcelona.

Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Italy, Italy, Italy. Sorry, but I've tried to love Spain but I just can't get there. Italy never fails to seduce me.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Italy gets my vote too!! It's a beautiful country with gorgeous sights, cities and towns!

To be fair, in Spain i've been only to Barcelona which i liked a lot too but Italy comes first. Also i find the italians much friendlier..
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM

We've been to both numerous times, and this question is an ongoing discussion between my wife and me. However, we keep returning to Italy for its compact, beautiful and enduring nature. Both countries have lots of history.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Italy, without a doubt! Spain is quite nice--great food and art. But Italy is just amazing!
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Another vote for Italy. As the previous poster said, Spain is nice, Italy is amazing.

I just got back from Spain and i don't need to go again. I've been to Italy three times and would love to go back again.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Both countries have their pros and cons. No one seems to have read your factual questions in your OP so far..

Weatherwise I would say that the later the trip in November will be, the more will Southern Spain/ Andalucia be a good destination. Or Southern Italy, or a combo Rome+Sicely.

Price levels.. I think that Italy is more expensive -- especially when you limit your stay to the usual suspects (Florence, Rome, Venice).

History.. depends on what you are interested in. Southern Spain's Moorish and mujedar architecture is something unique in Europe.

Food.. at this point Italy gets more points on my list than Spain.
Old Jun 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM

If you are going to italy in a future, then try another country. If you wouldn't have say this i would probably vote for italy. But in this case: SPAIN.

ok i'm from spain, but people here is voting for italy even admitting they haven't been in spain or just have been in one place.

Considering you are travelling in october/november i would focus in madrid and andalucia.

Spain is cheaper than italy, there is great food too (despite of that i love italian food too), and many things to see, some of them unique in europe.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Is the cost your main deciding factor?

Spain was noticeable cheaper than Italy.

The other question you posed are subjective questions. Even if ALL the posters favor one way, it may not match your taste.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:29 AM

You say, "I am from Italian descent," and that pretty much clinches it.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM

We have visited both and both are wonderful. But Italy is where I would go if you haven't been. We've been to Italy 7 times and to Spain twice. Next trip will be back to Italy. Once you go, it will be hard not to go again - it draws you back. The art, the history, the scenery, the wine, the food - everything is wonderful. With 10 days, I would start with Venice, Florence and Rome. The earlier you can go - October is lovely - the better.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I love both , but for the first visit I would agree with the majority : Italy.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:17 AM

We just returned from a 3 week trip to Spain and found it to be very enjoyable--history, architecture, art, food and nightlife. We have also traveled extensively in Italy on about a dozen occasions. There are similarities but on balance, Italy has more ambiance and is far more compact for a 10 day trip. Our 3 weeks did not allow us to go to a number of areas of interest. I also felt that Spain touring tended to focus on urban centers which can be tiring.

My only caveat would be for your intended time of travel. While we were there this past May and did not experience the expected "sunny Spain", I would guess you would have better and warmer weather there in Oct/Nov. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice but don't expect to "do" Spain in 10 days.
Paul