Italy one-week trip report...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, thanks to some fodorites with planning some of the smaller details of this trip.

For our pictures of the Cinque Terre, here they are:

http://www.pbase.com/tsip19/the_ligurian_coast_italy

We basically spent the week in Cinque Terre and two days in Rome. I know there is some differing opinions on this board about the Cinque Terre, but it is one of our (my wife and me) favorite places. I'd also read on here some
suggestion March is not a good time
to go bc of rain, so we were a bit apprehensive about the weather. However, as one who works in a school, I don't have any say on when our spring break is, so off we go!

We started out arriving in Rome at 715am, then hopping on a train, making connections at Ostiense, then La Spezia, then arriving in Vernazza that afternoon. We spent two nights in Vernazza at Rooms by Martina. Our room was pretty spartan, but clean. When we arrived, the temps were pretty cold and it was a cold night. We stayed on the top floor of a building on the harbor and had a nice view of the piazza below. Our room was 74 steps up, so if you are not in decent shape or are overweight (narrow passageways), this may not be the room for you. This was our fourth time to visit the Cinque Terre, but we usually stay in Riomaggiore. We're pretty familiar with the trails, so we spent some time renewing our love the the scenery. The first day was a bit rainy, but after that, we had blue skies the rest of the week.

We stayed two nights with Martina (cost = 75E) - only meeting her upon our departure. Her father checked us in and showed us to the room. One afternoon we were eating gelato and sitting by the harbor when he strolled by, invited me into his shed, and poured us some of his homeade wine! What a treat. He didn't speak much english, but we appreciated the gesture.

After the two days with Martina, we headed to Riomaggiore (where we usually spend our evenings). We stayed in a Room by Edi. He's a dependable guy (we've stayed there 4 times) and this time we had reserved aroom overlooking the harbor... even had a kitchen (cost = 70E)!

One of the days, we trained to S.Margarita, then bussed to Portofino, hiked up to the castle, then returned in the evening. The other days we hiked, enjoyed the nice weather, and generally relaxed. I'd like to say where we ate, but nothing really stands out, so I'm not going to recommend anything here.

One nice thing about March was that we had the town to ourselves (along with the strolling locals) after about 5pm. Plus, the locals were really friendly (moreso than summer months when the hordes of day-trippers descend into the small towns.

After our 5 wonderful days here, we were off to Rome, where we stayed at Casa Franci B&B near the Vatican. I would not recommend this place. The rooms were small and dismal and dreary... just not a good feel. It was close to San Pietro, which was nice, and really close to the Ostiense Station, though. Casa Franci tried to tell us where to go eat, but he was just leading us to the tourist traps near S. Pietro... not the true Italian experience. When we tried to tell him we've been here before, he really didn't listen.

On Saturday, we took the Scavi tour under San Pietro. This was the second time we've taken this tour. The first time, it was simply amazing...we had a great guide who told the stories quite well. This time, though, we had a woman who's first language (nor second, I bet) was not English. It was obvious that our english speaking group had a very difficult time understanding her, and that really detracted from our enjoyment. This was really disappointing. Still, I'd recommend the tour and hope for a better tour guide.

All in all it was a fun trip... The only negative was that my wife's bag did not make it back. It took 48 hours for American Airlines to get us her stuff. When they finally got it to us, we found that some had gone through and taken our wine! We had wrapped it in bubble wrap, paper, and clothes. Whoever took it unwrapped it and left the wrapping paper and the receipt! (No, it wasn't customs. We declared it at JFK, then re-checked it on a domestic flight.) That left a bad taste in our mouth upon returning to the US. We can't lock our luggage, but airport workers can go through our stuff with no ramifications, taking whatever they want!

Anyway, if you have any questions, just ask or email at [email protected]

Again, thanks for the help. We're off to Coyote Buttes in early June (the wave and Antelope Canyon), then Turkey/Istanbul in mid June through mid July!

Roger
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:33 PM

Roger,

Your pictures are wonderful! I love the creative way you did them.

Portofino is one of my favorite places, and my husband and I are looking forward to a trip to the Cinque Terre in the near future.

Can you give contact information for your apartment in Riomaggiore? Do you recommend this as a place to stay while we're exploring the Cinque Terre?

Thanks for all the info.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

Hello Roger, I so enjoyed looking at your beautiful photos. They brought back special memories.

I wish you two many more wonderful trips!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Samsaf,

Yes, I would recommend rooms by Edi...

His contact info is:

[email protected]

when you contact him, ask for a room with a sea-view and your own bathroom. this will help!

In the pictures of Riomaggiore looking back at the city from the harbor, he has rooms on both sides that look down into the harbor and out to sea.

he also has a some rooms up in town, but try to avoid those. my parents got a room up there and heard the church clock strike all night long!

if you have any questions, just ask!

(what's up with the first reply? yikes!)

Roger
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM

Yeah I don't know what that first reply was about either lol. I enjoyed your report - I am heading to Rome in September and hoping to do the scavi tour, so it was great to hear your comments. Hopefully we'll have a more understandable guide!
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the trip report. I don't appreciate the first person's reply. Watch your language FFaina! That was not necessary.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM

Really enjoyed your pictures and hearing about your trip. We are heading to CT and Rome in May, so it's good to get all the info possible. Hoping for good weather--it's hard to tell what you'll get in spring.