Italy "Must see" versus "Don't bother"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a very interesting thread on the United Kingdom Board where people list their opinions as to "must sees" versus "don't bother" for people visiting the UK. Would love to see the same kind of comments for Italy.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:43 PM
ira

There are no "don't bother"s in Italy.

If you didn't like something, you just weren't in the proper mood.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:20 PM

ha ha ha ha. I think you're right, Ira!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Actually Ira, if I remember correctly, you have been pretty negative in your postings about Milan.

For myself, while I love almost all of Italy, I really don't think much of Naples, and I wouldn't waste my time going to Pisa unless I had gone everywhere else first.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:11 PM
ira

Now, Jack,

I haven't been negative about Milan, I've just suggested other places that might be more interesting.

As far as Naples goes, I plan on returning.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM

I think that's a great idea to post the "must sees" vs "don't bother." Not everything in Italy, is that stupendous that you HAVE to see it on in the short time most people have for their vacations.

I would list the Spedale degli Innocentes on the list of "don't bother"--not because it wasn't nice or beautiful, but if it weren't around the corner from our hotel, I would have thought twice before going through the bother of looking for it and going there. On the other hand, the ascent to the Duomo Dome is a must do, even though you have to climb a lot of steep, narrow steps in the dim light most of the way. How often do you end up having to pay 6 euro to have a strenuous workout in the morning?

Lil
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:55 PM
rex

I'm with ira - - I don't what would be a "don't bother" - - heck, I even recpommend those "free glassblowing tours to Murano" - - even though they are thinly diguised sales pressure cookers. You just need to be careful to be aware that your sales resistance is all up to you, and know not to squirm, just say no, over and over again.

As for "must do" - - does this mean that I have to go back to Florence (or wherever any one else mentions) if I didn't do it?

In that case, then 99% of the people who go to Lake Como need to go back to see Villa Balbianiello... because I am sure that that's how many fail to get there.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Buy the Michelin Green book for Italy. At the first they have maps of Italy with 3 categories of sights to see--the green ones being the highest priority. After 12 trips to Italy I almost have them all covered now. Get back to us when you have seen them all.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Pisa. The tower is cool to see, but not much else there, so with time constraints, it would be one stop I could leave off of the itinerary, if pressed.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:14 PM

I've had a couple of people tell me not to bother with the Blue Grotto -- what say those who've seen it?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are several ways to visit the Blue Grotto. If you have to take a ferry with 100 other people and then transfer to row boats that only hold 3 people and wait in line for your boat to enter the cave for 2 minutes it might not be worth seeing. I think you can hire a private boat and go when the big tour boats are finished for the day and that might be more enjoyable.
Italy is my favorite so I agree with Ira - there are no don't bother's even if it's Pisa or the Blue Grotto.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:47 PM

Thanks kybourbon, I wouldn't have thought of a private boat ride. It may be out of my price range, anyway, but I'll inquire.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 01:25 AM
a_diner

Skip the leaning tower of Pisa. It's a bonafide tourist trap. During a two week trip to Italy, it was the only time I felt like I was back in the USA at a typical tourist destination there. Milan can also be forgone, or at least done quickly because the Duomo there is certainly worth at least a quick visit.

To me, Rome, Venice, Capri, Assisi and the Amalfi Coast are "must see" destinations. Verona, Sienna, the lakes district (Como/Maggiore) and Pompeii are worthwhile but not "must see". I have not been to the Northern Coast (Cinque Terre/Portofino) nor South of the Amalfi Coast so can't comment on these.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 04:05 AM
ira

Just shows how different people have different viewpoints.

I think that the "Veiled Christ" in the Capella Sansevero in Naples is a "must see".

I think Naples is a must see.

a_diner left Florence off the list, which I wouldn't do.

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Our trip to the Blue Grotto was great fun and very interesting. First the boat trip to the Grotto was great--wonderful scenery. Then the entire process of unloading visitors from the tour boats into the rowboats (and then getting from the rowboats back to the tour boats) to get into the Grotto was extremely entertaining--especially those rowboats whose rowers had been nipping at the vino a bit. On a good day (sea conditions, sunlight) the Grotto itself is lovely. But I really enjoyed observing and experiencing the entire process most of all.

I highly recommend it.