Italy:Just Returned

Sep 21st, 2001, 06:56 AM
Henry

Italy:Just Returned

We returned from Italy on 9/18/01.Thanks to all on this forum whose advice made it a wonderful trip.Also we would like to thank the people of Italy who were so sympathetic regarding the terrorist attack.Many people expressed their sorrow,offer complimentary drinks,gifts etc.
Our trip included Siena,Orvieto,San Gim.& Rome.If anyone would like info on hotels,resturants etc. let me know.

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Vita

Hi, Henry. Hopefully, I will be leaving for Rome, Florence and Siena on Oct.4. How were the airports, flights, and general transportation through Italy following the attacks? I was planning on coming in through Fiumicino and leaving through Peretola. Any insights on the "should I go" threads?

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:00 AM
elaine

Henry
I'm supposed to be leaving this weekend.
Other than the emotional factor, did anything in particular seem different or less safe or inadvisable?
BTW, I'm going to Rome, and was considering a daytrip to Orvieto. (Did you drive there or take the train?)

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:04 AM
xxx

Hi Henry

Please post the hightlights of your trip here in addition to the travel questions asked above. I'd love to read about your trip.

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:06 AM
Paul

Henry, Likewise, welcome back. My wife and I are scheduled to fly to Rome in early November, and travel north through Tuscany and Umbria, and would love to hear your thoughts on restaurants and other highlights for Rome and Orvieto in particular. (We've booked hotels already.)

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Susan

We are leaving Sunday for Italy and would be interested in the restaurants in Rome, Siena and San Gim. Can you recommend B&B's in Sienna and San Gim.?

Sep 21st, 2001, 08:41 AM
Henry

Italy:Just Returned(2)
We had no problems with our return flight.US Air told us to arrive 3-4hrs.prior to departure which we did.Check-in and boarding went smoothly.I would say you need only to allow additional time.We traveled by train in Italy,buying tickets as we needed them.Never had a problem getting a seat.We felt safe but obviosly everyone must make their own decisions.
I'll post a second response with more details.

Sep 21st, 2001, 09:06 AM
Henry

Our schedule was fly to Rome.Take train to Seina for 4 nts.(day trip to San G.by bus).Train to Orvieto for 2 nts.Then train to Rome for 3nts.HOTELS-Seina,Hotel Athena,fair.Orvieto,Palazzo Piccolomino,good.Rome,Santa Chiara,very good.Although Rome has the grandest sights everyone prefered the smaller towns.
Resturantsiena-Osteria Da Divo & Osteria Nonna Gina.Orvieto-Osteria San Patrizio.Rome-Trattoria Del Pantheon(seafood).Also near the Vatican try Dino&Tony's on Via Leone #60 for lunch.No menu owner brings out antipasti then pasta courses etc till you tell him to stop.
Recomendations:
At this time of year buy train tickets in Italy.They seem to be cheaper there.
San G. was not as crowded as feared.A beautiful town which can be seen in a day.Orvieto is very nice but dead at night,give it 2 dys max.Best gelato was a place in San G.on the main street near the bus stop,most overrated was Giloltti's in Rome good gelato but too much attitude.In Siena & Orvieto resturants have the wonderful custom of offering free grappa and amaretto after dinner.Wish this custom would catch on in the U.S.
To all have a safe and happy trip,God Bless.

Sep 21st, 2001, 03:31 PM
Barb

Henry: We will be leaving Sorrento Oct. 7th and hoping to spend one night in Orvieto. We do not have hotel reservations. Is this going to be a problem? We are then heading up to Siena for 3 nites.

Sep 24th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Henry

Barb,I know that our hotel in Orvieto was full but I don't think you'll have a problem.I suspect many people are canceling and Oct.is not the busiest season.All the hotels I stayed at have web-sites so it is easy to make reservations if your concerned.Enjoy.

Sep 24th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Diane

Barb- we stayed overnight in Orvieto on a "whim" in at the end of May. We simply went to the Information Office across from the Duomo, and chose from a list -- Hotel Aquila Bianca. We had a lovely double room, and parking in the hotel's own inside garage for 200,000 (or was it 180,000?) lira per night. Actually I'd considered staying in Orvieto during the planning stages of our trip, and I believe the website prices we saw for this hotel were higher than we got through the Inf. Office. Who'd ever have thunk it! Very lovely hotel, quiet and the staff sent us to Giglio d'Oro for dinner. We thought that may be a mistake -- the place is right across from Duomo, and we were wary it may be a tourist trap -- but it was a highlight of our 3-week trip. Extraordinary meal. Also, be sure to take the guided tour of the caves. Orvieto is a very small town and one day & night is perfect.

Sep 24th, 2001, 08:02 PM
LaTeah

Barb

From the number of cancellations discussed on this forum as well as those I've seen mentioned on other travel sites, I suspect you'll have little difficulty finding accommadations without a reservation.

Sep 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Barb

Thanks to all of you for your help. Leaving tomorrow and I'm very excited. I'll write a trip report when I get back.