Search

Italy June 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy June 2008

My husband and I want to travel to France / Italy in June 2008 with our 16 & 18 year old daughters. We are leaning toward not doing an organized tour. We are thinking about 10-14 days. Starting in Paris and then traveling to Italy to see a little of everything, is this too much traveling time? Suggestions?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Most people here will encourage you to do this trip on your own and skip the organized tour. Then most people here will say that for 10-14 days, you should pick 3-4 destinations, meaning places you will stay. Yes, it is possible to combine France and italy in such a time frame.

Each time you change hotels/cities, it will take up at least half a day to check in, check out, travel, and so forth. Be sure to figure this into you plan. It's better to stay at least 2 nights in each location--1-night stays can get exhausting and this is your vacation.

We can advise better if we knew your interests beyond "see a little of everything." There are so many choices that we need you to narrow your interests a bit to give the best advice.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
rex

It all depends on how much (actually how little) Italy (or France outside of Paris) will suffice to you.

I am planning a 10 days/9 nights itinerary for two couples this September - - it has a little "taste of Italy" - - two nights in Torino and the Valle d'Aosta, and a split between Paris and Burgundy of 4/3 nights. It's a slightly ambitious itinerary, but I am a seasoned traveler/cattle driver, and I like moving by car (we're whacking off the first 350 miles by taking the high speed train from Paris to Lyon).

There are some very inepxensive options to get you from France to Italy on any of several low-cost intra-Europe airlines. If you combine one of those with a plan to limit _one_ of the two countries to only 3-4 (or 5) of the 10 (to 14) nights you have, I think you can come up with a great two country itinerary.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, Amy,

having lived through a number of european trips with my kids, now aged 19 & 16, I'd suggest you think about the following:

In 14 days, you anly realy have time for 3 places, in 10 days only 2.

you will see more by flying "open jaw" eg into Paris, out of Rome.

you will lose a day every time you move, and allow at least one day at the beginning for jet-lag.

apartments are cheaper and more fun than hotels.

you know your kids better than i do, but mine really like staying longer in one place than moving around a lot. they can have a bit of freedome exploring the neighbourhood, doing the breakfast shopping [my DS, then 15 loved this in Rome and bought us every day, with no itialian whatsoever!]

with the ages of your girls allow for shopping! Rome is GREAT. DD, then 18, loved it. Better than Paris IMO.

in 14 days, I'd be inclined to do the following:

Fly into Venice. Stay 4 nights.

Hire car - drive to tuscany via the lakes. rent house or apartment for 5 nights with swimming pool - essential for girls to let off steam.

drive to orvieto and dump car.

train to rome - rent apartment for rest of stay.

happy planning!

regards, ann

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM

It really depends on what you like to do, so you can maximize your time according to your personal preferences.
For example, if you love art then you can't miss Florence. If on the other hand, art bores you but you love food and wine, opt for the (Tuscan perhaps) countryside instead.
So it really depends on what your family enjoys: city, countryside, art, architecture, food activities (olive oil tastings, cooking classes), shopping, or relaxing and doing nothing, or a combination of any of the above.
Your final itinerary should reflect upon you, not what anyone or any guide book tells you what you must do.
Make it yours!
I like to keep hotel stays to a minimum of 3 nights. As posters here have mentioned, keep in mind the amount of travel time involved, that you will lose at least a half day for every day of transit.
But again - it depends on how your family likes to travel. Some people need to constantly be on the move, and so 5 2-night stays work, while many people like to have a little more time to relax and explore.
Ellen Craig
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM

Remember that about 4 of those days are for traveling (2) and getting over jet-lag...so that sounds like the perfect amount to me - I'd split it straight down the middle - 5 days in each country - cheers!

Ciao Laura
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM

Hi Amy,

I'd be of the opinion that you try to stretch out your stay to the 14-day end of things rather than 10.

Given your timeframe, pick 2 or (at most) 3 cities that catch your fancy and focus on them rather than spreading yourselves and your time too thinly. We just returned from a similar tip and did Paris/Venice/Florence/Rome/Amsterdam over the course of 3 1/2 weeks. Personally, I'd recommend Paris for 5-6 days (allowing that your first day's traveling and your second is probably best spent as a low-impact recovery day) , fly to Florence for 4-5 days and then Eurostar to Rome for the remainder. This gives you the biggest hits with the most variety and keeps your time lost to travel to a minimum.

HTH
Knickerbocker
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
ira

Hi A,

With 14 days:

1. Venice, Florence and Rome.
2. Paris, Venice and Florence
3. Venice, Florence and Rome.

With 10 days:

1. Paris and Rome

You can easily plan this by yourself.

The Venice, Florence, Rome route has been traveled by tourists since the 1400's.

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking three days Paris, then train to Florence for three days then on to Rome for three days. If we plan 11 nights that would give us time between for traveling. What about trains from Paris to Florence and then Florence to Rome? We could either rent a car or use more day train travel while situated in these cities?
We love art. The train websites seem very confusing.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, amy,

if you are fixed on cities, you won't need a car - in fact it would be a positive disadvantage to have one.

the best site for checking trains all over europe is the german one - www.bahn.de - go to internat. guests and click english.

after that, it should be plain sailing.

the long train journey would be an adventure in itself!

regards, ann
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM

I concur with all the postings. We just returned froma week in Rome and did not do everything. We discussed a day trip to Florence or Naples but why do a disservice to yourself and lose precious time. You know you are going to want to return!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM

My daughter and I just returned from a 10 day (8 night) trip to Rome (3 nights), Florence (2 nights), overnight train to Paris and Paris (2 nights). I know it was rushed at times but it was a wonderful trip! There is so much to do in each of these cities but we were honestly ready to move on after 3 days in the busy city. It was well planned (thanks to our Fodor friends!) and we plan to return next May when school gets out with my husband and son. We did it on our own and couldn't speak Italian or French but managed anyway since we stayed in pensiones where English was spoken.
Karen