Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

italy itinerary suggestions for 7 days HELP!!!! please

Notices

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:19 PM
franco

I need help bad i am going to rome in january for 7 days and i really dont have any idea of what to do with my luggage or if i should book hotels as i go or in advance i would like to travel to florence and naples you know the good stuff but i am lost

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Jean

Personally, if I only had 7 days in January, I'd stay the entire time in Rome. (Actually, I'd pick Florence, but that's another story.) If you insist, pick either Florence or Naples for 2-3 days, but don't try to do all three cities. There just isn't enough time.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:43 PM
sjk

I recently came back from Italy and found (the hard way) that they do not allow you to use the lockers at Roma Termini. Instead you have to use a luggage check-in service, which was really expensive for us, so we ended up taking our bags with us. I only found this to be the case in Italy, due to security concerns.

If you would like to take in a couple of other places, I would use Florence as a base for a couple of day trips to nearby towns, such as Siena or Pisa. That way you will not have to take your bags everywhere with you.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Christina

Since January is the low season, you could probably get good hotel deals as you go. As for where to go...where are you flying in & out of? I would suggest only visiting two cities...and flying into one and out of the other (say into Rome--out of Venice). This saves you time.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:34 PM
M

Franco,

I agree that you should spend most of your time in Rome with a two or three night sojourn to a second city, but no more than that. I recently spent 7 nights in Rome itself (it was my fourth time there) and still did not see all that I had hoped. If this is a first visit for you, I would book hotels in advance and choose Rome and either Florence or Naples depending on your interests. If you choose Naples for three nights, you could spend a day seeing the city proper and another day perhaps in Pompeii or Herculaneum.

M

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:37 PM
TotallyLost

Oh boy are you going to be really lost when you actually get there, Franco.