Search

Italy Itinerary opinions please

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Itinerary opinions please

Hello friends:

I'm traveling solo to Italy and arriving in Milan the first week of July. I have a special ticket and Milan was the only entry option and this is the only time I can go. I'm arriving 10:30am and can only stay a total of 5 nights. I definitely want to go to Florence and am scheduled in a Forence hotel that evening for 2 nights. I work in a big city and so very much wanted some of this trip to more relaxed and so have chosen Cinque Terre as my second destination. Right now I have a booking in Monterosso for the next 2 nights. Then I have to scoot back up to Milan for my last night in Italy before flying out from Malpensa at 1pm the next day. Here are my questions: am I doing too much traveling for 5 days? Should I stay another day in Florence? Would it be possible to catch an early morning train from Cinque Terre to make my 1pm flight back in Milan? Or is there somewhere else out of the city that's beautiful, laid back and that's not as far as Cinque Terre? Any improvements on this itinerary would be appreciated. Important point: this is my first trip to Italy. Thank you!

Old May 11th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Minerva, With only 5 days I think you are right on. That is a tight loop and very doable in 5 days, and a good contrast of venues. Have fun !
Old May 11th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Not that I think you have a bad itinerary, 'cause I think it's fine. But if you decide to do a little less traveling, you might consider a place along the southern shores of Lakes Como, Maggiore, or Lugano for your waterfront experience. Not the same as the CT, but certainly closer and so convenient to Milan that you can stay there on the night before departure if you pick the right place (such as Stresa or Arona). You could catch the early morning train from CT to get to Milan, but you'd really be pushing it. If you do stay around the lake area, you can spend your 3 nights in Florence and two on the lake, or the other way around. Good Luck.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I think your trip sounds great! I would consider staying in one of the smaller towns in 5 terre. at www.cinqueterre.it you can find rooms for rent. Good luck!
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:22 AM
RAR

Go to the Cinque Terre if you are into hiking, because the hikes there (especially between Corniglia and Vernazza) are really quite beautiful. Otherwise the lakes near Milan would be probably more convenient.