Search

Italy Itinerary HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Itinerary HELP!!!

Hi,

My Family and I (Husband, and two sons aged 16 and 14) are spending 11 days in Italy this August. I have been before but my family hasn't so we want to see all the "touristy" sites. When I have been showing my friends my itinerary, they have been saying its too much and that I need to condense it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Day 1: Arrive in Milan at 9:15 am. Either go to Como or drive to Venice (I remember nothing really to see in Milan)

Day 2: Venice

Day 3: Venice for half a day then drive to Florence

Day 4:Florence

Day 5:Florence

Day 6: Drive around Tuscany and stay in a small town in between Florence and Rome

Day 7: Pompeii

Day 8: Amalfi Coast

Day 9:Amalfi Coast and drive to Rome

Day 10: Rome

Day 11: Rome

Day 12: Leave at 9:45 am out of FCO

Can the Amalfi coast be done in one day? Is this too much? I would really like to try to see this all so if you guys have any changes or tips that would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:01 AM

Use www.viamichelin.com to chart time and distances between your destinations. My first impression is that you and your teenagers will be in a car for a substantial part of your trip--too much for most tastes.
Driving from Milan to Venice after a transatlantic (?) flight would be way too far from my experience--you're just too exhausted.
I know you want to see everything but including Pompeii and the Amalfi coast would be a logical drop and then it allows you to experience the big three--Venice, Florence and Rome more reasonably.

Consider a train from Milan to Venice then rent your car in Venice for the rest of your trip. Enjoy.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I normally diss Milan, but it does have a painting of a meal to visit, a large duomo, an opera, some old trams, an old shopping centre, a castle, a football stadium etc etc. I think you are missing out to easily, but you could go to Bergamo (old town) for the night.

I'd not try for AC in August in a car (unless you were born Italian and have driven there a lot). I'd take the time and spread it amongst your other sites, even so Venice is going to be packed.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:17 AM

I agree with macanimals about waiting until you are leaving Venice to rent a car.

Make certain you are familiar with Florence's rules about where you can actually drive in the city limits. You might consider taking a train to Florence as well then rent a car upon leaving.

Look at Montalcino and/or Montepulciano as towns between Florence and Pompeii.

Also, look at places to drop your car and take train to Rome just to save yourself from big city traffic/stress. I've never driven in Italy so others can give better advice.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:28 AM

Read this about driving restrictions:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com.au/

There is a direct train from MXP to the Como Nord Station taking 1:18. From there it's 4.5 to Venice and a couple of hours down to Florence.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:30 AM

More about ZTLs:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g....In.Italy.html
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:43 AM

I agree with your friends, you need to drop something or seriously all you will be doing is driving around Italian highways which look just like highways anywhere else. Even if you google maps (or via michelin) the times you need to almost double them to figure in traffic tie ups, searching for parking, etc. Way more driving than you think.

Also agree makes the most sense to take the train to Venice and rent a car as you leave. Lots of hassle and expense to park the car. And if you are planning to drive to Venice (as opposed to Mestre) be aware there are sometimes hour long traffic jams (only one road in) in summer, and I've heard the parking can be full. Much better to not have a car there.

In fact, probably a better idea to do the whole trip by train. Even though I know to figure in parking, tolls, gas, etc I'm always amazed how much more the driving trips are than the train trips. Often hotels say they have parking but they mean 3 blocks away in a public (pay) lot. The only place a car would be at all useful on your itinerary is the 'day you drive around Tuscany' - which honestly you cannot do in one day. Extend your Florence stay and take a bus to Siena for the day - or a train to Pisa and Lucca.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Ok thanks so much. So you all think there is no way to fit this all in? Pompeii could be cut out.... How many days would you recommend in each city to see the basic sights?
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 09:54 AM

I think you need to cut one whole region, not one location...pick 2-3 of Rome, Tuscany, Venice and Amalfi coast/Pompeii
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Going into Milan and out of Rome suggests you cut out the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii which will be mobbed in August and take a lot of travel time to and from.
Don't fret about not seeing everything and take the time to enjoy and explore the areas you do visit--your kids will appreciate it.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Skip a car altogether. Too many places you really can't drive (Venice & Florence) and others where it is not needed (Rome & the Amalfi Coast). Sitting in a car for hours usually is not much fun for anyone and not a good way to see anything. Trains go city center to city center, easy, no parking, enjoyable for all.

Why fly into Milan when you have no plans to stay there? The only reason, if you are not sightseeing in Milan, would be if you were going to the lakes. Even then, certainly, do not get into a car and drive after a long international flight. If you are not doing that, then fly into Venice. It is so easy. Less than an hour and you are settled into your hotel and ready for a walk.

You must drop something. You do want to remember places, not have a blurred video memory when you get home. Think about what each places offers. And how to slow down and enjoy it.

Venice: One of the most unique places in the world.
August will be hot everywhere. It is wearing. Allow some time to relax. While it is not a world class beach, it is nice, so a couple of hours swimming on the Lido in Venice might be enjoyable for your boys. Add some time there. Also, actually doing things seem to create more memories than just looking at things. Perhaps the boys could have a gondola rowing class in Venice. Expensive, but they won't forget it.

Florence: all about Art, culture, architecture, history.
Forget driving around in August. Pick a town or two. Take a train or bus there and explore. Get a hotel with a pool!

Honestly, unless you want to skip one of major places or areas on your list, you do not have time to start meandering around to small towns unless you want to focus on that, which depends on your family's interests.

Rome: hot, but so much to do and see, there is never enough time. Even evenings, you can see a lot just walking around. You could also visit Ostia Antica, especially if you did decide to skip Pompeii. It if gets too overwhelming, hit the beach for an afternoon.l

Amalfi Coast: scenery, great views, ruins.
It will be crowded, but beautiful. Get a hotel with a pool and good views. The Amalfi Coast is definitely worth visiting, but is not worth all the travel time for only one day. Spend at least two full days (three nights), (3 days, 4 nights would be better), and do see Pompeii. It will be hot, but go very early in the morning for two or three hours, then an afternoon in the pool. Kids seem to like going to the grotto on Capri, but it will be busy. Naples is really interesting too. The boys "might" enjoy the underground tour. Choose carefully where to stay and what to do. In August, skip crowded busses and take ferries - cooler on the water.

Hard choice. Just told my husband your dilemma and asked what he would choose. He said absolutely without hesitation, cut the Amalfi Coast because Venice, Florence and Rome have so much that you cannot see anyplace else, that the Amalfi Coast is more for a relaxing and hanging out vacation, especially in August.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Cars are just an expensive nuisance in Florence and Rome (and can't be used at all in Venice). Aside from that, on most of these routes, taking the train is considerably faster than driving. Examples: Venice to Florence, 3 hours by car, two hours by train. Florence to Rome, 3 hours by car, 1 1/2 hours by train.

A car would be useful in rural Tuscany, but as your itinerary stands, it's not worth renting a car for one day, in which you're also travelling to Rome.

It's also not worth the long trip to the Amalfi coast to spend just one day there. I would drop either rural Tuscany or the Amalfi Coast. I think rural Tuscany fits best into your itinerary.

I would suggest dropping either rural Tu
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Ok thanks everyone. I think we are going to cut out Amalfi and Pompeii and spend more time in the main 3.
Old Dec 30th, 2016, 04:42 PM

probably good. so i would follow some of above... rent a car as you leave venice, then drop it when you get to rome. florence may be a challenge for the car... look for a place with included parking, or near a large carpark, or outside of town with easy bus/train transportation.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 08:35 AM

Good idea. You will want to go back. Pick up some on present wish list in the future.