Search

Italy itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy itinerary

My family and I will be going to Italy in June. Please comment on our tentative itenerary and possible places that we have seleted to stay. feel free to make any suggestions .

Fly into Rome June 10 and stay at either the Aberdeen,Residenza Cellini, or Albergo Santa chiara for 4 nights (3 days). Visit the Vatican City on the 11, the coliseum, forum, and pantheon on the 12th, and either the Borghese Gallery or the National Museum on the 13th in the morning and the catacombs in the afternoon.

Take the train to Siena for the day on the 14th.and then continue on to Florence in the eveing. Stay 5 nights in Florence at the Hotel Morandi al Crocetta. See the Il Campo, Duomo and Babistry on the 15th. Rent a car and go to the hill towns of Tuscany on the 16th. Visit the Accademia , Museum of San Marco, the Medici Chapels, and the Church of santa Maria Novella on the 17th. Visit the Bargello, the Ufizzi, and San Croce Church on the 18th.

Take the train to Venice on the 19th and stay for 3 nights at Hotel al Piave. Visit the Rialto market, the Frari church, and Sculoa San Rocco on the 19. Take a Gondola ride in the eve. See the Corer Musuem, St MArk's Basilica , Doges Palace and the Campanile bell tower on the 20th. Visit the Academia or Peggy Guggenheim on the 21. Take a cruise to Vaporetto.

Rent a car and travel to the Dolomites (Andalo) where my family is from and spend 3 nights.

Drop the car in Trent and travel to Switzeral and to visit with cousins for 3 nights.

Take the train to Malan and fly back to Chicago
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:57 PM

It sounds like a great trip to me, the only part I would question is the renting of the car for just the one day in Florence. I know there are day tours you could take that would be much easier and would utilize your time for the better.

Friends of mine took a grey line tour for the day to San Gim. and some wineries for the day.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM
yk

Hi-
Two quick comments:
1. Double check to make sure the sites you want to visit are open on the particular day you are planning to go.
2. Reserve entrance tickets to museums ahead of time.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM

bobzeni, If you are in Rome on a Sunday, the via Appia Antica is closed to most auto traffic, a km or so beyond the old city walls. You can get out there by bus, rent a bicycle adjacent to the park headquarters and bike out to the catacombs and roman tombs. It's quite a scene for romans, on bike foot and horseback. You'r in beautiful countryside in less than a half hour.
buon' viaggio
AndrewDavid
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi bob

Nice trip.

You didn't mention the Trevi Fountain in Rome.

Instead of renting a car for the Tuscan hillside experience, I suggest you take the bus to Siena or the train to Lucca for the day. You should also take the no. 7 bus from the Florence train station up to Fiesole.

See my trip report

Ira?s Trip Report
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:44 AM

I agree that getting off a train to see Siena and then continuing on to Florence doesn't make much sense. The train stop in Siena is quite far from the old city. You'd have to take a taxi or bus (and the latter can take forever). A better plan is to go straight to Florence and settle in. Then one day take a bus from Florence to Siena. You can catch them at the Florence train station, and the bus lets you right off in the historic section of Siena. The bus has padded comfortable seating, is inexpensive, and faster than the train. An easy day trip. Enjoy these lovely cities!