Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 Day Itinerary in Italy...Need Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first trip to Europe, we are from the US and live in China at this time. We have traveled extensively so please throw out some ideas...we are open to suggestions!. We are arriving in Rome at 9am Feb. 6th and flying out of Venice on Feb. 15th at 11pm, so I would consider this 10 full days. I have not booked anything other than the flights and have these questions: 1. Is 3 days in Rome enough time to see most of the sites? 2. We plan to travel by train to Florence and make that a base camp for 4 days to explore the region (based on feedback from this site). 3. Should we plan to rent a car for one day or will buses/trains from Florence get us to most cities? We do like scenery and unique destinations. 4. Take the train from Florence to Venice and spend 2 nights and the last full day there before our 11pm flight.
I need lots of help to fill in the gaps...is Pompeii an option during our Rome stay or is it too far to travel? Is Pisa and the surrounding area a good day trip from Florence or should we stick with Siena and other small cities?
Can you also give me some advice on things that are a 'must see' in each of the destinations? Also, any tips on mid range or average/clean hotels would be a plus!
Thanks so much! Any and all help is appreciated (only 3.5 weeks away)!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM

I would give it 4-3-3 with a day trip to Siena from Florence.
In Feb I would skip the car--just bus to Siena.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
jgg

getmovin - bob gave you good advice. I agree that a 4-3-3 split would be best. Pompeii is too far and will take up a full day, so much to see in Rome, stay there. With three days in Florence I would skip Pisa and just see Siena and possibly another town. We did the bus to Siena from Florence and that was very easy.

Here is a link to my trip report, with pictures) from when we did a similar trip (though had just a few more days) but should give you an idea of what to see and how much time things will take:http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...eflorence2005/
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM
mjs

I agree with the above advice. You really only have a half day for Rome for your first day as it will be close to 1100-1200 by the time you make it to your hotel. Hopefully you can find a hotel that will let you check in early so you can freshen up. Daylight will be limited at this time of year with sunset somewhere around 1730. Pompeii will take a whole day and you will need your 3-4 days just to see Rome so I would skip it. I would also see Siena from Florence for a day by bus. Pisa takes about a half day to go and see the tower. You can make the decision for Pisa when you get to Florence.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you for the timely advice! JGG...OMG what an amazing website!
I'll scrap the Pompeii trip and stay in Rome longer. Sounds like the bus is a good option from Florence-Siena; does anyone recommend another village/town/city near Florence that would make a good day trip? Should I try to book hotels now or play it by ear when I arrive in Italy? Lodging for us is about cleanliness and location if anyone has tips