Italy Itinerary

Aug 21st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Italy Itinerary

Hello!
I'm going to Italy on saturday... very excited, as I have been planning this with military precision for months!!. This is our second visit in 2 years so trying to do different things... If anyone has any recommendations on my itinerary please let me know.

Rome - 3 nights staying in Albergo del Senato (i did a last minute drop out of Hotel Raphael).
The places I will be revisiting in Rome are:
The Pantheon (where I got engaged 2 years ago)
St Peters
Piazza Navona
Trevi Fountain
Forum & Colloseum

Places that I will probably not revisit:
Spanish Steps
Sistine Chapel

New places to visit:
Galleria Borghese
Campo de Fiori
Trastevere
The Church that you climb up in your knees!
Shops!

Then, its down to the Gargano peninsula for 6 days, staying in Peschici. We chose Peschici because of the lovely old town and the nice beach (sometimes a rarity in the mainland). I actually heard about Peschici because Nicole Kidman went there on her holidays, and it looked so nice.... So we booked it! Same hotel!

Then after Peschici - on to Naples for two days. I will mind all my belongings carefully and hopefully eat lots of pizza.

Then on to the island of Ponza... Again, we are hoping this will be off-the-beaten track Italy. It looks beautiful, like an uncrowded Capri...

And then home after a total of 2 weeks in Italy... Hopefully I will return home not too much bigger from all the nice food and wine, and with some nice new Italian clothes!

I can hardly wait... it feels like a second honeymoon,

New places to visit:
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:51 AM
rex

I always thought that the custom of climbing up on your knees (which I have never understood) was associated with the Spanish Steps. There is a church up there at the top, of course - - Trinita dei Monti (or something like that).

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM
ira

Hi Claire,

Sounds great, except for climbing up church steps on your knees.

Tell us about it when you get back.
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Nope, its definely a church... I think near the St John Laterans... The steps at this church are apparently the original marble steps where Pontius Pilate stood when condemning Jesus to death. So it has been tradition for people to climb up them on their knees...
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM

The steps aren't technically in a church but in a seperate building across the street from San Giovanni Laterano that was part of the old Lateran Palace. They are called the Scala Santa and lead up to a private papal chapel containing a picture of Christ alledegedly not painted by human hands but rather divine ones. The 28 marble steps that were once in Pilate's Palace are now covered with wood and there are plexiglass openings in the wood for you to view the original stairs beneath.
Enjoy the Gargano; it's a beautful area. Ponza is off the beaten track and very lovely but much different from Capri. It is not as chic and not green at all but dry and stark. Make sure you visit the crescent moon beach. Have a wonderful time!
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:34 PM

Claire93,

Could you please post the name of the hotel you've booked at in Peschici and also in Ponza?

Many thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

No Problem...

Peschici is Hotel Elisa
www.hotelelisa.it
Cost - 58.50 half board per person

Ponza is Hotel Chiaia di Luna
http://www.ponza.com/chiaiadiluna/
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:28 AM

Claire,
You'll have a very nice trip. Besides the following point, I have nothing to add: do not skip the Galleria Borghese and take enough time for it!