Italy In Winter

Sep 26th, 2001, 10:34 AM
suzy

Italy In Winter

I may be postponing my upcoming October trip to Rome and Florence and was wondering what people thought about Italy in Jan, Feb or March? I know it will be colder, with possibly more rain, but can it still be enjoyable? I was just curious whether people had traveled during those months and had found the reduced admission hours, weather, etc. too limiting? Thanks.

Sep 26th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Cristina

My favorite time here in Tuscany is the winter. Toiurism is very low then so the streets are easy to walk (Siena is very difficult to get around with 2 toddlers in a stroller during tourist season)the air is crisp, museums are much less frantic.

Oh and February March is Carnivale (which means a complete zoo in Venice) which is loads of fun. And then there are cenci and frittele, the traditional sweets of carnivale (they have other names in other regions).

Oh I love winter here.

Sep 26th, 2001, 02:29 PM
pam

My mother and I were in Rome and Florence the beginning of March this year. We arrived the day after Ash Wednesday, so we missed the Carnivale but neither did we encounter any unexpected closings for Lent or unaccommodating closing hours (no odder than normal in Italy). It was cold and rainy some days and on the days the weather was lovely (50s and 60sF) it was still colder inside than outside. We had a wonderful time and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Florence utterly redeemed itself to me--our last visit had been in June and it was horridly crowded, as usual, and I regretted having budgeted so much time there. Florence in March was a delight. Feel free to email me privately if you wish.

Sep 26th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Pat

We were in Italy in Jan. 2000 (Jan. 12 -Feb 12). Although we have been to Italy many times it was our first winter trip. I really loved it. No crowds, days were cold but comfortable (we had no rain while we were there.) We stayed in Florence for 5 days and although we had day tripped there several times it was the only time we had been there overnight. Florence was so different...no crowds and we just walked into the Uffizi and for the first hour we were there, there were just a handful of others. The only negative thing was that it was too cold to sit outside and drink that cappucino.

Oct 21st, 2001, 08:57 AM
Dora

Dear People,
winter time is great for visiting Sicily.
January or February are considered cold by local people, but temperature is quite mild, about 14 -16 degrees centigrade , when it is cold, and nature is constrantly green.
There aren't many trees that lose their leaves as there are mainly lemons, oranges and mandarin trees.
You can get some sun tan as the sun is hot all year round.
Besides the nature ,Sicily is also very rich in cultural sites, either museums or Greek, Romen or Arabic remainings.
Sicily is worth a journey, and.... in winter.
Simcerely
Dora

Oct 21st, 2001, 09:01 AM
texasgirl

I've only been to Italy in the winter (December and January) and loved the fact it wasn't very crowded. The only place I found a lot of things closed was the Amalfi coast, but even that was OK, as there were plenty that remained open and no lines anywhere. And in Rome and points south, we had our cappucinos outside, under those lovely little heat lamps _ nice and cozy!