Sep 23rd, 2001, 06:34 AM
Rags

Italy during Christmas?

Our primary idea is to get away from a cold
place (Boston) to a place not so cold.

How's Milan, Venice and Rome during the week
of Christmas.

What's the best way to travel around Italy
as a family of 4? I've done some train travelling in Europe (so comparisons wud.
be useful) ...

How about some coastal destinations in Italy?

Thanks!

Rags

Sep 23rd, 2001, 06:57 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Rags
Christmas Day and Boxing Day are very much for the family here - they can be a bit lonely if you don't have friends to visit, a lot of restaurants are closed for example.
The weather can be good in Rome and the central region but of course it is not reliable.
Assisi is probably the best place to spend the Feast Days (St Francis was thought to be the first to introduce the crib).
Bolzano and very northern areas have Christmas markets and more of a "white Christmas" feel.
Please send me an email if you would like to join up with others spending Christmas in Italy or if you would like further information.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:42 AM
micia

If you come to Milan it will be cold.
Last xmas Milan-Malpensa airport was closed because of snow, not because there was a ton of it, but because they were not prepared. Just wanted to say, we all had snow around here.
I don't want to scare anyone that is planning on coming at this time, as it was the first time in 23 years that MXP had snow., but it will be cold whether we have it or not.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:49 AM
claire

I travelled to Venice by train from Innsbruck the day after Christmas some years ago. Two competing memories....1) I experienced some of the most bone-chilling cold of my life! and 2) No crowds, felt I was seeing Venice in a very wonderful way. Of course, no gondolas and when we took a vaporetto, we stayed inside! But, much of the pleasures of Venice come from walking through its streets. And, every few steps we'd duck into a trattoria or caffe for something warm to drink. This year, I visited Venice in August and loved it. Truth is, I'd visit Venice any time I had a chance, no matter what the weather. Just dress for cold if you go in late December!

Oct 21st, 2001, 09:05 AM
Dora

Rags,
if you are looking for a warm place durind Christmas time , that is Sicily.
It doesn't rain very often and temperature never gets below 14 -16 degrees centigrade. Christmas day may even be 22 degrees centigrade, you can walk just with your pullover on. If you want more information on Sicily, places to see and to stay, let me know .
Sincerely
dora