Italy in the end of April.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Italy for 12 days in the end of April. We fly into Florence and meet the in-laws and two other couples there. After a one night stay we go just outside of Sienna for a week at a home we rented. After the week my wife and I go to Rome for 3 days.

We have been tasked to plan a day around the house. So far we have a bike ride from Montepulciano and a wine tasting in True Rita. What day trip can we plan? I was thinking of a coastal town?

Also I have read to stay in the city center in Rome. I would like to spend around $150 to $200 a night. Any suggestions? I would also like to take my wife on a nice romantic dinner one of the nights?

What do we HAVE to see in Rome in 3 days? If we are not of the catholic religion should we still go to The Vatican and surrounding areas?

This is our first time to Europe and we are really excited. We are celebrating my wife's 40th so I want to make it the best trip I can.

Thank you all ahead of time for your help.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM

well I think one day in Rome for the ancient sights - Collesium, Forum etc. and another for yes, the Vatican. Even if you are not Catholic, it is a sight to behold. We really enjoyed climbing the dome - first you take an elevator to where you can look down at the interior of St. Peters, then you climb the dome to where you can step out and gaze over all of Rome. Then your 3rd day for "others" - Trevi Fountain, Campo di Fiori, Borghesi museum, long lunch at outdoor cafe! - lots of choices!

There are also many hotel choices - we stay near Termini because it is convenient and moderately priced - we like Hotel Sonya. No hotel is going to be super convenient to every sight, esp. the Vatican as it is a bit distant from the ancient city. But you can get around easily on the buses that radiate out from Termini. But others will say, Termini area, no way. www.venere.com is good for finding a hotel - you can enter your dates and search by area. We used to stay on the Aventine Hill which is a lovely, residential area but a bit out of the way.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:42 AM

I could not be less religious (of any stripe), but I'll be visiting the Vatican to see the treasures it houses. There is not only significant art like the Sistine Chapel, but also an astounding collection of Greek and Roman sculpture. I am enjoying reading Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History by Robert Hughes to prepare.
In addition to guidebooks, sometimes you can catch some good educational tv on channels like Discovery/Travel, etc. that show an overview of the palaces.
Of course you should never feel obligated to see anything unless you want to, but don't be under the impression that you must be Catholic to appreciate the Vatican's significance.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM

Will you have a car/cars during your stay outside of Siena? What are the common interests of the 8 people involved? Food, history, archtecture or ???? That would help people make more meaningful suggestions.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you'll have at least two cars while staying near Siena.

Do you mean Tua Rita? If so, you'll be driving more than 90 minutes from the Siena area to Suvereto which is very near the coast. Do you want to make another drive to the coast on a different day (likely following part of the same route as to Tua Rita)?

http://www.tuarita.it/eng/dove-siamo.aspx

How about seeing an abbey or two. You could hear the chants at Sant'Antimo and/or enjoy the grounds and cloister of the beautiful Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore (closed mid-day for lunch and prayer). I prefer Monte Oliveto Maggiore, but visiting Sant'Antimo would take you through Montalcino which is worth a stop. If you still had time, you are very close to San Quirico. You need to time your abbey visits carefully if you want to hear the chanting or even enter the grounds of Monte Oliveto Maggiore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_of_Sant'Antimo

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/monte_oliveto.htm

You'd also be close enough for a day trip to Volterra with perhaps a "drive-by" or short stop in San Gimignano. Personally, I find San Gimignano more interesting when viewed from a distance, with its towers rising above the landscape. Many others love San Gim, so many that the town is usually jammed during the day. There is more to see in Volterra.

Or a drive through Chianti... Depending on how fast your group likes to move, you could head to Castellina, Radda, perhaps Panzano and then back to Siena.

Rome. I'm not a religious person, but I'm fascinated by the architecture and art of the many churches and museums like the Vatican Museums and the Borghese Gallery (reservations required). I also have a lot of interest in the Roman Empire, so I'm drawn to the archeological ruins and ancient structures encountered throughout the city. You just can't imagine how much there is to see. Three days will not be enough time, so you'll need to prioritize your personal interests and start a to-do list for your next trip to Rome.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ttt 4 later
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

We are going to have cars from the villa but not in Rome. The group is into wine, food, history, architecture. The only thing i really want to see is the colosseum. After that i am open to anything interesting and different. The abbeys sound interesting.
Spell check corrected Tua. I would not want to go back the same route to see the coast. Maybe we will squeeze it in while at Tua Rita.

This is so completely new I am having a tough time figuring out what's where, how far things are? Even with lodging in Rome I'm trying to figure out if to stay near the colosseum , Termini station, Ancient city of Rome etc.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are the others flying home from? You'll want to figure out where to return the cars. It would be easy for you if you returned one/your car at Chiusi or Orvieto and then took the train into Rome.

maps.google.com can help you see what's where, but you'll need a map to carry while you're in Rome so why not buy the "Streetwise" map now. Order from Amazon, and you'll have it by Friday. You'll also want a good driving map for Tuscany. Touring Club Italiano sells a great one, but it's the size of a table cloth.

http://www.amazon.com/Streetwise-Rom...twise+map+rome

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscany-Toscan...+italiano+maps

The Google site can plot the shortest walking route between points (click on the pedestrian icon rather than the car or bus icon before you click 'search').

We prefer to stay in the area bordering Campo Marzio (4th District) and Colonna (3rd District), but Rome is a very walkable city so I wouldn't get too hung up on where to sleep. Here's a website that describes the districts and notes the main sights within each district.

http://roma.andreapollett.com/S5/rione01.htm
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:46 AM

personally I prefer to stay in the area around the Piazza Navona/Pantheon - and there are several recent threads recommending hotels in that area. you are then within walking distance of virtually everything you will want to see plus lots of great restaurants and cafes, apart possibly from the colosseum and forum which you can easily reach on the bus.

but as Jean says, the public transport is very good and walking in Rome is easy.

and wherever you stay, you'll do a lot of it!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 08:53 AM
jgg

I agree with annhig, with only 3 days I would stay in Piazza Navona/Pantheon area. They are centrally located and easy to walk almost anywhere from there.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 10:32 AM

For your day plan, I know a man whose business is renting out Ferrari's in Tuscany. I always thought that would be an awesome thing to do-- driving a Ferrari around the Italian countryside.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:12 PM

suec1's suggestions of what to do in Rome look good to me, but I'd probably not do the Borghese Gallery on a first trip--Vatican Museums will probably exhaust your desire to see museums.

Instead, on the third day, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and some of the many churches in Rome that you can walk easily walk to from that area, walk into, look around for a few minutes and leave. There are lots of architectural masterpieces in Rome.

Get an "Eyewitness Travel Guide"--you can get the latest for around $15.00, or you can often find a used one at a used book store or sale. Even though it's quite heavy, it has good street and building plans and will help you to zero in on what you want to see--and also to start working on a list for your next trip to Rome. A used one is fine for this purpose as the masterpieces don't move around. Just make sure (from internet) that things will be open when you will be there.

Vatican Museums and St. Peter's are a must, regardless of your religion or lack thereof. And they will help you avoid the "Monday Trap"--most everything in Italy is closed on Monday, but not the Vatican Museums.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

What about currency? Do you buy Euros there? Buy them here? Use ATM card ?

Also has anyone taken the train from Sienna to Rome? Which one do we take and how far in advance do I buy tickets?
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 08:34 AM

You use ATMs once you get there - by far the easiest and least expensive option.

Regarding the Vatican, I have the contrarian view. I grew up Catholic and cannot stomach the place - hideous excess at every turn. The Sistene Chapel is a sight to behold, of course, but the rest of it should be sold to save the developing world, IMO. On such a short visit, I wouldn't consider the Vatican to be a necessity - I'd rather poke around in all the lovely Roman churches that hold so much beautiful art.

The Italian train website is www.trenitalia.com. I haven't taken a train from Siena to Rome but have taken and enjoyed many an Italian train. They are cheap and for the most part reliable.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Yes, use your ATM card. Italian ATM's (bancomat) do not charge you a fee. ("Dove il bancomat?")

I also second a vote for Mount Oliveto Maggiore. Phenomenal! Don't miss the amazing choir stalls!

I agree that if you are responsible for keeping/taking one car with you, that you drop it in Orvieto and train into Rome. (Driving in Rome can be completely unnerving- you will see why, once you arrive.)

Agree to not spend time in Borghese this trip- but do book a reservation online for the Vatican Museums (this ticket price includes a visit to the Sistine Chapel). You cannot buy them online just now, but you can make a reservation. This helps you skip all the tourists in line who did not make one. Here is the website: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...nfo_Orari.html

People here will tell you that 1pm is a good time to go to avoid the most crowds. However, I feel strongly that the Sistine Chapel is best seen before midday, due to lighting, geography, etc. Just my humble opinion.

You might check out purchasing the "Roma Pass" also. This has many benefits. Your first two entrances to included sites are free; the remainder are discounted. You also get a discount on the 110 Open Bus, which is kind of fun (double decker open-air bus) and gives you an overview of Rome. Here is the website: http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2 This pass also includes unlimited rides on the Rome city buses, trams and city trains (metro) until midnight of the 3rd day after using your card for the first time. (So, if you use it to get into the Colosseum on Monday at 10am, you can ride until midnight on Wednesday.)

Personally, I love the Roma Pass for its best feature- if you use it for one of your first two free entries- you can bypass the lines at the Colosseum! If you have the pass, stay left when entering the Colosseum entrance. You will see signs on the ceiling reading, "Roma Pass". There are turnstyles. You put your card in, the turnstyle lets you go through, you grab your card out the other side and away you go!

One final note- do go to your nearest big box book store and browse the travel guides. Find one that works for you. I love the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide, but there are several good options. For driving, Michelin maps for Italy driving are the most-recommended.

Buon viaggio! You will love Italy!
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Oh, PS- I can recommend a lovely, romantic restaurant near the Trevi Fountain. You could dine there and then wander down to the Trevi for a very romantic evening. Here is the website for Il Chianti: http://www.vineriailchianti.com/
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM

as an alternative to the Roma pass, you can book your colosseum tickets on line, including a visit to the underground area and/or a guided tour:

http://www.coopculture.it/en/ticket....&id=2&evento=6
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:35 AM

I 'Third" staying as central as possible in Rome. The historic center is very walkable. You may want to take the bus to the Vatican and then walk your way back. Same with the Coliseum, as they are at the opposite ends of the historic area.

'Albergo del Senato' is a wonderful hotel. They have a web-cam on their site that lets you watch the square in between the hotel and the Pantheon.
I stayed at the 'Boutique Hotel Trevi', literally steps from the Trevi fountain. Location was unbeatable, it was clean, ample breakfast.
I like 'Tripadvisor' to check out hotels.
Get yourself a good map so you can see the hotel in relation to sights, train station, etc.