Italy in Feb: Is it worth it?

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in Feb: Is it worth it?

My good friends are planning a 5 day trip to Italy for February (it's all the time they can take off from work) and they asked me (their travel expert) for some advice. So I am turning to you--the real experts--for help. They are interested in Rome and Venice. Is it worth going in Feb or will it be too cold? Most importantly will museums and attractions, etc. be closed then?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM

does the 5 days include your travel time? Does it HAVE to be Feb.? If so, I'd jump at the chance to go anytime, but would rather go to Rome than Venice during the colder, rainy season.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Yes it is worth it. I went the first two weeks of March and the weather, then, was fine.

Rome was 52-57 degrees F. with two days of light drizzle. If you need it, a light waterproof jacket did fine.

Does the 5 days include travel, or include it? If they have 5 full days in Italy, I would do Rome only, with maybe a long day trip to Florance, on their own not with a tour. If they only have 4 days, stay in Rome.

If they do go to Florence, tell them to take the earlyist EuroStar (ES) or Rapido. These trains will take around 1 hour and are nonstop. For the return, they can take the latest ES or Rapido or a late Intercity (IC)

If they arrive in the A.M., they need to start their sightseeing right after check in. Get some "sleep" before the plane lands. If they arrive in the PM, stay awake on the plane.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I spent a week in Rome in February, 2004. Really worth it. Nothing closed as far as I could tell. Attractions were uncrowded for the most part. The Romans were wearing winter clothes, but we (from Massachusetts) thought it was relatively warm.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:24 PM

We've been to Italy in February three times. Yes, it's worth it!

Imagine seeing Piazza Navona or San March with just a scattering of people about.

All in all, we have had really good weather and, like Nikki, usually thought the temps were rather warm, even though the Romans were bundled up for real winter. (And we are from Alabama).

In the interest of full disclosure, though, I must report that we had snow in Rome one year! We loved it (we're Alabamians, remember?), and the Romans seemed to, also. Some told us that it was the second snow in 18 years. (The first had been two months earlier, in December.

Byrd

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Personally, I think anytime I had a chance to go to Europe would be worth it. I'm going to Copenhagen and Stockholm, leaving the 28th of Dec...I'm taking my "woolies" and I'm thinking I'll need one of those miners head lamps around my forehead..it's dark most of the day, and a seeing eye dog and I'm all set!!!!! So, go and have a great time!!!!!!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM

After my last trip to Rome in late May (scorching hot and crowded), I remember my late Feb/early March trip quite nostalgically.

Weather, is, of course, variable, but in my experience Venice was significantly colder than Rome. Still enjoyable, though. Coat-scarf-and-gloves weather.

Honestly, I'd go anytime.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM

The shortform answer is: Italy is worth it any time of the year!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
rfb

Italy is always worth it.

In the hot, humid miserable summer and in the cool, sometimes rainy winter.

Last February and March were, in general, great although we did experience more than the normal amount of rainfall and a little snow at higher elevations.

I'd go again in Feb and March with no hesitation. The real bonus is fewer tourists, meaning museums will not be as packed as during regular visiting times, also they'll have the chance to enjoy the country, probably as close as you can get to what it's really like when it's not being overrun by hordes of people like me.

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM

I'm with most everyone else - I would never pass up a chance to go to Italy. However, if it is truly only 5 days, I would pick only 1 place to visit. And, given the time of year, I would choose Rome ( I luuvvv Rome!), but would go to either. Just pack smart and dress in warm layers!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM

We went the last of Jan. We spent 7 days in Rome which I think for a trip of 5 days would be the best thing as there is so much to see and do. The weather was cold,but clear. Things are not as crowded. Everything in Rome we wanted to visit was open. I would definitely take the trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Beth23, we're interested in your travel time! Come back and chat.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everybody for their input. I think the consensus is in favor or Italy in February. I will pass this news on to my friends.
Old Sep 14th, 2005, 03:42 PM

If your friends are going in late Feb, I would find out whether or not carnivale is going on in either Viareggio or better yet Venice. It's a great party.......