Italy in 9 days

Dec 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM
amn
Original Poster

Italy in 9 days

Hi, I'm going to Italy with my 19 year old niece from January 4th - 13th. Right now we are planning on being in Rome for 3 nights (1/4 - 1/6), Florence for 3 nights (1/7 - 1/9), Venice for 2 nights (1/10 - 1/11) and then one night free (1/12, either Venice or Rome) we fly out of Rome the afternoon of January 13th. Two questions: (1) We would like to go to a nice resturant and/or do something fun for my 41st birthday on January 6th - any suggestions? (2) Since we aren't staying anywhere very long any other dining suggestions would help. Thanks!
Dec 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Spend January 12th in Rome. You never know when the railroad will choose to go on strike. I always feel safer spending the night before my flight in Rome.

In the meantime go to the search screen at the top of this page and type in "Rome AND restaurants". You'll find scores of recommendations. Have a great trip.
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi am,

I would also be in Rome the night before my plane leaves.

Have you considered flying into Venice VCE and out of Rome? It will save you 1/2 day on the train.

Dining recommendations in Venice and Florence are in my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044

You might also find this thread helpful:

Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Have a nice visit.

Dec 12th, 2005, 04:13 PM
amn
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I actually put together the trip on a major budget (always wanted to go to Italy and this is when my niece could go). I got the flight for $500 each rt to Rome and bought tickets for three trips on the train. That's how we decided to go to Florence and Venice. I will certainly plan on staying in Rome on the last night.

Ira - What a great trip report. Thanks! I wrote down resturant ideas (as well as some of the wine names). Can't wait!
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM

amn, January, 6th is a holiday in Italy, La Befana, if I'm not wrong. Most everything, meaning shops, and some restaurants, will be closed.
Dec 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Restaurants in Florence:

Aqua al due: very popular with young people, your niece will love it. If you do go, get the pasta sampler (5 different pastas to try) and the blueberry steak or pollo balsamico. very reasonably priced.

Il Latini: a very touristy restaurant, but well worth it. There is no menu, it's whatever the restaurant feels like serving!

La Giostra: My favorite restaurant and one of the nicest in Florence. You cannot go wrong with anything you eat here.

Vivoli: the best gelato in Florence, possibly all of Italy. It's known by everyone!

Search this Thread