Italy Ideas / Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My famiy has come up with an itinerary and I don't know how doable but am looking for suggestions:
1 night in Milan, 1 night in Venice, 2 nights in Florence, 2 nights in Capri & 2 night in Rome? Does the train run throughout these cities or would we be better off renting a car? Also, if we take the train and just spend the day for instance in Milan instead of checking into a hotel, are there lockers for our luggage? I heard Capri is a beautiful island and beach? We have never been and want to see alot but don't want to overbook?
Thanks!
Susie
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Personally I would skip Milan (is that where you are flying in?) and do 2 nights Venice, 2 Florence, 2 Rome, 2 Capri.

Actually I would take out Capri and add those to Rome...to be entirely honest.

When are you going? Where are you flying in and out of? Is that all the time you have, or can you get more time to travel?

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM

We have just returned (literally got home at 1:00am last night). In my opinion spending only one night in any locale is a waste. Our Milan to Venice leg took us until 3:30pm to get into our room. I look at your intinerary as 3 good days and the rest is inconvenient.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM

In your short time I would pick 2 destinations and enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I agree...you are spreading yourself way too thin. I would skip Milan and Capri and add the days to Venice, Florence and Rome. I'd rent a car if you were planning on leisurely driving through Tuscany, etc. Since you are short on time...take the train because you certainly don't want a car in Venice, Florence or Rome! As soon as you get home, start planning for the NEXT trip to Italy and then schedule the Capri, southern Italy itinerary.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Hi memorygal,

Having been to all your destinations, I ditto Bob's advice. Pick 2 and enjoy! Anything else will earn you lots of hassle and views of the inside of trains.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM

You either need to eliminate Milan and Capri (at a minimum) or plan to spend more time in Italy! Milan was a day trip for us - and we could have done without it. IF you do go to Milan, however, you need to book tickets to see "The Last Supper" BEFORE you go - there's quite a waiting list. I would spend all my time in Venice and Rome, if I only had a week. Florence was wonderful - get tickets to the Museum (to see "David&quot before you go. Seeing that statue was the highlight of our Florence stay. Wonderful! Rome is also incredible. The Vatican takes a whole day, the Forum and the Coliseum take another day. Don't forget you need to build in travel time.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Each time you change hotels on this itinerary you will lose at least half a day (probably more) with travel and hotel check-in and check-out, whether in a car or by train. I would think that car would probably take more time because of unfamiliarlity with the roads and driving conditions and city driving.

For example, I list the typical train travel time between your destinations, not including travel time between stations and hotels (transfers) which could add another hour at least to each trip.

Milan to Venice: 3 hours
Venice to Florence: 3 hours
Florence to Capri: 3.5 hours plus a ferry
Capri to Rome: 2 hours plus a ferry

I agree--Less destinations or more nights.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Another vote for two destinations max.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Yep, pick two, from among the following options:

Venice & Florence
Florence & Rome
Venice & Rome

Are your flights already booked? If you're only staying in Milan the one night to see The Last Supper I'd skip it.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Another vote for two.
No need for a car with any of these destinations.
Rome ,of all mentioned, really needs the most time. Do 4 or 5 nights there and the remainder in either Venice or Florence.