Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy Honeymoon - Ischia and... Capri? Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We are planning our September 2024 honeymoon and have 10-11 days to travel. We will be flying in/out of Rome and will likely spend 2 nights there on our way back from the trip. I would prefer to ensure the trip is fairly laid back and chill... and would love some advice. I have been to Positano, Praiano, Capri (day trip), and Ravello but my partner has not.. We both really want to spend about 6 days on Ischia (including a boat day) because it seems a little less americanized and less chaotic. However, I feel like my partner should at least SEE Positano or Capri (or maybe Sorrento where I have never been?) so I am wondering if it makes any sense to try to incorporate a night or two there, or if it is just not worth going out of the way for in terms of travel logistics and cost.

I would appreciate any insight or perspectives as to if we should go out of our way so he can see it, and if so, the best way to do so. OR maybe just some different suggestions of a place to go after Ischia/before Rome!

Thank you in advance
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 08:32 PM

https://culturedvoyages.com/capri-or...both%20islands.

This article might help. I think I would stay someplace like Sorrento (up in the hill area, not town center) for a couple of nights, but do a ferry trip down the AC for gorgeous views of Positano from the water and for possibly doing a tour of Pompeii (and Herculaneum) if your partner has an interest in that. Personally, Herculaneum was a highlight of visits to the Naples area and Pompeii is amazing.
You could do a day trip by ferry to Capri from Ischia. I have been to Capri twice and the crowds and busy shopping vibe is kind of a turn off to me.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 01:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ischia is way nicer than Capri, don't forget to try the naturally heated beach sand on Ischia.

A lot of different ferries leave from Naples https://www.traghetti-napoli.net/

If you do the rest of this trip you might like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paestum

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 10:51 AM

Hi OP NON,
Trust me when I tell you, BB is correct: Ischia will def serve you better than overpriced and crowded Capri.
Our TR below includes mention of a fantastic rental with a world-class view in Ishia Ponte, the most charming and authentic village on the isle.
Seriously, that rental would be perfect for a honeymoon, hot tub and all!
I am done. the trip report
Beyond Capri: an Ischia TR
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by zebec
Hi OP NON,
Trust me when I tell you, BB is correct: Ischia will def serve you better than overpriced and crowded Capri.
Our TR below includes mention of a fantastic rental with a world-class view in Ishia Ponte, the most charming and authentic village on the isle.
Seriously, that rental would be perfect for a honeymoon, hot tub and all!
I am done. the trip report
Beyond Capri: an Ischia TR

I'd spend the time on Ischia and skip the Amalfii Coast towns on this trip. I would also advise booking your hotels as soon as possible.

I wrote this Trip Report after our stay there. Although some things have changed (restaurants, prices, etc) much is still relevant. We loved the hotel Il Moresco, and the restaurant that we ate at twice, in the hills above Forio, is still there and going strong.

RETURN TO CAMPANIA--ISCHIA CASTS ITS SPELL

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 06:06 PM

I agree with all those who say, just Ischia. I think you could spend 6 days there and 4 in Rome and it would be a great trip. You could always do a day trip to Procida. The other places mentioned (Capri, Positano) will be packed with tourists and after Ischia it can be less delightful. We were in Ischia last September and stayed in the Porto area. FWIW my husband thought the Porto area was a little hectic...but it was all Italians! I'd check out the two options mentioned above as those looked quite nice to me online.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:46 AM

Although I’m hesitant to share this - Ischia is great. Few Americans, beautiful and with lovely beaches and thermal waters. I’ve stayed in the Port off season, but last summer we were on the other side of the island in Panza and Forio, which was less densely populated. If the seas are calm, you can catch a ferry from Naples to Forio, but if the seas are rough you’ll be dropped in Ischia Port and will need to take a bus to the west side. It isn’t difficult with the bus terminal a few minutes walk from the port.

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by No_Notice3045
Hello,

We are planning our September 2024 honeymoon and have 10-11 days to travel. We will be flying in/out of Rome and will likely spend 2 nights there on our way back from the trip. I would prefer to ensure the trip is fairly laid back and chill... and would love some advice. I have been to Positano, Praiano, Capri (day trip), and Ravello but my partner has not.. We both really want to spend about 6 days on Ischia (including a boat day) because it seems a little less americanized and less chaotic. However, I feel like my partner should at least SEE Positano or Capri (or maybe Sorrento where I have never been?) so I am wondering if it makes any sense to try to incorporate a night or two there, or if it is just not worth going out of the way for in terms of travel logistics and cost.

I would appreciate any insight or perspectives as to if we should go out of our way so he can see it, and if so, the best way to do so. OR maybe just some different suggestions of a place to go after Ischia/before Rome!

Thank you in advance
Both Positano and Capri are stunning, so, the choice is difficult. I would choose Capri for her uniqueness