Italy: Help me fill in 4 days in Umbria or Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking the advise of others and re-posting this with a new title.

We have about 10 days in Central Italy with friends before going on to our final destination which is France. DH and I are going early for our 1st visit to Sicily. The only "have to" for our friends is 2 or 3 nights in the Cinque Terra (place to be determined later) and 3 nights in Florence (we always stay at Hotel Casci and will do it again). Right now I am trying to figure out where to stay for the other 4 days. Our heart is in Malvarina, but my mind tells me to try another agriturismo in Tuscany which offers the same kind of magic that Malvarina, in Assisi, has (simple accomodations and fabulous meals cooked by Maria). We would like to go to Orvieto for a day trip, but also loved Pienza.

Given this, I need suggestions on:

Does it make semse to split our time and spend 2 nights in Malvarina (Assisi) and then an agriturismo near Pienza? If so, suggestions for one near Pienza would be appreciated.

I am just gathering information so we can meet with our friends and have a starting point for discussion. Since they have never been there, I thought it would be helpful to have an outline for them to start from.

Thanks all . Hope I am less wordy and a bit clearer on what I need.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:08 AM

Orvieto is an hour and a half away from Assisi; Pienza 2 hours. Therefore it'd make sense to split your time IMO.

Here's a place enjoyed (near Montalcino)...

http://www.larasina.it
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:48 AM

I second Tuck's suggestion. Happy planning!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I think that may be what we "throw on the table" and see what our friends think. I usually don't like staying places less than 3 days, but because it is fairly close, I think it would be fine.

Thanks for the suggestion on the agriturismo.

I'll be back asking for more suggestions once we talk to our friends. Grazie !
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM

I did not stay in Malvarina near Assisi but my 17 year old son and I took Maria's fabulous cooking class one afternoon. It was the highlight of our 9 day Umbrian trip. Are you planning on that?

We also ALWAYS stay in Hotel Casci when in Florence, have a great time.

As for splitting your time, we took separate vacations for Tuscany and Umbria, with about 9-10 days in each area. That is my personal preference, i.e. not to change hotels and venues more than once every 3-4 days. If you have already seen Tuscany, and are now in Umbria for the first time, I would say, stay there and explore. There is SO much to see, we spent 9 days and did not see enough !!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

We have spent a bit of time in both Umbria and Tuscany. Since we are going with friends who are more limited in their time, I thought splitting the 2 areas would give them a little "taste" of each. I am now leaning more towards the agriturismo experience in Malvarina and then staying in one of the towns in Tuscany such as Casole d'Elsa.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 08:53 PM

I fell in love with Montalcino in southern Tuscany on a day trip for just an hour, some years ago. So much so, that I chose to spend an entire week there 6 months later and to base ourselves there for Tuscany day trips. I highly recommend this town, if you are still looking. We chose to stay in the village proper but there are several highly recommended agriturismos (on this board) in the area.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:23 AM

We stayed at Cretaiole last June and couldn't have been more pleased. The family is gracious and provides lots of local information, and the apartment was lovely, with views over the valley to Pienza. Great location between Pienza and San Quircio. I dream of returning!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Enewell: this place looks wonderful (and a good price). It looks like there is not a restaurant or meals provided there, is this correct?