Italy Guide Books

Feb 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Italy Guide Books

ANy suggestions?

Went to book store yesterday and looked through them- I wanted to buy them all!

Rick Steve's looked good- He had the Italy 2007 and then smaller ones for each city/town? Didnt know which was better?

Going to Rome/Florence/Venice adn Almalfi Coast- Hoping to get some Tuscan Towns in there too....

Thanks for the suggestions!

Any
Feb 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Traveled to Europe on several occasions. Never took an organized tour. Purchased sevral guide books: Frommer's; Steve's; Lonely Planet; and D&K. Different perspective on same location.
Feb 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM

We like Rick Steves book.
Love Amalfi & positano. Infact Rick Steves did a tape on that area and it's really good and pretty informative. It made us wish we were going there this yr.
Feb 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I love Knopf Mapguides. They are a dedicated to specific cities and are light and small. THey are divided by neighborhoods and offer a map per neigbhorhood that is a great size, with large print, perfect for reading under a street lamp at night. Each section has a map and then lists points of interest, restaurants, bars, night spots, and shops per neighborhood. I don't leave home without it.

I also like DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides. Those are my favorites
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:19 AM

I like the Rick Steves books. He seems to include the little things, like locations of taxi ranks near Rome attractions for example. Coincidently, I purchased the Rick Steves Italy book about 3 weeks ago!
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I like Rick Steves too. It's good for starters and easy to carry. But my favorites are Cadogan guides. I've worn out the Cadogan Veneto guide and also their Tuscany/Umbria Guide.
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM

I have the book " Italy for Dummies" and absolutely love it..
seriously....
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM

Michelin Green Guides are my favorite.
Feb 14th, 2007, 05:08 AM

I hate lugging guide books around and have never found just one that meets my needs. I am not looking for hotel or food suggestions, more of a great map and some of the historical details as well as neighborhood perspectives.

I pick then all up at the library and photocopy what I need from each. Then, I combine that with my printed internet research and bring that with me, tossing as I go.