Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy for US Citizens - no super green pass?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question and hopefully respond.

My husband and I are planning to (hopefully) go to Italy in April 2022 with my parents. We are from the United States and thus aren't able to get a green pass or super green pass. We will all be vaccinated & boosted and understand the entry requirements to enter the country. My question is- will our CDC-issued white card be enough to get us into restaurants/public transportation/cultural sites? I understand that the CDC white card is supposed to be equivalent to a green pass/super green pass but I am just wondering how the general population is looking at these white cards? Are the people who are checking the QR code super green pass accepting the white paper cards for entry to places? Is there any way that we can get a QR code that will scan as well? Would love to hear from some US citizens who have been in Italy recently.

Thank you!
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by jessicasefcik
Hello everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my question and hopefully respond.

My husband and I are planning to (hopefully) go to Italy in April 2022 with my parents. We are from the United States and thus aren't able to get a green pass or super green pass. We will all be vaccinated & boosted and understand the entry requirements to enter the country. My question is- will our CDC-issued white card be enough to get us into restaurants/public transportation/cultural sites? I understand that the CDC white card is supposed to be equivalent to a green pass/super green pass but I am just wondering how the general population is looking at these white cards? Are the people who are checking the QR code super green pass accepting the white paper cards for entry to places? Is there any way that we can get a QR code that will scan as well? Would love to hear from some US citizens who have been in Italy recently.

Thank you!
Hi. My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary by taking a trip to Italy in September. We spent time in Venice, Florence, took a Tuscany excursion, and finished in Rome. We wore our CDC cards around our necks with lanyards or kept them in our money belts. We had zero problems the entire time we were there. They were requested at our hotels, on the trains, at some churches including the Vatican, and at the airport. There wasn't a single restaurant that asked to see ours but they were visible around our necks most of the time when we were out exploring. We did see some signs that said vaccinated visitors could eat inside but anyone could dine al fresco. We requested to eat inside and out of the sun on a hot morning in Venice....the owner seemed a bit apprehensive until we flashed our CDC passes at which time we were happily led inside. Hard to say what the situation will be like in April but I would assume you'll be fine. For what its worth the general consensus was that Italians that depend on tourism were happy to see Americans returning (especially in Venice where desperate gondoliers negotiated to the point of begging)

Last edited by tailsock; Jan 20th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 06:40 AM

Hi, Spent two months in Rome (Nov/Dec 2021). We were asked in nearly all restaurants, all museums and all cinemas, and a few shops for our green card. As soon as we identified ourselves as Americans and produced the original version of our CDC cards (indicating that we had three doses of the vax—me Moderna, DH Pfizer) we were greeted warmly and allowed everywhere. Everyone recognized the CDC card as equivalent of the Italian super green pass.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 12:44 PM

I was in Italy for three weeks November/December and my experience was the same as tailsock and studenttobe --- used the CDC card everywhere and had no problems whatsoever. Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 11:44 AM

I have plans to travel to Italy in May 2022, as of 2/1/22 Italy will not accept anyone whose last vaccine is past 6 months, even the booster. It they don't change this I will have to cancel because I had my booster in September. Hopefully they realize that they will lose a lot of business.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jomicdia
I have plans to travel to Italy in May 2022, as of 2/1/22 Italy will not accept anyone whose last vaccine is past 6 months, even the booster. It they don't change this I will have to cancel because I had my booster in September. Hopefully they realize that they will lose a lot of business.
Hopefully, you have seen recent threads that show that beginning immediately anyone with a booster now has unlimited time for the super green pass. Of course, these rules are good through March 15, so you need to continue to watch. However, based on current information, many experts believe we soon will have a seasonal pause of sorts until next fall.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jomicdia
Where did you see this? I believe Italy considers “fully vaccinated” to be the initial full dosing (1 or 2 jabs, depending on vaccine. As others have said, with the ADDITION of the booster, there is no problem with time limits for US citizens traveling in Italy, and the CDC card will function as the pass.

Of course, things will change, but as of now, you should have no problem.
Old Feb 4th, 2022, 10:11 AM

Italy regulations for USA

Thanks for the posts, 4 of us are planning on going to Italy on 3-122. (It's the 3rd try, lol). Anyone who has arrived in Italy this month, could you give us an update, on what to expect at the airport? Thanking you in advance. I have been following all the changes posted by the government.